New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Mattrg_2000

40 minute queue in the haunted mansion would trigger just as many people as a 75 minute queue for 7DMT, IMO. Expecially with the mix down after the stretching room.
This is so true! Haunted Mansion. When you’re crammed in the space after the stretching room and the ride/treadmill stops. That is so claustrophobic! ‘Deep breaths, we’ll be moving again soon.’ Freaks me out every time.

SamusAranX

If Disney has excelled at one thing over the years above all else it’s crowd and line management. I’m cautiously optimistic that this isn’t going to be the cluster**** that people think it will be.
You’re joking right?

The reason for the existence and almost necessity of purchasing genie+, and the problems they face now is exactly because of their poor crowd management (I.e. they decided to play musical chairs as attendance ballooned rather then expand the parks capacity at a commensurate rate)

Fido Chuckwagon

You’re joking right?

The reason for the existence and almost necessity of purchasing genie+, and the problems they face now is exactly because of their poor crowd management (I.e. they decided to play musical chairs as attendance ballooned rather then expand the parks capacity at a commensurate rate)
I suppose I should have qualified that they are very good at crowd control at the micro day to day level, not in the macro sense of having enough capacity. They are really good at things like controlling crowds at entrances and exits, choke points, transportation, crowd flows after parades/fireworks/ etc. Managing a “return to line” system is similar. It’s the type of thing they excel at. I have faith in them.

Splash4eva

I completely agree and have been saying it since they started it, that those 2 preselects should have never been a thing. I think that is when the abuse started in earnest. I think that they started that as a way to incentivize people to use the online chat. After all, in the beginning, people where waiting 5+ hours just to speak to someone.
I would also be just fine with them not allowing you to go on another ride while you are waiting for your DAS return time. If they got rid of those 2 very reasonable things, I think that DAS would not be so appealing to the cheaters.
I understand though why the DAS return time is open ended. Many can not make that hour window if they are having issues with their disability.
Its impossible to police by saying you cant ride something in between. What they should have done was simply eliminate the 2 rides right away when they saw a capacity issue. Next was force everyone to register online. Both those decisions would have eased some of the pain imo bare minimum you get those 2 rides back and both of these changes are not discriminating against anyone who has a disability. Then reevaluate again.

SamusAranX

I suppose I should have qualified that they are very good at crowd control at the micro day to day level, not in the macro sense of having enough capacity. They are really good at things like controlling crowds at entrances and exits, choke points, transportation, crowd flows after parades/fireworks/ etc. Managing a “return to line” system is similar. It’s the type of thing they excel at. I have faith in them.
Fair enough, although I would disagree only on the MK end of night show. I skip it almost always even if my group is new and wants to do it. They can’t handle it well anymore simply because every one wants to see it

jaklgreen

Sorry to be clear my thought was about Tron, Guardians, the ones with virtual queues, which for rhe most part in the first year of opening most guests can only ride once. But the rerides could be an added on accommodation rather than standard, determined at the interview.
Not sure if you are aware, but the rides with the virtual queue, DAS people also have to take their chances with getting a VQ. They don't automatically get to make a DAS for them. So they are in the exact same position as everyone else when it comes to those.

Fido Chuckwagon

Fair enough, although I would disagree only on the MK end of night show. I skip it almost always even if my group is new and wants to do it. They can’t handle it well anymore simply because every one wants to see it
I don’t know, I’m honestly always amazed that nobody is getting trampled or injured on a regular basis considering just how large those crowds are exiting that park all at the same time. They have tons of staff directing crowd flow all over the place including the ability to rapidly open up choke points as needed (the two backstage exits they can open). I still think it’s fairly impressive even though it may not be pleasant/ideal if you yourself are in that crowd at exit.

jaklgreen

Perhaps you should wait and see what Disney announces before you reflexively dismiss their solution as unworkable. I still don’t understand how this isn’t a better solution for you. You can’t wait in lines that are more than 20 minutes and there are a decent number of lightning lanes that are more than 20 minutes! I’m going to give Disney the benefit of the doubt that they’re not a bunch of idiots and have a plan to handle solo travelers. Given that this sounds like a much better solution for you.

1. For the past year, from April 2023 - April 2024, on a month by month basis, the monthly average posted wait time has been:
A: May: 12 minutes;
B: June: 13 minutes;
C: July: 12 minutes;
D: August: 12 minutes;
E: September: 12 minutes;
F: October: 13 minutes;
G: November: 15 minutes;
H: December: 17 minutes;
I: January: 17 minutes
J: February: 16 minutes;
K: March: 15 minutes;
L: April 14 minutes;

It is important to of course not that these are the posted wait times, not the actual wait times, as it is well known that Disney’s wait times are nearly universally inflated to some degree versus actual wait time.
I am not the typical park goer. I don't do most of the rides. And I watch the wait times and go as needed. There have been plenty of times that I had to leave the LL to use the restroom and come back. I don't think that you are comprehending the nature of my disability because you keep implying that I don't either have one or that I don't have one bad enough for DAS. And I am assuring right now, that if it were not for DAS, I would not go because I am not going to have an accident in line or cause myself harm because someone like you thinks that I am faking it. You seem to lack any shred of empathy for those with legitimate medical issues. But hey, as long as you get on the ride a couple minutes faster, that is all you care about, right?

Fido Chuckwagon

I am not the typical park goer. I don't do most of the rides. And I watch the wait times and go as needed. There have been plenty of times that I had to leave the LL to use the restroom and come back. I don't think that you are comprehending the nature of my disability because you keep implying that I don't either have one or that I don't have one bad enough for DAS. And I am assuring right now, that if it were not for DAS, I would not go because I am not going to have an accident in line or cause myself harm because someone like you thinks that I am faking it. You seem to lack any shred of empathy for those with legitimate medical issues. But hey, as long as you get on the ride a couple minutes faster, that is all you care about, right?
Your repeated personal attacks continue to be unappreciated. I have repeatedly, repeatedly, stated that I absolutely believe you have the disability you state. The new system that Disney has announced continues to seem much better for you and others similarly situated given that it will allow people to exit lines whenever they need to and then return to those lines when they are able to. You should perhaps give Disney a chance to see how this works before bashing the company.

Many people were upset when Disney shifted from GAC to DAS, but in the end that system was quite useful for those who needed it. I see no reason why this could not end up the same.

Chi84

Premium Member
I can understand why so many of you are against this. But what I would genuinely like to know is why some of you are all for this?
I don’t think enough is known about the new system to be “all for” it. Have you read through the entire thread? Posters have been pretty clear about why they understand a change needs to be made.

RamblinWreck

I think that makes sense and it doesn’t tend to be the huge ones RotR etc. But maybe that could just be like an add on and not standard to help minimize some abuse. I’m thinking of what Len said about the connection to open Tiana’s. Would limiting it to one DAS use a day alleviate some of the concern of the capacity of the newest rides, especially those requiring a virtual queue.
Anything with a virtual queue is already limited. DAS users need a slot in the virtual queue in order to ride.

Vclguy90

I don’t think enough is known about the new system to be “all for” it. Have you read through the entire thread? Posters have been pretty clear about why they understand a change needs to be made.
Yes, I have read all 72 pages. The point that I'm trying to get insight on is why do you care? How does this change benefit you if you are not a DAS user?

Fido Chuckwagon

Yes, I have read all 72 pages. The point that I'm trying to get insight on is why do you care? How does this change benefit you if you are not a DAS user?
If 50-75 percent of Lightning Lane Capacity is going to DAS users (per @lentesta above), and 80-95 percent of overall ride capacity is going to the Lightning Lane, then DAS abuse impacts everyone, quite substantially, including other DAS users. This would mean that 40 percent to 71 percent of a ride’s capacity is being taken up by DAS users. The unknown “x” factor here is how many people are DAS users, but I’m going to go ahead and guess that it’s substantially less than 40 to 71 percent of park goers, probably by an order of magnitude or so.

Vclguy90

If 50-75 percent of Lightning Lane Capacity is going to DAS users (per @lentesta above), and 80-95 percent of overall ride capacity is going to the Lightning Lane, then DAS abuse impacts everyone, quite substantially, including other DAS users.
Fair. So what will DAS abusers have to do when denied a DAS? Obviously these people clearly have an aversion to waiting in line so what are their options?

Fido Chuckwagon

Fair. So what will DAS abusers have to do when denied a DAS? Obviously these people clearly have an aversion to waiting in line so what are their options?
Well, if they have a disability that prevents them from waiting in a long line without a break it sounds like they will be accommodated by being able to exit the line when needed with a return to line pass.

Chi84

Premium Member
Some will choose to buy Genie+ or ILLs, others will choose to stand in line because they won’t or can’t pay for it, still others may choose to go on fewer rides and explore all the other things besides rides that the parks offer. Finally, some may go elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom