New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

RamblinWreck

Yes, they most definitely have the ability to reduce the level of accommodation provided currently. Disney goes above and beyond on accommodation and could easily reduce what they offer.

But what they can’t do is exclude someone with. A valid disability from the accommodation they do offer if they know they would otherwise qualify. Designing a system intended to exclude some valid accommodations while including others would be seen as discriminatory.

They would need to either offer alternative appropriate accommodation or somehow prove that they believed the request was fraudulent.
That seems to be what they are at least claiming to be trying to do.

Dranth

Many posters here are the “Hey look at how inclusive I am - I’m an amazing person” type.

Until they have to wait 8 more minutes to ride SDMT.

Then disabled people can pound sand.
Except it isn’t 8 minutes because the problem is the massive amount of ride utilization that is going to DAS, not because of people who need it, but because of the people that don’t. Go back and look at some of the numbers and levels Len was talking about and there is no way that is sustainable. We are talking 6 to 7 of every 10 people that gets let in front of you when in stand by is DAS.

Something has to change and until they can legally demand medical records as proof we are going to have to deal with changing systems that attempt to balance convince with reality in order to combat the garbage people who abuse the system.

Gomer

This is not a fair or accurate summary of my opinion. I'm not in favor of Disney breaking the law.

I'm really just in favor of them not being so nice and easy to take advantage of anymore.
Apologies if I misinterpreted. In general I agree. They should crack down on abuse more. It gives those of us who use DAS appropriately a bad name and makes everyone's experience worse. They just have to be very careful about how they go about that.

Gomer

That seems to be what they are at least claiming to be trying to do.
Yes I agree. They seem to have decided they can reduce overall DAS usage through the use of alternative accommodations for some disabilities. Which is definitely possible. Also might be a disaster ending up with them in court.

As of now I think they are perfectly within legal bounds with the changes rolled out, but they could easily botch that in execution if they aren't flexible and careful in what accommodations they offer those who now will not qualify for DAS.

Trauma

Except it isn’t 8 minutes because the problem is the massive amount of ride utilization that is going to DAS, not because of people who need it, but because of the people that don’t. Go back and look at some of the numbers and levels Len was talking about and there is no way that is sustainable. We are talking 6 to 7 of every 10 people that gets let in front of you when in stand by is DAS.

Something has to change and until they can legally demand medical records as proof we are going to have to deal with changing systems that attempt to balance convince with reality in order to combat the garbage people who abuse the system.
So let’s say that’s true. I have no reason to believe it isn’t.

What does this new system change?

It just changes the lie the liars are going to use.

At best you get some relief with the 4 person limit.

So maybe a 15% reduction at the expense of people with real disabilities being denied.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And I totally disagree with that view - I could care less if a few people lie and get away with something. I care a lot if someone who needs to be accommodated is turned away.

If you care more about your 5 minutes in standby then the need of someone who actually needs to use DAS then you need to look at your priorities.
If the system is being abused it’s a lot more than 5 minues../

The problem with US parks is that they have slowly taken them to the point where they have zero capacity for normal operations and hiccups. So even what you’d think is a small number of “above the line” DAS usage is going to make a significant logjam/cascade effect across the park. We have no room
For any added ingredients

shambolicdefending

What does this new system change?

It just changes the lie the liars are going to use.
This is why I'd be in favor of Disney getting even more strict. I think these changes will be helpful, but I'm not convinced they'll permanently curtail abuse. I am happy that they're at least trying to do something, though.

Trauma

If the system is being abused it’s a lot more than 5 minues../

The problem with US parks is that they have slowly taken them to the point where they have zero capacity for normal operations and hiccups. So even what you’d think is a small number of “above the line” DAS usage is going to make a significant logjam/cascade effect across the park. We have no room
For any added ingredients
This change will not impact standby wait times at all.

Not 1 single second.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
how are they tracking abuse? Guessing if someone does or does not have a condition?
They aren’t…they’re noting DAS is much higher than what would be in the normal statistical range.
What is to stop someone from saying they fit into the new DAS requirements, i.e. autism, if no paperwork is required?

Won't abuse / lies continue?
Intensify…is my guess. The lines suck and genie is leaving a bad taste in everyone’s mouth.

Disney Analyst

Nothing stops it.

People are going to abuse the system as always.

They only people being hurt here are actual disabled people.

Anyone who lies about a disability, to gain some sort of perceived advantage (in their mind), should be ashamed, and may they step on lego.

Not only do they make the experience harder for all guests, but they especially make it harder and worse for those with an actual disability.

Shame on them.

Gomer

Reducing eligibility criteria will certainly curb the use and impact of this service. But to do that and frame it as addressing abuse? Oh boy.

What is to stop someone from saying they fit into the new DAS requirements, i.e. autism, if no paperwork is required?

Won't abuse / lies continue?
To give Disney the benefit of the doubt (a losing proposition usually) we haven't really seen the part of this that is likely intended to curb abuse yet.

They are moving physical disabilities to alternative accommodations that don't require approval as one half of the equation. The other half is how the DAS approval with third party medical support will work in practice. Most of the abuse is presumably happening in the developmental disability space, and that is where they are revamping the approval process. How that plays out and how strict it is will tell us whether they are actually serious about curbing the abuse or not.

Trauma

Its not about making standby better. It's about getting bodies out of the LL queues. Limiting to 4 is a big help.
ROFL

Your that gullible ?

Disney is going to wait a month to measure what type of impact this is making and then start selling more Genie and LL.

The line will be just as full as ever, except with more people paying $$$.

That’s what this is about, and nothing more.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
To give Disney the benefit of the doubt (a losing proposition usually) we haven't really seen the part of this that is likely intended to curb abuse yet.

They are moving physical disabilities to alternative accommodations that don't require approval as one half of the equation. The other half is how the DAS approval with third party medical support will work in practice. Most of the abuse is presumably happening in the developmental disability space, and that is where they are revamping the approval process. How that plays out and how strict it is will tell us whether they are actually serious about curbing the abuse or not.

Wait, no, that’s backwards. Or I’m backwards.

They’re approving developmental disabilities. Not revamping the approval for them. That’s the thing they’re keeping in the yes pile. Everything else goes into the no or maybe pile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom