New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Tha Realest

ROFL

Your that gullible ?

Disney is going to wait a month to measure what type of impact this is making and then start selling more Genie and LL.

The line will be just as full as ever, except with more people paying $$$.

That’s what this is about, and nothing more.
If Disney could sell more G+, they would. As it is it’s only sold out around two dozen times over the last few years.

Tha Realest

I think most of the abuse is people knowing which lies to tell them and I don't think lying about autism is one. Multiple people I know say they get anxiety in lines or have frequent urination/bathroom issues.

Disney already said they're addressing the latter with a "bathroom pass" type thing, but it's gonna be a lot trickier to deal with someone who is diagnosed with anxiety. How do you weed through the fakers there? Do you turn everyone away?
The question is, is generalized anxiety a disorder like “autism or similar” or otherwise within their definition of developmental disorders?

Gomer

I think most of the abuse is people knowing which lies to tell them and I don't think lying about autism is one. Multiple people I know say they get anxiety in lines or have frequent urination/bathroom issues.

Disney already said they're addressing the latter with a "bathroom pass" type thing, but it's gonna be a lot trickier to deal with someone who is diagnosed with anxiety. How do you weed through the fakers there? Do you turn everyone away?
Not saying they will do this or even want to...but if they wanted to crack down they would need to run it more like a School's IEP process. You don't ask what condition you are requesting this for and then offer a one size fits all solution in DAS. You ask them what specific challenges they want to solve for and then offer a reasonable accommodation within their authority to offer for that specific problem, holding DAS for only cases where it is deemed necessary. Right now Disney is offering up one single solution in DAS and applying a universal approval or rejection for all disabilities. Under a system with an array of accommodations they wouldn't need to do that and could tailor the extent of accommodation to the specific needs of the requestor. Whether some quickly trained cast members with outsourced medical support can do that and stay within the law, I'd have my doubts. But its theoretically possible.

Trauma

If Disney could sell more G+, they would. As it is it’s only sold out around two dozen times over the last few years.
So you think they are going to do anything to lower wait times?

If they do that they sell less Genie.

Not going to happen.

They will just reduce staffing or do whatever necessary to keep standby painful.

Jrb1979

Whatever you have to tell yourself to be happy about this I guess…
What do you want them to do? Let everyone continue to use DAS even though they could probably use the other options.

If you physically can't stand in long lines there is the option of getting a scooter or a wheelchair.

Tha Realest

Not saying they will do this or even want to...but if they wanted to crack down they would need to run it more like a School's IEP process. You don't ask what condition you are requesting this for and then offer a one size fits all solution in DAS. You ask them what specific challenges they want to solve for and then offer a reasonable accommodation within their authority to offer for that specific problem, holding DAS for only cases where it is deemed necessary. Right now Disney is offering up one single solution in DAS and applying a universal approval or rejection for all disabilities. Under a system with an array of accommodations they wouldn't need to do that and could tailor the extent of accommodation to the specific needs of the requestor. Whether some quickly trained cast members with outsourced medical support can do that and stay within the law, I'd have my doubts. But its theoretically possible.
I don’t necessarily disagree, but Disney appears to be segmenting disabilities under an umbrella.

First is the developmental disabilities (autism or similar) and those have access to DAS.

Second is those with mobility issues, and to them they’re pointing to the accomodations that already exist to the physical queues.

Everyone else - miscellaneous physical disability, or the anxious - get the return to line thing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So let’s say that’s true. I have no reason to believe it isn’t.

What does this new system change?

It just changes the lie the liars are going to use.

At best you get some relief with the 4 person limit.

So maybe a 15% reduction at the expense of people with real disabilities being denied.

I believe the group limit will have a huge impact on it's own... assuming Disney doesn't go soft on it. Nearly everyone goes as a group... and with DAS there was plenty of incentive to maximize your group size. That's a straight percentage right off the top of people in the return line.

If Disney successfully 'thins the herd' of what qualifies for DAS explicitly and shifts the remainder to alternate methods that don't include using the LL/Genie line... that can be huge.

The 'just tell a new lie' isn't going to be as easy for everyone. If you are a happy hipster 30 something who only travels with your like friends.. or an older couple... you're going to have a harder time passing yourself off as developmentally disabled verse someone who maybe traveling with kids where the kids can't necessarily be expected to tell their own story. There gonna want to see/discuss the person in your group that needs the pass.. there is gonna be a huge difference in demographics that will be able to play the card of having severely developmental issues compared to the wild spread of limitations people can claim today.

Claims like 'anxeity', 'large crowds', etc are probably going to be less included... especially if they just say "anytime you feel inhibited, you can easily leave the line and come back".

Obviously there is a huge amount of "it depends on what they do" here - but there is potential for HUGE cutbacks... we just don't know how Disney is going to play it yet.

Tha Realest

Not going to happen.

They will just reduce staffing or do whatever necessary to keep standby painful.
It’s not necessarily about lowering wait times, it’s making sure the guest experience for G+ and standby users alike aren’t completely miserable.

If I had to guess, I suspect refunds of G+ purchases because families only got two rides, or growing discontentment by standby guests, prompted a lot of this.

Will this sell more G+? Who knows? But it should improve across the board guest satisfaction.

Jrb1979

I don’t necessarily disagree, but Disney appears to be segmenting disabilities under an umbrella.

First is the developmental disabilities (autism or similar) and those have access to DAS.

Second is those with mobility issues, and to them they’re pointing to the accomodations that already exist to the physical queues.

Everyone else - miscellaneous physical disability, or the anxious - get the return to line thing.
IMO that's a fair way do it. It still goes above what a lot of other parks do.

Trauma

What do you want them to do? Let everyone continue to use DAS even though they could probably use the other options.

If you physically can't stand in long lines there is the option of getting a scooter or a wheelchair.
How about instead of arbitrarily excluding some disabilities they just require documentation.

This ensures anyone who needs the service receives it, regardless of if it’s a developmental disorder.

That is something I would be very happy with.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I predict the 'line return' won't be regulated at all - Disney will just adopt new operating procedures and everyone will be able to use it.

The problem with that tho is... everyone will use it. You'll end up with every Dad waiting in line while mom and kids go out and get food, and just come back when the line is about over.

Gomer

Yes, that seems to be the starting point. And may be the entirety of the process for all I know. But my open question is how the pre-validation calls will go. What will they do with someone calling in saying they want DAS for Anxiety. How will they treat some of the people who have told their stories in this thread of why "return to queue" may not be appropriate for them. They have the ability to get more granular within that setting if they wanted to. Whether they will do that or not, I don't claim to know. Path of least resistance says they won't. But the presence of the 3rd party medical service implies they might.

The language of the email response from the disability services people posted earlier today makes me think that at least at some level, they are looking to evaluate people in a more individualized manner. The extent of that evaluation and whether it leads to a less or more restrictive approval process is still unknown. Which is why I'm reserving judgment on the changes until after we see it in action for at least a few months.

Tha Realest

How about instead of arbitrarily excluding some disabilities they just require documentation.

This ensures anyone who needs the service receives it, regardless of if it’s a developmental disorder.

That is something I would be very happy with.
Because Disney must feel that, under the law, their mobility device access into the lines coupled with the return to line scheme suffices as a reasonable accommodation (and they’re probably right)

flynnibus

Premium Member

Not going to happen.

Reducing Genie return times helps make Genie look better. There is a lot of room for that before you even reduce the actual wait on standby.

And as others have said, they haven't been limited in selling Genie yet... so having more headroom to sell more Genie doesn't actually do anything to create more sales. It's still unused capacity.

They were dealing with the situation that LL/Genie wasn't working as it should... they have to correct that before just wishing they will start selling a ton more.

Tha Realest

Yes, that seems to be the starting point. And may be the entirety of the process for all I know. But my open question is how the pre-validation calls will go. What will they do with someone calling in saying they want DAS for Anxiety. How will they treat some of the people who have told their stories in this thread of why "return to queue" may not be appropriate for them. They have the ability to get more granular within that setting if they wanted to. Whether they will do that or not, I don't claim to know. Path of least resistance says they won't. But the presence of the 3rd party medical service implies they might.

The language of the email response from the disability services people posted earlier today makes me think that at least at some level, they are looking to evaluate people in a more individualized manner. The extent of that evaluation and whether it leads to a less or more restrictive approval process is still unknown. Which is why I'm reserving judgment on the changes until after we see it in action for at least a few months.
Perhaps. We won’t know until it starts happening. It all depends on whether that sort of anxiety is the type they feel they must accommodate.

In a way, context matters too. If the justification is “I can’t handle being in crowds,” hey, that’s fine, but I am not sure what someplace like WDW can ever do to accommodate that request.

Trauma

Because Disney must feel that, under the law, their mobility device access into the lines coupled with the return to line scheme suffices as a reasonable accommodation (and they’re probably right)
Ok let me break this down real simple.

Before this change my Grandpa would be able to use the parks. ( at least for half a day )

After this change my Grandpa will not be able to use the parks.

Please explain to me how that is “accommodating”.

jaklgreen

The only one being rude here is you with the insinuations you are making about me. Touringplans data supports what I am saying about the average actual wait time for people mover. And if you really are unable to wait in that 5-15 minute line, it sounds like Disney will be able to accommodate you with a return to line pass so I really don’t understand the vitriol you are currently directing at me or Disney.
You are calling me a liar. You think that there is NEVER a time where that line is longer than 15 minutes and you are wrong. You are basically saying that I am faking my medical issues and abusing DAS. So no, YOU are the rude one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom