New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

Someone with DAS should not be able to ride more than any other person waiting standby.
And @Vegas Disney Fan didn't. Neither did we. Because the disability needs throughout the day take so much time. We have never left midday, often leave early instead as DD's disability causes serious sleep issues. But even on days we have spent a full day in the park, we didn't do more than what typical people can do because of the significant needs to be met.

Angel Ariel

We just booked a spontaneous last minute trip as DD is going to require a major surgery in a few months that will have significant recovery time. We're going to have to look at school providing homebound instruction given how long she'll be out.

I need to get tickets in hand, but I'll be trying to get on the DAS chat after school this week once she's home. Hopefully waits won't be out of control. Given her level of need, I truly hope this call will be easy, but I'm anxious seeing all the reports I have over the last few months. And now I have new diagnoses for myself which don't qualify for DAS, but make it more challenging for me to be 1-1 with her (which makes something like AQR much more difficult, as I'm her primary and preferred communication partner, especially in crowded environments).

Basil of Baker Street

And @Vegas Disney Fan didn't. Neither did we. Because the disability needs throughout the day take so much time. We have never left midday, often leave early instead as DD's disability causes serious sleep issues. But even on days we have spent a full day in the park, we didn't do more than what typical people can do because of the significant needs to be met.
Ok but that is not what he said. Or at least how I read it.

Jenny72

I'm afraid if DAS compensated for being much slower or having short days in the parks, it would be absolutely massive. We can typically only have short days in the parks and much of that has to be inside. But we would not qualify for DAS (at least, I don't think so). There are many trips where it's felt like we wasted money having park tickets that day because of how little we did.

I wish it were possible for Disney to compensate us for that issue, or to make sure we had an easier time at the parks, and in a better world, that would be possible. But it's hard to see how that would work. That's why it would be a better solution to try to make the parks easier for everyone to manage. Queues with seating, more benches, more shade...that's just a very, very basic start.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm afraid if DAS compensated for being much slower or having short days in the parks, it would be absolutely massive. We can typically only have short days in the parks and much of that has to be inside. But we would not qualify for DAS (at least, I don't think so). There are many trips where it's felt like we wasted money having park tickets that day because of how little we did.

I wish it were possible for Disney to compensate us for that issue, or to make sure we had an easier time at the parks, and in a better world, that would be possible. But it's hard to see how that would work. That's why it would be a better solution to try to make the parks easier for everyone to manage. Queues with seating, more benches, more shade...that's just a very, very basic start.
The ironic thing is we were able to use FP to manage 90% of my GFs needs, it wasn’t until they monetized it that DAS became far more necessary. The issues surrounding DAS overuse were largely a result of Disneys greed with FP.

Prior to 2020 we’d use DAS on average 1-2 times a day, combined with our 3 pre-arranged FP we managed our day and felt we got our moneys worth. After they monetized FP we found ourselves using DAS 4-5 times a day, same experience, same number of times in the LL line, but on paper a 400% increase in DAS use. Disney did this to themselves, it’s their fault they haven’t built enough rides for capacity, it’s their fault they messed up FP, and it’s their fault they’re losing our $20k a year as a result of their changes.

Worst management team anywhere.

Chi84

Premium Member
The ironic thing is we were able to use FP to manage 90% of my GFs needs, it wasn’t until they monetized it that DAS became far more necessary. The issues surrounding DAS overuse were largely a result of Disneys greed with FP.

Prior to 2020 we’d use DAS on average 1-2 times a day, combined with our 3 pre-arranged FP we managed our day and felt we got our moneys worth. After they monetized FP we found ourselves using DAS 4-5 times a day, same experience, same number of times in the LL line, but on paper a 400% increase in DAS use. Disney did this to themselves, it’s their fault they haven’t built enough rides for capacity, it’s their fault they messed up FP, and it’s their fault they’re losing our $20k a year as a result of their changes.

Worst management team anywhere.
I wish Disney had kept FP+, but I suspect the increased number of people who have recognized disabilities, along with an aging population, would have resulted in limits on DAS even absent monetization of the system.

Toward the end, FP+ was also imploding because of lack of capacity. Don’t forget that the first limitation of Disney’s disability system took place before a paid system was introduced.

DAS didn’t give us an advantage, it just made it so we could accomplish something similar in our short time to what the normal guest would get in a full day.
Then you read it wrong, I give up, I don’t know how to say “similar yet lessor” any clearer than I already have so I give up.
I think it's your use of "similar" that creates confusion and makes it sound like you were saying you could do as much in shorter time as someone else did in a full day. "Similar" means just that, similar or put in different terms: nearly the same, closely resembling, could be mistaken for each other. Similar doesn't mean "less."

I think it's a vast misconception among those with disabilities that "the average guest" is in the parks rope-drop-to-close. The people who post "we did XX rides today" are likely the over-achievers -- those who do the super long day open-to-close, who eat on the run, avoid shows/parades, small party of young heathy fit individuals who are park veterans and know the ins and outs of how to get around and make good use of their time. That is NOT the average park goer. I suspect the "average" day is somewhere around 6-7 hours and includes meal breaks, parades, shows, shopping, etc. not just rides.

Angel Ariel

I think it's your use of "similar" that creates confusion and makes it sound like you were saying you could do as much in shorter time as someone else did in a full day. "Similar" means just that, similar or put in different terms: nearly the same, closely resembling, could be mistaken for each other. Similar doesn't mean "less."

I think it's a vast misconception among those with disabilities that "the average guest" is in the parks rope-drop-to-close. The people who post "we did XX rides today" are likely the over-achievers -- those who do the super long day open-to-close, who eat on the run, avoid shows/parades, small party of young heathy fit individuals who are park veterans and know the ins and outs of how to get around and make good use of their time. That is NOT the average park goer. I suspect the "average" day is somewhere around 6-7 hours and includes meal breaks, parades, shows, shopping, etc. not just rides.
Respectfully, I also think there's a massive misconception that those with DAS are going from ride to ride to ride constantly and getting so much more out of their day than other guests are.

Vegas Disney Fan

Respectfully, I also think there's a massive misconception that those with DAS are going from ride to ride to ride constantly and getting so much more out of their day than other guests are.
I also think there’s a misconception that we’re using DAS to avoid discomfort, there’s a massive difference between being uncomfortable in a hot line and ending up at your hotel watching your GF shake and throw up for several hours because her body literally can’t handle the heat anymore.

JMcMahonEsq

There really isn’t an “average” park goer. Bob’s family of 4.5 kids from Colorado doesn’t actually exist outside of the boardroom and spreadsheets.
Of course there is a average park goer. Any large group of customers or grouping has an average participant. Its just a statistical breakdown of your consumers and how their demographics break down.

I didn't claim otherwise, did I?

But an equivalent day is not the goal of accommodations. Ability to access a given attraction is the intent of accommodations. Doing more in less time is clearly a "more than equal" situation. My family has used GAC/DAS in the past; how we tour may not be the same as how your family tours or the Smiths or the Jones. The cumulative days of each of those 4 parties may be very different regardless of disabilities or not.

Basil of Baker Street

I didn't claim otherwise, did I?

But an equivalent day is not the goal of accommodations. Ability to access a given attraction is the intent of accommodations. Doing more in less time is clearly a "more than equal" situation. My family has used GAC/DAS in the past; how we tour may not be the same as how your family tours or the Smiths or the Jones. The cumulative days of each of those 4 parties may be very different regardless of disabilities or not.
Yes exactly. DAS was designed to be able to skip the physical wait of the line when a family was unable to wait in a physical line. It should not help nor hurt ones daily goals.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes exactly. DAS was designed to be able to skip the physical wait of the line when a family was unable to wait in a physical line. It should not help nor hurt ones daily goals.

There is an important distinction in there...

Accessibility required by law you can argue 'should not help nor hurt ones daily goals'

But one must remember Disney's past was not driven by the law. Disney has had decades of systems intended to not just do the minimum, but to actually ENHANCE potential experience for these kinds of guests. Disney didn't stumble into somehow mistakenly enabling guests to do more than they could do otherwise - it was part of their customer experience strategy and choices.

So when you are talking about existing customers and how their world may change... you should consider the interaction between Disney and that customer. Not just necessarily what a company is legally obligated to do. Disney reached and did more for these kinds of guests... now they do less. That's still very true no matter what their legal obligations are.

Disstevefan1

I also think there’s a misconception that we’re using DAS to avoid discomfort, there’s a massive difference between being uncomfortable in a hot line and ending up at your hotel watching your GF shake and throw up for several hours because her body literally can’t handle the heat anymore.
Good to hear your GF qualified for DAS.

I just saw a story about a little kid with a permanent feeding tube that previously qualified in the old system and now does not.

Since they cant always time the feedings with the LL return times the poor kid sometimes vomits in the queue. Its a good thing the kids mom is skilled with the vomit bag.

I do feel sorry for the folks with real limitations who no longer qualify for the new DAS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom