Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Disstevefan1

So basically all those who qualified with the current system will likely qualify with the new system? Or don’t we know that yet?
Probably not I am guessing. There were a lot of folks who previously qualified did not qualify for the current system too.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It absolutely does NOT

I’ll die on this hill
Today I learned that my Type 1 Diabetes would have qualified me for DAS.

I have been to WDW and DL probably a dozen times since my diagnosis and not once did I ever think “hey I need to skip lines for this”.

I have my insulin pump / glucose monitor in one pocket.

I have a pack of Starbursts in the other.

I am sufficiently accommodated.

Angel Ariel

This is true. But are you trying to tell me because some people would do better in HM than waiting a little longer elsewhere, that there aren't an equal number of developmentally disabled people who would be trigger being shoved against strangers in the dark and sometimes briefly separated from their families? There is no one hard and fast rule for any of this, but I try to use my brain when possible.
There's no need to be insulting. Good day, sir.

pdude81

Come to think of it, I'm not so sure they wouldn't do this. I recently called up to deal with some reservation issues and they proceeded to rattle off basically my entire timeline of events at the park that night as a defense for why they shouldn't refund me for certain things. It was pretty jarring to say the least.
I'm not assuming anything, but they have more technology now to track us than ever with MB+. You need it for certain games and interactions, but even just walking around the 50th statues it reaches out to let you know you're close enough to some "magic". Similar with MDE on phones, if you have the piece enabled for photo retrieval they know where you've been. Good luck checking into lunch from more than 50 meters these days.

My assumption is that this data could be used if abuse is suspected.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Today I learned that my Type 1 Diabetes would have qualified me for DAS.

I have been to WDW and DL probably a dozen times since my diagnosis and not once did I ever think “hey I need to skip lines for this”.

I have my insulin pump / glucose monitor in one pocket.

I have a pack of Starbursts in the other.

I am sufficiently accommodated.
Funny…I learned the same thing today 😉

pdude81

There's no need to be insulting. Good day, sir.
I didn't mean to be insulting; I was trying to be self-deprecating. What I meant is that I am trying to think about the conditions they are focused on in the description and what triggers are commonly associated. It seemed to me that you were calling me out for trying to think critically.

Now I do think you have spent a lot of time in this thread making sure we know that your families needs are different than others, and I would expect that they would take your specific needs into account when granting accommodations. The focus on the language seems to be trying to stop people from just walking up to the front counter and saying "my son is on the spectrum, and I don't want to talk any more about it."

nickys

Premium Member
Edit. Doing it all online too tells me they need to allow people outside the US to sign up too as currently we can’t without a VPN
From all the reports I’ve read of people trying to do it from Europe, even a vpn doesn’t work. Even if you get through, as soon as the CM hears you’re not in the US or Canada they refuse to take it any further. I did read one report where the CM said “I shouldn’t but since you got through I’ll do it anyway”.

Hopefully they’ll get something in place.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I still don’t get this.

How does this prevent abuse.

It’s looks the same as it has been for the last couple years?
It's less about preventing abuse because that is an impossible goal, but the goal is likely just to reduce the number of abusers with ban threats and barriers.

On threats to ban from parks, many abusers will not even try to register, although some will because it will be exceedingly difficult for Disney to prove lying without requesting medical records and that doesn't seem on the table now. It will be interesting if Disney plays hardball with some and bans but said "you're welcome to have X team look at your records if you like to voluntary share then." But I don't see that. Someone would have to screw up by putting into public that they lied.

On barriers, anything not in person will reduce the number of abusers because it's extra hurdles for something that used to be as easy as walking up in person. Of course some abusers will still go through the process.

And while ban threats and barriers won't stop all abusers, the reduction in group size will at least reduce the impact.

Last edited:

Purduevian

They did start previewing facial recognition a few years back, right? I'm assuming they aren't proactively looking to ban guest, but if someone says they can't wait in lines for a specific reason, but queues at HM with a 40 minute line and gets a photo while skipping a 75 minute queue at 7DMT, questions could be asked.
If we are going full minority report facial recognition to track every DAS user... the easy solution that doesn't even touch the "disability" conversation would be the following rule:
A DAS return time is an accommodation and substitute for the standby queue. As such any user, currently in possession of a DAS return time may not enter any attraction queue (standby or LL) or else their DAS return time will be cancelled.
They can also track the users through their shoes. https://www.disneydining.com/disney...-to-identify-guests-based-on-their-shoes-bb1/

nickys

Premium Member
Yep. It was small groups of up to 6 sparsely using it that accounted for TP’s wild number divergences and Disney’s aggressive (and some would say draconian) step in changing their policies here.
Eh? I’m saying whoever reports those examples have no way to know that the group were using DAS.

The other categories I gave also use the LL line.

Trauma

Yeah unfortunately you can find a Dr. to approve anything nowadays.
Yes and Disney is never going to call someone out.

Let’s take my Mom.

She does have days where she can stand in line long periods of time and be fine.

She has other days where she absolutely needs DAS.

So is Disney going to call her in and question her because she was in line for PPF for 50 minutes ?

That would be ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom