New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Disney Glimpses

They did start previewing facial recognition a few years back, right? I'm assuming they aren't proactively looking to ban guest, but if someone says they can't wait in lines for a specific reason, but queues at HM with a 40 minute line and gets a photo while skipping a 75 minute queue at 7DMT, questions could be asked.
They won't do this but I wish they would. Unfortunately, people think that simply having a disability makes one eligible.

Fido Chuckwagon

I still don’t get this.

How does this prevent abuse.

It’s looks the same as it has been for the last couple years?
I mean, even just cutting it from 6 people down to 4 is a **significant** improvement. Not every group currently has 6, so it's not going to eliminate a third of DAS users, but it should eliminate some substantial percentage right off the bat.

Figgy1

Premium Member
They won't do this but I wish they would. Unfortunately, people think that simply having a disability makes one eligible.
There's a major difference between 40 minutes in a que with distractions that work vs a 75 minute wait without distractions that work. My ds has DAS but we only use it when he needs it, he handles some ques better than others. It's hard to explain his quirks for lack of a better word.

Gomer

I still don’t get this.

Pure speculation on my part, but all these changes seem to imply to me that Disney is gearing up to start denying a lot more requests.

- Altered language as to who qualifies
- Increased staffing for pre-registration assistance
- No more approval at GR in the park (don't want to create a scene)
- 3rd party escalation point with the ability to request medical records.

My guess is that the Disney employees will be retrained to give an initial denial more frequently to what they consider to be borderline requests and then utilize the 3rd party escalation point to play the bad guy in upholding their stricter guidelines for qualification.

Comped

Unless your disability is developmental-disability related, then it looks to me like you are no longer eligible. You can instead take advantage of the "return to queue" system if you need to take breaks while in line. Seems perfectly fair to me.
Luckily I do have one that can be considered related, or is at least by the CDC and others. It's just not my primary disability by any means.

pdude81

There's a major difference between 40 minutes in a que with distractions that work vs a 75 minute wait without distractions that work. My ds has DAS but we only use it when he needs it, he handles some ques better than others. It's hard to explain his quirks for lack of a better word.
40 minute queue in the haunted mansion would trigger just as many people as a 75 minute queue for 7DMT, IMO. Expecially with the mix down after the stretching room.

Disstevefan1

I still don’t get this.

Don't worry, folks who previously qualified and have real issues will be turned away so there will be less folks using DAS and these folks will simply not ride rides at all.

As for the folks who intentionally abuse systems like this, who knows, maybe they can work around the new system too.

But to answer your question, yes, less folks will be using DAS, a lot who previously needed it, and yes, there will still be cheaters too.

Disney Glimpses

40 minute queue in the haunted mansion would trigger just as many people as a 75 minute queue for 7DMT, IMO. Expecially with the mix down after the stretching room.
Come to think of it, I'm not so sure they wouldn't do this. I recently called up to deal with some reservation issues and they proceeded to rattle off basically my entire timeline of events at the park that night as a defense for why they shouldn't refund me for certain things. It was pretty jarring to say the least.

Angel Ariel

What triggers a person in queues is really individualized, so it's not really accurate to speak for others or make assumptions as to what would trigger people and what wouldn't.

TTA94

So basically all those who qualified with the current system will likely qualify with the new system? Or don’t we know that yet?

brettf22

Premium Member
I still don’t get this.

I’m guessing there was a massive increase in the number of folks whose accommodation was immediate bathroom access. The new rules and statement about a “return to queue” system seems to support this supposition. And if true, this decision would then be low hanging fruit for removing the most DAS users.

I’m also guessing it’s an easy accommodation to abuse, since it simply requires a statement “I need immediate bathroom access.” But I agree, I’m guessing this decision will negatively impact those who legitimately need it, while the abusers will simply move on to using another reason.

As somebody who has had part of his GI system surgically removed, and who has missed many a ride with his family due to desperate dashes through the queue to the bathroom, and for whom DAS was a godsend, I’m interested in seeing how this “return to queue” is accomplished.

tissandtully

Come to think of it, I'm not so sure they wouldn't do this. I recently called up to deal with some reservation issues and they proceeded to rattle off basically my entire timeline of events at the park that night as a defense for why they shouldn't refund me for certain things. It was pretty jarring to say the least.
This sounds oddly embarrassing lol

pdude81

And that is based on what?

What triggers a person in queues is really individualized, so it's not really accurate to speak for others or make assumptions as to what would trigger people and what wouldn't.
This is true. But are you trying to tell me because some people would do better in HM than waiting a little longer elsewhere, that there aren't an equal number of developmentally disabled people who would be trigger being shoved against strangers in the dark and sometimes briefly separated from their families? There is no one hard and fast rule for any of this, but I try to use my brain when possible.

tissandtully

I’m guessing there was a massive increase in the number of folks whose accommodation was immediate bathroom access. The new rules and statement about a “return to queue” system seems to support this supposition. And if true, this decision would then be low hanging fruit for removing the most DAS users.

I’m also guessing it’s an easy accommodation to abuse, since it simply requires a statement “I need immediate bathroom access.” But I agree, I’m guessing this decision will negatively impact those who legitimately need it, while the abusers will simply move on to using another reason.

As somebody who has had part of his GI system surgically removed, and who has missed many a ride with his family due to desperate dashes through the queue to the bathroom, and for whom DAS was a godsend, I’m interested in seeing how this “return to queue” is accomplished.
Maybe put more bathrooms in queues, it took some watering of the Flight of Passage queue props to have them finally do this

Disstevefan1

So basically all those who qualified with the current system will likely qualify with the new system? Or don’t we know that yet?
Probably not I am guessing. There were a lot of folks who previously qualified did not qualify for the current system too.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It absolutely does NOT

I’ll die on this hill
Today I learned that my Type 1 Diabetes would have qualified me for DAS.

I have been to WDW and DL probably a dozen times since my diagnosis and not once did I ever think “hey I need to skip lines for this”.

I have my insulin pump / glucose monitor in one pocket.

I have a pack of Starbursts in the other.

I am sufficiently accommodated.

Angel Ariel

This is true. But are you trying to tell me because some people would do better in HM than waiting a little longer elsewhere, that there aren't an equal number of developmentally disabled people who would be trigger being shoved against strangers in the dark and sometimes briefly separated from their families? There is no one hard and fast rule for any of this, but I try to use my brain when possible.
There's no need to be insulting. Good day, sir.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom