New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney can’t create a system though that knowingly excludes valid and reasonable accommodation requests to someone who is legitimately disabled just to try and restrict abuse. That would open them up to numerous lawsuits.

Whether someone thinks it’s for the greater good or not, I can’t imagine Disney would be willing to take that risk.
DAS is not the only type of reasonable accommodation that exists....

Trauma

I didn't get into specifics of a particular disability - because it's not relevant to the point. The poster is building their case that everyone who has a serious issue that genuinely has a need for a special accommodation is already well versed and prepared to present and defend their need.

I'm saying that is an incredibly self-centered, narrow view of the world that doesn't take into account all the kinds of disabilities, levels of planning, and sheer differences WDW is very everything else people do in their life.

The hypothethical of bringing a grandparent was to illustrate something that means bringing people that may not be WDW-centric as you are... and maybe isn't planned out as far as your family vacation... and isn't someone you necessarily have championed for all the time like your own kids... and maybe needs accommodations at a place like WDW DIFFERENTLY than anywhere else they normally go.

AKA - your senior citizen you invite along on a visit may not be as readily armed to lobby and go through the process as a parent who is taking care of some severely developmentally impacted child.

Yet - both are as equally due the ability to visit the park.
Many posters here are the “Hey look at how inclusive I am - I’m an amazing person” type.

Until they have to wait 8 more minutes to ride SDMT.

Then disabled people can pound sand.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
And I totally disagree with that view - I could care less if a few people lie and get away with something. I care a lot if someone who needs to be accommodated is turned away.

If you care more about your 5 minutes in standby then the need of someone who actually needs to use DAS then you need to look at your priorities.
But it’s not a few people, apparently. It’s enough to make a sizable impact.

shambolicdefending

how are they tracking abuse? Guessing if someone does or does not have a condition?
It's probably impossible to track abuse on an individual basis, but it would be very easy to spot signs of it on a macro level.

Disney will have data on roughly how many people are claiming certain types of conditions. It would be fairly straight forward to compare that data to well-researched assessments of the general population and find anomalies. The greater the anomaly, the more likely incidents of abuse are. Combined with all the other guest data Disney has at its disposal, a skilled data scientist would be able to come up with some very good (and I suspect eye-opening) estimates.

Gomer

DAS is not the only type of reasonable accommodation that exists....
Wasn’t implying it was. The poster was saying that he would prefer that Disney sacrifice reasonable accommodation for some percentage of valid recipients in order to crack down on abuse. That is not something they can do even if they wanted to. What that reasonable accommodation is could be many things. But they can’t knowingly give less.

RamblinWreck

Disney can’t create a system though that knowingly excludes valid and reasonable accommodation requests to someone who is legitimately disabled just to try and restrict abuse. That would open them up to numerous lawsuits.

Whether someone thinks it’s for the greater good or not, I can’t imagine Disney would be willing to take that risk.
I believe they actually can do that.

And they’re likely willing to test it in court.

Indy_UK

After a few conversations with some 'in the know' persons.. my concerns are all but gone for my perspective on this..

Despite the 'Autism only' way the original post reads, Disney is playing the requirements close-to-the-vest as to prevent online 'get around' information for those that would abuse..

I guess that goes without saying, but it's definitely happening. they are absolutely going to enforce bans for abuse, and I'm all in on that for the abusers of the system.. Do it.

If they are really going to enable the abuse then thats a couple of UK Vloggers screwed. Go to WDW every few months and use DAS because they ‘struggle with crowds and anxiety’ yet quite happily attend crammed music events the next month

Patcheslee

When this info came out, I sent a note to Disney’s Disability folks, asking for clarification. Here’s their form letter, which repeats a lot of the same info we’ve already seen. But here it is:

“Thank you for your message to the Walt Disney World Resort regarding services for Guests with disabilities.

Disney is committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive environment, and accessible experience for all our Guests. All Guests who inquire about accessibility options during this period of transition are receiving this note to share information ahead of your next visit.

We would encourage you to first explore our website for Guests with disabilities, which has been updated to showcase a variety of accommodations and services to meet different needs.

Additionally, to help you plan your visit, we have developed an Accessibility Planning Guide and Recommendations and a Sensory Experience Guide, which provide pertinent information as well as answers to many Frequently Asked Questions.
There are various accommodations available to meet the needs of our Guests, which may be discussed in individualized conversations within 30 days of a planned visit with our Accessibility Services Cast Members. The Disability Access Service (DAS) is one program offered, and it is intended specifically for those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.

Some Guests enrolled in DAS in the past may be offered alternate accommodations based on the results of their individual conversations. These include Rider Switch, Mobility Services, options for those who may unexpectedly need to leave a queue, and/or other recommendations. Guests who may need accessibility accommodations will be offered an individualized conversation with our team within 30 days of a planned trip (including on the day of your visit, if necessary), to help provide an appropriate match of tools and services.

If you are visiting before May 20, 2024:
Please visit us at Accessibility Services to initiate a connection with our team. You will be connected with a Cast Member via live video to assist you further. Please note that you will need to have access to a video camera and a microphone. During this discussion, if eligible, you may register in advance for DAS between 2 and 30 days prior to your visit.
During this time, you may also request accommodations by visiting a Guest Relations location once you arrive at our theme parks. Our Guest Relations Cast Members will work individually with you to discuss your overall needs to determine which service will be appropriate. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.
Note: If you already have an approved DAS accommodation, it remains valid until your existing expiration.
If your visit begins May 20, 2024 or later:
Beginning May 20 at the Walt Disney World Resort, there will be an updated process for Accessibility Services conversations. Guests can learn more on our website for Guests with disabilities. In this video discussion, health care professionals may be available, if needed, to help determine appropriate accommodations. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.

Please know we will not determine any Guest’s future eligibility until our processes are updated on May 20.”
Received same one asking for more info on the "return to queue info" or when more details would be released concerning it.

TrainsOfDisney

No it’s much more sophisticated than that. The data was posted in the Genie+ thread.
That was just numbers of guests using the Genie+ / LL lines correct? So yes, we know that many guests are using that line. That does not = abuse.

I’m not suggesting that abuse doesn’t happen of course, I’m just saying I would rather have abuse of the DAS system then to turn away guests who actually need to use it.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's probably impossible to track abuse on an individual basis, but it would be very easy to spot signs of it on a macro level.

Disney will have data on roughly how many people are claiming certain types of conditions. It would be fairly straight forward to compare that data to well-researched assessments of the general population and find anomalies. The greater the anomaly, the more likely incidents of abuse are. Combined with all the other guest data Disney has at its disposal, a skilled data scientist would be able to come up with some very good (and I suspect eye-opening) estimates.
This is true. Disney was able to provide quite a bit of evidence of abuse in A.L. v. Walt Disney World Resorts.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Wasn’t implying it was. The poster was saying that he would prefer that Disney sacrifice reasonable accommodation for some percentage of valid recipients in order to crack down on abuse. That is not something they can do even if they wanted to. What that reasonable accommodation is could be many things. But they can’t knowingly give less.
Ah, ok. I got it now!

Happyday

I didn't get into specifics of a particular disability - because it's not relevant to the point. The poster is building their case that everyone who has a serious issue that genuinely has a need for a special accommodation is already well versed and prepared to present and defend their need.

I'm saying that is an incredibly self-centered, narrow view of the world that doesn't take into account all the kinds of disabilities, levels of planning, and sheer differences WDW is very everything else people do in their life.

The hypothethical of bringing a grandparent was to illustrate something that means bringing people that may not be WDW-centric as you are... and maybe isn't planned out as far as your family vacation... and isn't someone you necessarily have championed for all the time like your own kids... and maybe needs accommodations at a place like WDW DIFFERENTLY than anywhere else they normally go.

AKA - your senior citizen you invite along on a visit may not be as readily armed to lobby and go through the process as a parent who is taking care of some severely developmentally impacted child.

Yet - both are as equally due the ability to visit the park.
Exactly and might I add an off subject issue. The parks are so heavily dependent on smart phones right now and we still have some elderly that will not and/ cannot navigate one to save their life😊

Chi84

Premium Member
That was just numbers of guests using the Genie+ / LL lines correct? So yes, we know that many guests are using that line. That does not = abuse.

I’m not suggesting that abuse doesn’t happen of course, I’m just saying I would rather have abuse of the DAS system then to turn away guests who actually need to use it.
Another way to look at it is that abuse of the system is actually breaking it to the point that it won’t be available to guests who actually need it.

Gomer

The relevant laws allow Disney to be much stricter than it currently is - even with the new changes. Disney has chosen to operate a looser policy than many other theme parks. Maybe there was a time when that made sense, but I don't think it does today.
Yes, they most definitely have the ability to reduce the level of accommodation provided currently. Disney goes above and beyond on accommodation and could easily reduce what they offer.

But what they can’t do is exclude someone with. A valid disability from the accommodation they do offer if they know they would otherwise qualify. Designing a system intended to exclude some valid accommodations while including others would be seen as discriminatory.

They would need to either offer alternative appropriate accommodation or somehow prove that they believed the request was fraudulent.

RamblinWreck

I agree with you in principle, but it depends on how bad the abuse gets.

If it’s bad as they say, something had to happen. I’m not sure this was it, but something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom