New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

Disney has to cut down the abuse while still complying with the ADA. Autism is a protected disability and, as other posters have noted, requiring documentation is apparently prohibited by the ADA.

Mobility issues don’t necessarily preclude waiting in line so maybe they will address these in some other way, along with announcing whatever return to line system they’re planning.
But it's not like Autism is the ONLY protected disability. This makes no sense. Why would they have an issue with ANY disability?

Jrb1979

Disney has to cut down the abuse while still complying with the ADA. Autism is a protected disability and, as other posters have noted, requiring documentation is apparently prohibited by the ADA.

Mobility issues don’t necessarily preclude waiting in line so maybe they will address these in some other way, along with announcing whatever return to line system they’re planning.
I can see their answer being if you have mobility issues and waiting in long lines isn't an option we have Genie+ for you.

rct247

Here's a few other interesting thoughts and guesses based on what I've read here and have been hearing...

Live video chats take away the physical intimidation cast in the parks sometimes face. They can also be subject to recording, potential facial recognition, and are in a much more controled environment. It also sounds like the health advisors will be on hand as the resident medical/behavioral experts that also rely on so many Guest Relations cast that listen to certain buzz words that are now frequently shared across the internet in order to get it. It also reduces cast members from simply recommending guests go talk to a GR person to inquire about DAS which was just as much a problem of their own part.

Narrowing the focus seems to reset the focus on who DAS was truly intended to assist the most. While there are plenty of other disabilities that make it hard to wait in line as well, it sounds like they are going to focus more on means to accommodate like someone from the party waiting in the physical line and while the affected party wait elsewhere and they join back up. Rider switch may be more commonly used which does have similar characteristics. With DAS though, a person with autism may not do well approaching the attraction in person and not getting to ride right away, but a person with IBS shouldn't have that same challenge and therefore would be able to walk to the attraction to get a rider switch of sorts while their party waits in the line. It meets the needs, but reduces some allure or overaccomodation that not everyone needs. Booking via the app is one aspect of DAS that was God-send for some, but an awesome perk for those that didn't need it. Disney seems to be emphasizing they have robust accommodations for people with disabilities that don't need to be lumped all together us something like DAS.

The return to line stuff is also interesting because it seems to also address the other side of line jumping. Parties claiming they left the line to use the restroom while they just have a person waiting for them as they wrap up another ride. Restroom emergencies do happen, but not for a group of 6 to meet up with 2 people. Not sure if everywhere will have return passes, but I wouldn't be surprised. It also controls how people return with a process so when you see someone pushing through to meet back up they can say no no no we don't do that here. Follow this process uniformly and it allows them to track how many, how often, and in a controlled environment.

From what I'm hearing in general, since COVID, Disney has take a much stricter stance on many rules and isn't as shy to kick guests out or prevent them from returning if they are there to lie, cheat, steal, abuse, treat people poorly, or do things that are undesirable like unsafe behaviors. From fake tour guides,YouTubers harassing cast, scammers, TikTok trend daredevils, people with short fuses that physical fight, and people who frequently complain knowing Disney will give them something, those days are gone or numbered. Their tracking systems are much more advanced. These things affect their operation, their other customers' experience, or result in them losing money and they are doing more to take action. The numbers were astounding from when GAC switched to DAS, so I'm sure they're at that same point again for this reset to occur.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

There is no way the standby queue can accomodate two wheelchairs or ECVs having to pass each other to let one user leave. Those lines are no that wide. What a dumb idea.
And depending on how long the line is, which is pretty long for the popular rides, it can take quite a bit of time to get in and out of the lines. I don't think that this is going to work out like they think that it is.

Spash007

Another interesting aspect I didn’t see mentioned in here (if it was, I apologize) is that the WDW accommodations site now shows different accommodations that are available, including DAS and return to queue but also a list of quiet places in each park.

That last one seems to be aimed at folks with anxiety, ADHD or some sensory issues I’m guessing.

Trauma

I thought about this some more and I’m really peeved off.

Both my Mom and Mother in Law have no way of doing Disney parks without DAS. That means we have no way of having both Grandmas with us. It also rules out the Great Grandpa who served this country in Vietnam and due to agent orange exposure has a list of medical conditions so long it would take a week to read through them.

The whole freakin reason we bought DVC was to bring family together. Disney is basically giving a large portion of the population the middle finger.

Absolutely disgusting move by a company more concerned with $$$ then its guests.

My how the mighty have fallen.

jaklgreen

Both my Mom and Mother in Law have no way of doing Disney parks without DAS. That means we have no way of having both Grandmas with us. It also rules out the Great Grandpa who served this country in Vietnam and due to agent orange exposure has a list of medical conditions so long it would take a week to read through them.

The whole freakin reason we bought DVC was to bring family together. Disney is basically giving a large portion of the population the middle finger.

Absolutely disgusting move by a company more concerned with $$$ then its guests.

The Disney that used to be is no more, sadly. They were the standard in customer service. I get that some people will lie and cheat, but to punish those in need is not the way to deal with that. In a way, WDW is a victim of their own success. They have become way too busy, creating long lines. Couple that with ever increasing prices, and people have become cut throat just trying to feel like they are getting their money's worth.

lentesta

Premium Member

Hypothetically - and I'm just spitballing here because what do I know about anything? - What if when Ticketmaster was sued by Taylor Swift fans in 2022 for not doing enough to prevent bots from buying ADA-designated tickets, Ticketmaster went to the US Department of Justice and said "I thought we couldn't require documentation here. What are we supposed to do?"

And what if - again, hypothetically, because I am definitely not a lawyer - the DOJ said "Hey Ticketmaster, you should totally read the section marked Prevention of Fraud in Purchase of Tickets for Accessible Venues on our ADA Requirements, last updated on February 28, 2020."

And what if - imaginary conversations are fun, aren't they? - Ticketmaster said "Could we get some guidance on what you mean when you say 'venues ... may take steps to prevent the fraudulent sale and use of accessible seating?"

Now if the DOJ came back and said something like "As long as you have substantial evidence of abuse, e.g., something that shows that people who legitimately need accommodation are being negatively affected by fraud, and you can show that you're doing it in a minimally intrusive way that gets the job done, you can ask more questions as long as the end result is that the aforementioned people who legitimately need accommodation are better off." In way more expensive lawyer-speak, of course.

Hypothetically, if I was a theme park operator with a small army of lawyers, I might approach the DOJ by saying "You know, a day in a theme park is a kinda like a Taylor Swift concert. There's limited seating capacity per day, and you want to make sure the special seats go to those who actually need them. Would you agree?"

Now suppose the DOJ was like, "Hey, slow down there, owner of Lennyland. Ticket bots we know about. You have proof of this abuse?"

And I, as the stats-and-media-savvy owner said "Oh god, untold staff-hours counting people in line. Population analyses to make the Census Bureau weep with joy. Disks full of social media posts from click-chasers explaining what they said to get a free Lennyland skip-the-lennyline pass, but the next day filmed themselves sweating in a yurt doing yoga poses in the desert for three hours. Like that? Because this is like 50-60% of our special line sometimes. No cap."

In that case, the DOJ might say "That's crazy, fam. Go off." (In my imaginary conversation both the DOJ and I are very hip.)

Of course, this never happened. But, you know, these are the kinds of things one thinks about late, late at night.

Chi84

Premium Member
Hypothetically - and I'm just spitballing here because what do I know about anything? - What if when Ticketmaster was sued by Taylor Swift fans in 2022 for not doing enough to prevent bots from buying ADA-designated tickets, Ticketmaster went to the US Department of Justice and said "I thought we couldn't require documentation here. What are we supposed to do?"

And what if - again, hypothetically, because I am definitely not a lawyer - the DOJ said "Hey Ticketmaster, you should totally read the section marked Prevention of Fraud in Purchase of Tickets for Accessible Venues on our ADA Requirements, last updated on February 28, 2020."

And what if - imaginary conversations are fun, aren't they? - Ticketmaster said "Could we get some guidance on what you mean when you say 'venues ... may take steps to prevent the fraudulent sale and use of accessible seating?"

Now if the DOJ came back and said something like "As long as you have substantial evidence of abuse, e.g., something that shows that people who legitimately need accommodation are being negatively affected by fraud, and you can show that you're doing it in a minimally intrusive way that gets the job done, you can ask more questions as long as the end result is that the aforementioned people who legitimately need accommodation are better off." In way more expensive lawyer-speak, of course.

Hypothetically, if I was a theme park operator with a small army of lawyers, I might approach the DOJ by saying "You know, a day in a theme park is a kinda like a Taylor Swift concert. There's limited seating capacity per day, and you want to make sure the special seats go to those who actually need them. Would you agree?"

Now suppose the DOJ was like, "Hey, slow down there, owner of Lennyland. Ticket bots we know about. You have proof of this abuse?"

And I, as the stats-and-media-savvy owner said "Oh god, untold staff-hours counting people in line. Population analyses to make the Census Bureau weep with joy. Disks full of social media posts from click-chasers explaining what they said to get a free Lennyland skip-the-lennyline pass, but the next day filmed themselves sweating in a yurt doing yoga poses in the desert for three hours. Like that? Because this is like 50-60% of our special line sometimes. No cap."

In that case, the DOJ might say "That's crazy, fam. Go off." (In my imaginary conversation both the DOJ and I are very hip.)

Of course, this never happened. But, you know, these are the kinds of things one thinks about late, late at night.
If I were Disney, I would have taken the chance and gone the way of requiring documentation. ADA law isn’t very well-settled, and line accommodations haven’t been tested in court. The Six Flags case was just recently filed.

Disney’s business model is all about people standing in lines waiting for things. Even if almost all DAS users were qualified under the ADA, Disney would have a good case that the strain on its system adversely affected other guests to the point of being untenable.

But it looks like they want to avoid the problematic documentation route and limit the people who qualify for DAS. At this point, I think all we can do is wait to see how well the system works.

Trauma

This is not what’s happening with DAS though.

Disney is not just asking more questions but is outright excluding large groups of people.

It use to be “Ok Grandma let’s hang out under this tree with some cold water and enjoy the sights and sounds until it’s our time to ride.”

Now it’s going to be “Ok Grandma let’s get in line for as long as you can possible stand, then we are going to get out of line and rest. When you are ready we are going to get back in line again. We will repeat this process until we are on the ride or you decide to leave. “

Which of these two scenarios would you prefer if it was your elderly family member with health issues?

sedati

Maybe they think that people are just faking actually having bathroom issues as an excuse to get DAS and that it won't be really that many people wanting to leave the lines. Boy are they in for a surprise. For a 60 minute wait, I would have to leave at last 3-4 times. Not sure how that would be accomplished as a solo traveler.
Not to be snarky, but all of EPCOT Center would have been impossible for you then. Each show and ride experience was on average fifteen minutes or more. Universe of Energy was over forty.

NelleBelle

Today I learned that my Type 1 Diabetes would have qualified me for DAS.

I have been to WDW and DL probably a dozen times since my diagnosis and not once did I ever think “hey I need to skip lines for this”.

I have my insulin pump / glucose monitor in one pocket.

I have a pack of Starbursts in the other.

I am sufficiently accommodated.
That’s excellent for you! As a fellow T1 diabetic, I’m sure you understand that people have different needs even with the same diagnosis, right?

Even though I do wear a CGM, when I’m at WDW I a.so have to check my blood sugar with a glucometer because my CGM can be wildly inaccurate at times. So if I’m getting an alert that I’m low, I have to double check that, especially because I’m hypoglycemic unaware. Should I just check it while standing in line? A little tough, at least for me, to do this standing up and walking at the same time. If I’m in a really long queue, say RotR, I may be doing this several times, especially if I’m trying to correct a very high blood sugar. And where should I wash my hands and dispose of my biohazard sharps? I’ll greatly appreciate the stares while doing all this. And too high of blood sugar, should I just whip out my insulin and shoot up right there in line where little Billy might accidently bump me? Yeah, I too have an insulin pump but have to take holidays and revert back to injections because of the scar tissue build up and currently have to inject somewhere where my pants have to be down and someone helping me. Oh, and that someone helping is my mom, who is in an ECV. But that’s ok, she’ll just pull a u-turn and push her way back the way we came. And my service dog, she’LL really love this new system.

I am truly appalled with some of the diabetic comments that have been made on this thread.

bmr1591

Before being disgusted, have them do a consultation. Give the list of issues. I’m sure if the need is apparent, the assistance will be offered.

This is not what’s happening with DAS though.

Disney is not just asking more questions but is outright excluding large groups of people.

It use to be “Ok Grandma let’s hang out under this tree with some cold water and enjoy the sights and sounds until it’s our time to ride.”

Now it’s going to be “Ok Grandma let’s get in line for as long as you can possible stand, then we are going to get out of line and rest. When you are ready we are going to get back in line again. We will repeat this process until we are on the ride or you decide to leave. “

Which of these two scenarios would you prefer if it was your elderly family member with health issues?

Maybe in your case, but many (and I know people who’ve done this) will get their DAS pass, go ride multiple rides with shorter waits, come back to ride their big ride, and do it all again. They aren’t just hanging out under the tree. And quite frankly, knowing the people I’m thinking of, they don’t need it. They never even got it until cast members told them to go get it because their son is ADD and liked to touch the spinning buckets in 7DMT ‘too much’.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The return to line stuff is also interesting because it seems to also address the other side of line jumping. Parties claiming they left the line to use the restroom while they just have a person waiting for them as they wrap up another ride. Restroom emergencies do happen, but not for a group of 6 to meet up with 2 people. Not sure if everywhere will have return passes, but I wouldn't be surprised. It also controls how people return with a process so when you see someone pushing through to meet back up they can say no no no we don't do that here. Follow this process uniformly and it allows them to track how many, how often, and in a controlled environment.
If only an AI bot could monitor phone positions in ride queues and issue alerts to CMs or Managers (after reviewing that phone's position for the previous 10 minutes) when a phone (or a set of phones) starts bypassing several other phones stationary in line...

get their DAS pass, go ride multiple rides with shorter waits, come back to ride their big ride, and do it all again
Isn’t that what Disney says DAS guests should do while they wait for their return time? I know when we have an hour+ wait, we’ll take the kids to a shorter ride, or get food, or go to the bathroom, or take a breather, or go to a store, etc. Are you suggesting that DAS users should still have to wait, but just wait somewhere else?

Yes, they should cut down on DAS abuse. But in general, doesn’t Disney want DAS guests doing other things for capacity and monetary reasons?

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

Before being disgusted, have them do a consultation. Give the list of issues. I’m sure if the need is apparent, the assistance will be offered.

Maybe in your case, but many (and I know people who’ve done this) will get their DAS pass, go ride multiple rides with shorter waits, come back to ride their big ride, and do it all again. They aren’t just hanging out under the tree. And quite frankly, knowing the people I’m thinking of, they don’t need it. They never even got it until cast members told them to go get it because their son is ADD and liked to touch the spinning buckets in 7DMT ‘too much’.
Again, Disney specifically says this is allowed in their FAQ for DAS, even after the changes yesterday.

jtramut

Im confused. I have cerebral palsy im not in a wheel chiar but i have weakness on the right side of my body and cant stand for long streaches i wont be able to get it anymore or because its a brain issue it will be covered

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom