New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

shambolicdefending

Despite the 'Autism only' way the original post reads, Disney is playing the requirements close-to-the-vest as to prevent online 'get around' information for those that would abuse.
This is exactly what I thought when I read over the changes. Those closely familiar with developmental disabilities will have a very good idea of what this means and who/what will qualify. Those that aren't will have a harder time faking it.

Trauma

After a few conversations with some 'in the know' persons.. my concerns are all but gone for my perspective on this..

Despite the 'Autism only' way the original post reads, Disney is playing the requirements close-to-the-vest as to prevent online 'get around' information for those that would abuse..

I guess that goes without saying, but it's definitely happening. they are absolutely going to enforce bans for abuse, and I'm all in on that for the abusers of the system.. Do it.
No one is getting banned ever.

Unless they are complete morons and start bragging about it or something.

Trauma

I think this is going to be much worse than people are expecting.

It will be a rip the band aid off type of scenario.

Disney has identified another path to grow revenue.

The company is run by a heartless CEO who only wants to save his “legacy”.

I will hope for the best but fully expect the worst.

brettf22

Premium Member
When this info came out, I sent a note to Disney’s Disability folks, asking for clarification. Here’s their form letter, which repeats a lot of the same info we’ve already seen. But here it is:

“Thank you for your message to the Walt Disney World Resort regarding services for Guests with disabilities.

Disney is committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive environment, and accessible experience for all our Guests. All Guests who inquire about accessibility options during this period of transition are receiving this note to share information ahead of your next visit.

We would encourage you to first explore our website for Guests with disabilities, which has been updated to showcase a variety of accommodations and services to meet different needs.

Additionally, to help you plan your visit, we have developed an Accessibility Planning Guide and Recommendations and a Sensory Experience Guide, which provide pertinent information as well as answers to many Frequently Asked Questions.
There are various accommodations available to meet the needs of our Guests, which may be discussed in individualized conversations within 30 days of a planned visit with our Accessibility Services Cast Members. The Disability Access Service (DAS) is one program offered, and it is intended specifically for those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.

Some Guests enrolled in DAS in the past may be offered alternate accommodations based on the results of their individual conversations. These include Rider Switch, Mobility Services, options for those who may unexpectedly need to leave a queue, and/or other recommendations. Guests who may need accessibility accommodations will be offered an individualized conversation with our team within 30 days of a planned trip (including on the day of your visit, if necessary), to help provide an appropriate match of tools and services.

If you are visiting before May 20, 2024:
Please visit us at Accessibility Services to initiate a connection with our team. You will be connected with a Cast Member via live video to assist you further. Please note that you will need to have access to a video camera and a microphone. During this discussion, if eligible, you may register in advance for DAS between 2 and 30 days prior to your visit.
During this time, you may also request accommodations by visiting a Guest Relations location once you arrive at our theme parks. Our Guest Relations Cast Members will work individually with you to discuss your overall needs to determine which service will be appropriate. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.
Note: If you already have an approved DAS accommodation, it remains valid until your existing expiration.
If your visit begins May 20, 2024 or later:
Beginning May 20 at the Walt Disney World Resort, there will be an updated process for Accessibility Services conversations. Guests can learn more on our website for Guests with disabilities. In this video discussion, health care professionals may be available, if needed, to help determine appropriate accommodations. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.

Please know we will not determine any Guest’s future eligibility until our processes are updated on May 20.”

shambolicdefending

Most places you simply ask - I’d say Disney is already extra compared to other locations.
This is definitely not the case for those with the type of disabilities for which Disney says DAS is intended.

Even in terms of theme parks, Disney is unusually lax. The process we went through to get our kids DAS-like accommodations at the local Six Flags was much more strict and thorough, and even that was still very easy compared to the process we go through every year with the local school district, etc.

pigglewiggle

This part:

In this video discussion, health care professionals may be available, if needed, to help determine appropriate accommodations. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.

That is when I would assume if you have a condition that's not Autism or similar, you can talk to the health care professional to describe the issues you are having and why you can't wait in a line. Then they decide what option will be offered to you?

RamblinWreck

After a few conversations with some 'in the know' persons.. my concerns are all but gone for my perspective on this..

Despite the 'Autism only' way the original post reads, Disney is playing the requirements close-to-the-vest as to prevent online 'get around' information for those that would abuse..

I guess that goes without saying, but it's definitely happening. they are absolutely going to enforce bans for abuse, and I'm all in on that for the abusers of the system.. Do it.
That sounds encouraging on all fronts!

I’m curious what a faker would have to do in order to get caught.

haveyoumetmark

The Disability Access Service (DAS) is one program offered, and it is intended specifically for those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.

Some Guests enrolled in DAS in the past may be offered alternate accommodations based on the results of their individual conversations. These include Rider Switch, Mobility Services, options for those who may unexpectedly need to leave a queue, and/or other recommendations. Guests who may need accessibility accommodations will be offered an individualized conversation with our team within 30 days of a planned trip (including on the day of your visit, if necessary), to help provide an appropriate match of tools and services.
This is the key.
This is definitely not the case for those with the type of disabilities for which Disney says DAS is intended.

Even in terms of theme parks, Disney is unusually lax. The process we went through to get our kids DAS-like accommodations at the local Six Flags was much more strict and thorough, and even that was still very easy compared to the process we go through every year with the local school district, etc.
Yes, and that is a new change. In the past, Disney has approved a multitude of conditions for DAS. That is now changing, and DAS will be an accommodation exclusive to a narrower set of conditions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is probably where we disagree.

It's my view that those with a genuine need for accommodations at Disney parks will have inevitably needed them in other places such as school or work. That being the case, they would absolutely be "pros" in dealing with accommodation vetting processes. Even a very strict process by Disney standards would be a comparative breeze.

At the risk of being hypocritically judgemental, I would be quite suspicious of someone who claimed a need for accommodations, but was tripped up by what would be a relatively small amount of red tape compared to what they'd need nearly anywhere else.

So when I decide to invite my 80yr old father to join us at the parks on shorter notice so he can experience things with his great grandchildren.. you expect him to have all the paperwork and be a pro at asking for accommodations... because every other day in his life is like a WDW vacation experience in terms of expectations of stamina, walking distances, time on your feet, queue limitations, etc?

WDW isn't every day life for people. Most people with legitimate impairments are not seeking accommodations everywhere they go because not everyplace is like WDW.

Purduevian

So when I decide to invite my 80yr old father to join us at the parks on shorter notice so he can experience things with his great grandchildren.. you expect him to have all the paperwork and be a pro at asking for accommodations... because every other day in his life is like a WDW vacation experience in terms of expectations of stamina, walking distances, time on your feet, queue limitations, etc?

WDW isn't every day life for people. Most people with legitimate impairments are not seeking accommodations everywhere they go because not everyplace is like WDW.
Without knowing about your 80-year-old father, would a wheelchair/ECV be acceptable accommodations? Because that does not require the video call.

shambolicdefending

Unless your father has a developmental disability, he would likely not qualify for DAS accommodations. Disney will, of course, have other measures in place to help suit his specific physical limitations that would not require the same type of vetting.

If he does have such a disability, it is fairly inconceivable to me that you or he would be tripped up by what would be comparatively easy vetting requirements that a theme park might have. You would most certainly have been through many vetting processes before that would be much more complicated and involved.

Last edited:

pigglewiggle

So, a lot of us are lucky to have a parent in their 80s who can still travel. They are old, can't walk as well, tire easily. That is where a wheelchair or ECV would become useful.

Is there something else that would qualify as a disability? Because I don't think aging is, or a LOT of visitors would qualify. Or is it? I honestly have no idea.

flynnibus

Premium Member

i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

Not because of you... but their line. The idea that Disney is going to be able to keep the accepted/reject results somehow quiet is rediculous thinking on theirs or anyone's part. The Disney sphere is going to document it all along.. and countless bloggers will be interrogating for answers. And it can't be a 'moving target' else disney would keep excluding those it intends to support.

Disney may talk a bit talk about 'enforcing the rules' - but doing so has high stakes here. They aren't going to play a game of chicken, and they aren't opening a CSI: DAS department either.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

You’re on these boards each and every day. Why wouldn’t you tell your father about these new rules and work through them with him?

Disstevefan1

When this info came out, I sent a note to Disney’s Disability folks, asking for clarification. Here’s their form letter, which repeats a lot of the same info we’ve already seen. But here it is:

“Thank you for your message to the Walt Disney World Resort regarding services for Guests with disabilities.

Disney is committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive environment, and accessible experience for all our Guests. All Guests who inquire about accessibility options during this period of transition are receiving this note to share information ahead of your next visit.

We would encourage you to first explore our website for Guests with disabilities, which has been updated to showcase a variety of accommodations and services to meet different needs.

Additionally, to help you plan your visit, we have developed an Accessibility Planning Guide and Recommendations and a Sensory Experience Guide, which provide pertinent information as well as answers to many Frequently Asked Questions.
There are various accommodations available to meet the needs of our Guests, which may be discussed in individualized conversations within 30 days of a planned visit with our Accessibility Services Cast Members. The Disability Access Service (DAS) is one program offered, and it is intended specifically for those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.

If you are visiting before May 20, 2024:
Please visit us at Accessibility Services to initiate a connection with our team. You will be connected with a Cast Member via live video to assist you further. Please note that you will need to have access to a video camera and a microphone. During this discussion, if eligible, you may register in advance for DAS between 2 and 30 days prior to your visit.
During this time, you may also request accommodations by visiting a Guest Relations location once you arrive at our theme parks. Our Guest Relations Cast Members will work individually with you to discuss your overall needs to determine which service will be appropriate. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.
Note: If you already have an approved DAS accommodation, it remains valid until your existing expiration.
If your visit begins May 20, 2024 or later:
Beginning May 20 at the Walt Disney World Resort, there will be an updated process for Accessibility Services conversations. Guests can learn more on our website for Guests with disabilities. In this video discussion, health care professionals may be available, if needed, to help determine appropriate accommodations. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.

Please know we will not determine any Guest’s future eligibility until our processes are updated on May 20.”
I feel sorry for folks who booked their visit well in advance with a understanding of the system at the time of booking and will be visiting after May 20th.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Unless your father has a developmental disability, he will likely not qualify for DAS accommodations. Disney will, of course, have other measures in place to help suit his specific physical limitations that would not require the same type of vetting.

This is a circular argument. You're already taking in the new DAS scoping vs the topic being accommodations for people with disabilities.

You said before "I can assure you that this would not be a common issue for those that deal with genuine, serious disabilities. Working with guest services at Disney would not be their first rodeo."

I can assure you, that Colon and Prostate Cancers and the life altering consequences of the treatment for those diseases are quite "serious disabilities". I also have raised children that required an IEP through their entire schooling, so yes I'm also familiar with documentation, processes, evaluations, and the endless cycle of validating and proving need.

But know what... none of those experiences are things that directly map to "hey, lets goto WDW!".

I get it, you think people are seasoned warriors when it comes to dealing with their loved ones needs - but I'm saying your being exclusionary by assuming that only those who have walked in shoes like your own are the only ones that 'genuinely' need services.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom