New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Angel Ariel

Agreed. One of the other parks I looked at was Disneyland Paris, which has this list for its Easy Access Card:

View attachment 809771

Setting aside whether that's the correct list of conditions that should be accomodated, it's pretty clear what is and isn't accepted, right? Like, you could probably map these to ICD-10 codes so there's no question about eligibility.

The list is clear, but such a list can never be comprehensive - that's the innate issue. My child's disability has been diagnosed in less than 1000 people *worldwide*. There's over 7,000 rare genetic disorders, according to the NIH they impact 25-30 *million* Americans alone. Now sure not all of these disorders will result in needs that require DAS, others will be so impacted by their disability that they will never likely attend Disney - but there are many in the middle who can and would. When you start creating lists specific to diagnoses, people who do need the accommodations are highly likely to be left out, especially the more rare the diagnosis.

Fido Chuckwagon

So I’ve now seen this said a few times over the last few weeks, so thought it might be worth noting. People are saying they’ve called, got denied, called back again, got denied, and tried another time and not been connected to a DAS CM, but instead told they need to wait 120 days before trying to apply again…. It doesn’t seem this 120 waiting period rule for everyone, but for some people who keep calling back and haven’t even tried the other accommodations.
Good. People who are just continuously calling back after being denied without trying the other accommodations are continuing to selfishly waste Disney resources designed to help the disabled, which I suppose isn’t shocking.

nickys

Premium Member
I know there'll be people saying "Keep the government out of my disability claim", but again, the US seems to be the only country in the world where theme parks aren't allowed to ask for medical documentation. And I'm guessing this same problem exists in areas outside of theme parks.
Just wanted to pick up on this, using DLP as an example (but the same applies across the UK).

You are (almost*) never asked for medical documentation per se.

* just in case there is an exception to the norm.

What you do need to provide for DLP, depending on what your condition or disability is, is

Either
- a letter from a doctor / consultant etc stating that you have “condition # “ from a list of what are legally protected conditions

Note: the letter doesn’t mention the condition by name but only by number

Or
- documentation which confirms your eligibility for certain disability benefits in your home country. They have a specific list of acceptable documentation for the EU, the UK, US etc.

For example, someone for the UK could upload a letter for the Department for Work and Pensions confirming that they will receive one of the disability benefits for the coming year.

So no one at DLP sees a medical diagnosis. They will see a letter confirming a guest has condition # 17. But the definitions are broad. That might be a “neurological condition” which would cover several actual diagnoses. Or a “disease of the liver, kidneys or pancreas”.

Or they’ll see proof that the guest has been deemed eligible to receive a certain benefit.

Within the UK many organisations ask to see a proof of benefit.

nickys

Premium Member
The list is clear, but such a list can never be comprehensive - that's the innate issue. My child's disability has been diagnosed in less than 1000 people *worldwide*. There's over 7,000 rare genetic disorders, according to the NIH they impact 25-30 *million* Americans alone. Now sure not all of these disorders will result in needs that require DAS, others will be so impacted by their disability that they will never likely attend Disney - but there are many in the middle who can and would. When you start creating lists specific to diagnoses, people who do need the accommodations are highly likely to be left out, especially the more rare the diagnosis.
That list consists of conditions that are protected within French law.

Most of the definitions are broad, so it’s likely a doctor could find one of them which could cover a rare disability.

Could that be abused? Yeah, find a doctor who’s willing to write a letter (on headed paper with their professional designation). But again, presumably DLP is obliged to offer some kind of assistance to anyone with one of hose conditions as confirmed by a physician.

jennab55

Good. People who are just continuously calling back after being denied without trying the other accommodations are continuing to selfishly waste Disney resources designed to help the disabled, which I suppose isn’t shocking.
I agree. It is taking resources away from others. Maybe now people will not try to CM shop and call back 5 different times. I get those who may need to call back because they didn’t properly explain themselves the first time, or those at the parks who tried accommodations and are still struggling, but others who just call back trying to intimidate or shop around should be limited.

jennab55

Just wanted to pick up on this, using DLP as an example (but the same applies across the UK).

You are (almost*) never asked for medical documentation per se.

* just in case there is an exception to the norm.

What you do need to provide for DLP, depending on what your condition or disability is, is

Either
- a letter from a doctor / consultant etc stating that you have “condition # “ from a list of what are legally protected conditions

Note: the letter doesn’t mention the condition by name but only by number

Or
- documentation which confirms your eligibility for certain disability benefits in your home country. They have a specific list of acceptable documentation for the EU, the UK, US etc.

For example, someone for the UK could upload a letter for the Department for Work and Pensions confirming that they will receive one of the disability benefits for the coming year.

So no one at DLP sees a medical diagnosis. They will see a letter confirming a guest has condition # 17. But the definitions are broad. That might be a “neurological condition” which would cover several actual diagnoses. Or a “disease of the liver, kidneys or pancreas”.

Or they’ll see proof that the guest has been deemed eligible to receive a certain benefit.

Within the UK many organisations ask to see a proof of benefit.
So really let’s say anyone who receives disability benefits (deemed disabled and cannot work) could get the DAS pass equivalent in Paris? If that’s the case, this does not sound like a great idea as again, just because someone is disabled does not mean they cannot wait in a line.

Angel Ariel

That list consists of conditions that are protected within French law.

Most of the definitions are broad, so it’s likely a doctor could find one of them which could cover a rare disability.

Could that be abused? Yeah, find a doctor who’s willing to write a letter (on headed paper with their professional designation). But again, presumably DLP is obliged to offer some kind of assistance to anyone with one of hose conditions as confirmed by a physician.
I am aware it was a specific list, and I was intentional in making my comments not about that list specifically but about any list.

To speak to your comment about doctors finding something on that list that would apply - looking at that list, I do not see anything that would cover my daughter's disability. In fact, much of that list is physical disabilities that currently would not likely be covered by DAS in the states. There's no broad categories for autism, developmental delays, sensory processing disorders, intellectual disabilities...(again, this is why my comments weren't about that specific list, but any list).

jennab55

I am aware it was a specific list, and I was intentional in making my comments not about that list specifically but about any list.

To speak to your comment about doctors finding something on that list that would apply - looking at that list, I do not see anything that would cover my daughter's disability. In fact, much of that list is physical disabilities that currently would not likely be covered by DAS in the states. There's no broad categories for autism, developmental delays, sensory processing disorders, intellectual disabilities...(again, this is why my comments weren't about that specific list, but any list).
I was wondering where those fall as well and guessing “long term psychiatric disorders”.

Angel Ariel

I was wondering where those fall as well and guessing “long term psychiatric disorders”.
IMO, that's a big stretch..but I can see that. I think it's problematic in so many ways, but I can see that.

For us, my kids disorder is genetic - not psychiatric. It may share presentations similar to some things in the DsMV, but the cause is not a psych issue. I would never even think to put her under a psych label like that (and I doubt her PCP would either)

jennab55

IMO, that's a big stretch..but I can see that. I think it's problematic in so many ways, but I can see that.

For us, my kids disorder is genetic - not psychiatric. It may share presentations similar to some things in the DsMV, but the cause is not a psych issue. I would never even think to put her under a psych label like that (and I doubt her PCP would either)
Yes I was wondering as well where the developmental disabilities fell and that was the only one that seemed it would fit. I don’t necessarily like that label, but am guessing that’s where they fall….

nickys

Premium Member
So really let’s say anyone who receives disability benefits (deemed disabled and cannot work) could get the DAS pass equivalent in Paris? If that’s the case, this does not sound like a great idea as again, just because someone is disabled does not mean they cannot wait in a line.
No. There are two types of pass with different accommodations. One set get return times for rides, the others get to bypass the stand-by line. They also get different Accomodations for fireworks viewing.

But again, DLP is bound by French law.

nickys

Premium Member

Those disabilities are the ones covered by the proof of receipt of disability benefits, which you can upload in advance. There is a specific list of acceptable documentation depending where the guest is from.

The two types of passes get different accommodations in the park.

Angel Ariel

Those disabilities are the ones covered by the proof of receipt of disability benefits, which you can upload in advance. There is a specific list of acceptable documentation depending where the guest is from.

The two types of passes get different accommodations in the park.
Again, I am aware - my original comments were not about the DLP list.

My point was the difficulty in having a list - any kind of list - that covers all disabilities that may need accommodations in a theme park. I would not advocate for the ADA to be updated to name specific diagnoses that get federal protections in a similar manner to the French. I imagine many disability advocates in the states would have a lot to say about the government naming specific disabilities for such protections.

TrainsOfDisney

Our biggest issue is the wait time for the CM video chat, I am currently on hold for the third time after having to give up after 2 hours, and three hours in our first two attempts.

Its just life is making it really hard to have a spare four hours. Oh well. Maybe today
Others has said wait times were very low - is this a weekend thing?

It should definitely be reported to the company in writing and also to the ADA - 2 hours is an unreasonable amount of time to wait in my opinion.

Chi84

Premium Member
Others has said wait times were very low - is this a weekend thing?

It should definitely be reported to the company in writing and also to the ADA - 2 hours is an unreasonable amount of time to wait in my opinion.
You’re advising someone to complain to the Justice Department because they had to wait 2 hours for a phone call?

What perfect world do you live in?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom