New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Disstevefan1

The Anxiety-est Place On Earth TM
anxietyWorld.jpg

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Something I haven't seen but may have missed is the current pre-booking 2 rides with DAS. Does this new setup eliminate that? It seems like an excessive accommodation to me, so I'm wondering if Disney realized that they don't need to offer it (and that offering it encourages abuse by those who don't actually need DAS).

I figured it through this thread that it wasn’t ever an accommodation. It was a carrot. They offered that perk as a way to encourage people to sign up ahead of time

Splash4eva

I’m not sure reasonable accommodations specifies when they’re made, but logically they’d have to have some way of accommodating disabled guests who show up day of, right? Or maybe they can legally say hey we offered the accommodations, too bad you didn’t sign up for them?
I really do not know but i do know most people who visit are no where near knowledgable than people on boards etc. now i understand people have the responsibility to check before they go but im positive there will be plenty of legit visible cases …

Vclguy90

Haha. This is Disney"s way of saying DAS guests are "undesirable" without actually getting.into legal trouble about not being ADA compliant. This is the new bar of low for them. So, if they plan to put permanent bans on people they suspect of "abusing* the system, what quantifies their reasoning for the ban? 'A person not seeming disabled enough for DAS?' I'm pretty confused what they are actually trying to achieve here besides getting increased G+ sales.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Serious question, not trying to be rude or snarky. For people who are saying if they are denied DAS they will not go anymore, why not just purchase Genie+ and ILL? Wouldn’t that be a better solution than just choosing not to go?

I think it’s just the standard response for change. Like, if this person gets elected I’m moving to Canada, or, if they take this item off the menu I’ll Never eat there again.

Give them some processing time. They’ll come around, most likely.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Haha. This is Disney"s way of saying DAS guests are "undesirable" without actually getting.into legal trouble about not being ADA compliant. This is the new bar of low for them. So, if they plan to put permanent bans on people they suspect of "abusing* the system, what quantifies their reasoning for the ban? 'A person not seeming disabled enough for DAS?' I'm pretty confused what they are actually trying to achieve here besides getting increased G+ sales.

They’ve had that disclaimer in there for years. About being banned if you’re shown to be lying. That’s not new

Splash4eva

Serious question, not trying to be rude or snarky. For people who are saying if they are denied DAS they will not go anymore, why not just purchase Genie+ and ILL? Wouldn’t that be a better solution than just choosing not to go?
I do purchase Genie+/ILL but as “successful” as i feel i been with Genie hate to admit that. The experience would not be worth it based on what can ride/not ride along with the price of the trip factoring it all in. DAS along with Genie allows us to enjoy the trip etc

Splash4eva

Day-of requests will still be accommodated. They will need to use the website/video chat to request assistance rather than going to City Hall.

This is the one sticking point that would potentially make the Universal/Six Flags system illegal. I'm glad Disney didn't try to change this.
Ahhh okay. Better than nothing i guess would not be ideal but at least an option

Splash4eva

I think it’s just the standard response for change. Like, if this person gets elected I’m moving to Canada, or, if they take this item off the menu I’ll Never eat there again.

In my case it would not be like all these celebrities that swore they would leave the country when Trump was elected. Already had this convo with my mom last night and she made it clear she would not be able to even attempt to come with us if myself or her is denied.

Tha Realest

I do purchase Genie+/ILL but as “successful” as i feel i been with Genie hate to admit that. The experience would not be worth it based on what can ride/not ride along with the price of the trip factoring it all in. DAS along with Genie allows us to enjoy the trip etc
No disrespect, but the standard for DAS isn’t “does this make my trip more enjoyable than it would otherwise be,” it’s whether their accommodation is reasonable without fundamentally altering the nature of the business’s services.

Disstevefan1

So some data said 60 percent of lighting lane folks were using DAS. Fine. they shut the door on this so DAS cant be used.

These folks are not going to magically be OK with waiting so they will BUY GENIE+.

Now all these folks will be trying to get their Genie+ return times. Disney will up the number of Genie+ reservations allowed and we are back where we started, only difference Disney is now making BIGGER BUCKS.

We all must remember, this change has nothing to try to help the guest experience - ITS ABOUT MONEY!

Vclguy90

So some data said 60 percent of lighting lane folks were using DAS. Fine. they shut the door on this so DAS cant be used.

These folks are not going to magically be OK with waiting so they will BUY GENIE+.

Now all these folks will be trying to get their Genie+ return times. Disney will up the number of Genie+ reservations allowed and we are back where we started, only difference Disney is now making BIGGER BUCKS.

We all must remember, this change has nothing to try to help the guest experience - ITS ABOUT MONEY!
Yea, I see lawsuit after lawsuit if this starts to get out of hand. Disney should've left this alone.

Leaving the country is a pretty extreme example, since that's such a huge financial upheaval and has many logistics involved. But it will affect habits for some people.

For example, as Disney removed certain perks (Magical Express, EMH, etc) and increased their prices, we've gone from making Disney our big yearly family vacation to making it a once every three years trip. Will an overhaul of DAS and/or the addition of needing to buy G+ make us never go to a Disney park again? I can't say for sure, but it will continue to affect how often we go. Especially as we compare prices and disability accommodations of other vacation options.

Purduevian

No one who uses DAS and enters a standby queue is taking advantage or abusing anything. From Disney's DAS site, screenshot just now:

View attachment 778205
Someone can have difficulties waiting 45+ mins, but be ok at 15-20. Or be OK with outdoor queues (where sound dissipates more easily), and have more trouble with indoor queues..etc, etc. Disney explicitly allows this - if not encourages, since this is their FAQ.
Please do not put words in my mouth. I never said the DAS users were abusing the system by doing this. I think Disney has a broken system and this would be one step towards fixing it.

Isn’t that what Disney says DAS guests should do while they wait for their return time? I know when we have an hour+ wait, we’ll take the kids to a shorter ride, or get food, or go to the bathroom, or take a breather, or go to a store, etc. Are you suggesting that DAS users should still have to wait, but just wait somewhere else?

Yes, they should cut down on DAS abuse. But in general, doesn’t Disney want DAS guests doing other things for capacity and monetary reasons?
Again, Disney specifically says this is allowed in their FAQ for DAS, even after the changes yesterday.
Disney 100% allows and even encourages it. However, as a non-DAS user I am a little frustrated with the idea that a DAS user can get on more attractions that I can throughout the day (thus encouraging abuse, making standby lines longer, and reducing LL inventory). In my opinion people waiting for a DAS rides should be allowed to experience any aspect of the park that does not have a line (parades, shops, restaurants, any attraction that has no wait time), otherwise DAS will negativity affect non-DAS users.

Daily ride capacity is basically a fixed number. Every time someone gains an advantage, an equal disadvantage is felt by those that lost out on that advantage.

I have no problem with DAS being allowed to use G+ and ILL. The issue I have is the advantage DAS has regarding Standby/LL over a non-DAS guess which further promotes abuse. DAS return times should be a substitute for standby.

For instance If the line for 7D is 90 minutes and a non-Das user gets in line. For those ~90 minutes they are not able to enter another attraction queue via standby or LL.

A DAS user is able to get a DAS return time for 80 minutes from now. Then walk directly over to Peter Pan and redeem a LL, then pick up a small world LL and ride that, then maybe pick up a tea cups LL and ride that. Finally after 80 minutes they hop in the ILL for 7D.

The DAS user may legitimately not be able to wait in a long line, but they were able to experience 4 attractions in the same a non-DAS user experienced 1.

Also of note, I do not blame legitimate DAS users for doing this. This is a flaw in the system, not with the user.

Splash4eva

No disrespect, but the standard for DAS isn’t “does this make my trip more enjoyable than it would otherwise be,” it’s whether their accommodation is reasonable without fundamentally altering the nature of the business’s services.
I understand what DAS is & what GAC is. The trip would be impossible for my Mom and would be almost the same for myself. So if the new rules deny us. Then i would have no real option than to cancel. No way am i spending 10k all in to do something that will be basically 100% Genie determined i am a gambling man but its not worth it. I will simply go
Elsewhere. Disney is one of multiple trips we make a year. Its been a tradition to go annually if they make it where we cant so be it. Im speaking for myself. Noone else.

Daily ride capacity is basically a fixed number. Every time someone gains an advantage, an equal disadvantage is felt by those that lost out on that advantage.
I hear what you are saying but also, is it so bad that someone with a disability gets to experience more attractions during their trip? My son's brain tumor and treatment will affect the rest of his life. I know you are primarily concerned about abusers of the system, but it's very upsetting to me to hear someone complaining about his advantages at a theme park.

pdude81

I understand what DAS is & what GAC is. The trip would be impossible for my Mom and would be almost the same for myself. So if the new rules deny us. Then i would have no real option than to cancel. No way am i spending 10k all in to do something that will be basically 100% Genie determined i am a gambling man but its not worth it. I will simply go
Elsewhere. Disney is one of multiple trips we make a year. Its been a tradition to go annually if they make it where we cant so be it. Im speaking for myself. Noone else.
They give you the option to interview and set this up ahead of your trip though. So you would know beforehand whether or not both of you were able to have DAS on the trip, and could cancel at that point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom