New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

The difference is now they don’t need to do anything other than have iPads ready for the calls.
I understand your point but since the Disney Springs location never had the iPads for issuing DAS in the past, they may not stock iPads for guest use at that location now. I'm sure they could offer the link to do it with a personal device (phone or tablet) but in that case one might as well try from the privacy of the hotel room instead.

Can anyone tell me how easy and quick these interviews are to obtain please?
Guests have been connecting with WDW rather quickly -- less than 30 minutes wait, often less than 10 minutes. I do suggest that you and your friend discuss a "plan b" in case she is denied DAS. It would seem the majority of individuals who may have qualified in the past are being denied now under the new rules. Also, if she uses a VPN I think she may be able to connect from home before arriving in the US.

TrainsOfDisney

If someone is going to wait until they arrive at Disney to do it, they may as well wait hours in their hotel room rather than waiting hours at Disney Springs. Makes no sense to go to Disney Springs and do it, IMO.
If they don’t have, or don’t easily understand the technology it would be easier to do it at Guest Relations.

nickys

Premium Member
If someone is going to wait until they arrive at Disney to do it, they may as well wait hours in their hotel room rather than waiting hours at Disney Springs. Makes no sense to go to Disney Springs and do it, IMO.
Fair enough point.

But how would a guest necessarily know how to call. Since the UK website doesn’t actually give us any details, I have no idea if you use zoom, Skype etc. Does it matter?

A typical guest might just have been told by the TA “ go to Guest Services when you get there”. And often international guests have to go to Disney Springs to collect gift cards that come with the package. They may also still get charged astronomical roaming charges for the call if they do it themselves.

Much easier to go to GS and ask them to set up the call.

RememberWhen

I have a logistical DAS registration question:

DAS is good for 120 days (we have APs). You can register 30 days before your visit. Does the 120 day clock start at registration or the first visit?

Trying to sort out when to apply. Our trip isn’t until December, but if we can find out before November about whether or not DS will be approved, that would be helpful in our planning.

If the clock starts at the time of the interview we’d want to wait a bit longer so that all of December is covered. Does that make sense?

NotTheOne

Fair enough point.

But how would a guest necessarily know how to call. Since the UK website doesn’t actually give us any details, I have no idea if you use zoom, Skype etc. Does it matter?

A typical guest might just have been told by the TA “ go to Guest Services when you get there”. And often international guests have to go to Disney Springs to collect gift cards that come with the package. They may also still get charged astronomical roaming charges for the call if they do it themselves.

Much easier to go to GS and ask them to set up the call.
It's on the Disney website once you're in the US how to do it.

And I get it about the roaming charges, but again, why not just do it at GS in the parks and get through quickly instead of Disney Springs and perhaps wait hours?

Ravenclaw78

I have a logistical DAS registration question:

DAS is good for 120 days (we have APs). You can register 30 days before your visit. Does the 120 day clock start at registration or the first visit?

Trying to sort out when to apply. Our trip isn’t until December, but if we can find out before November about whether or not DS will be approved, that would be helpful in our planning.

If the clock starts at the time of the interview we’d want to wait a bit longer so that all of December is covered. Does that make sense?
You tell them the date of your next park day (must be within 30 days of your call), and they'll set it to start on that date. At least, that's how they set mine up. If they don't offer to post-date your registration, ask them to and see what happens. If you're calling more than 30 days before your trip, make a random AP park reservation for a few weeks out and then cancel it later.

RememberWhen

You tell them the date of your next park day (must be within 30 days of your call), and they'll set it to start on that date. At least, that's how they set mine up. If they don't offer to post-date your registration, ask them to and see what happens. If you're calling more than 30 days before your trip, make a random AP park reservation for a few weeks out and then cancel it later.
Thanks! That should work fine. If he doesn’t qualify it’ll give us a bit longer to decide on back up plans.

jennab55

So I’ve now seen this said a few times over the last few weeks, so thought it might be worth noting. People are saying they’ve called, got denied, called back again, got denied, and tried another time and not been connected to a DAS CM, but instead told they need to wait 120 days before trying to apply again…. It doesn’t seem this 120 waiting period rule for everyone, but for some people who keep calling back and haven’t even tried the other accommodations.

lentesta

Premium Member

It looks like @lentesta has become the media go to guy on all things related to Disney Parks 👍

Thanks! I did a few hours of prep for that, including researching the disability access policies of theme parks in other countries.

I really think a change to the ADA is needed. A company like Disney, which can show proof of abuse that harms the very people for which the ADA was created, should be able to ask to see some paperwork.

I know there'll be people saying "Keep the government out of my disability claim", but again, the US seems to be the only country in the world where theme parks aren't allowed to ask for medical documentation. And I'm guessing this same problem exists in areas outside of theme parks.

Splash4eva

Thanks! I did a few hours of prep for that, including researching the disability access policies of theme parks in other countries.

I really think a change to the ADA is needed. A company like Disney, which can show proof of abuse that harms the very people for which the ADA was created, should be able to ask to see some paperwork.

I know there'll be people saying "Keep the government out of my disability claim", but again, the US seems to be the only country in the world where theme parks aren't allowed to ask for medical documentation. And I'm guessing this same problem exists in areas outside of theme parks.
You solve this very simply by amending it stating that theme parks and even airlines to a degree are allowed to ask for proof behind closed doors…

TrainsOfDisney

I really think a change to the ADA is needed.
While I understand why the ADA doesn’t want to have “proof” of disability I agree there may be a better option that would improve things.

The problem is, it wouldn’t be simple and quick to create. You can’t just let businesses decide what’s appropriate- that’s one of the reasons the ADA exists. Q

Angel Ariel

My biggest thing with medical documentation is if it's going to be required, then whatever it is needs to be easy to access with no cost barrier.

It took a week of back and forth with my doctor to get the documentation for universal, requiring me to send screeenshots of what IBCCES was asking so she could understand what information they were asking for and how she could write it in a way that also respected DD's medical privacy. Thankfully it was all free in our situation, but there are places that charge for it (and the time required is not an insignificant barrier either).

The ADA needs to be updated for numerous reasons - and all should be about increasing accessibility for disabled people as much as possible. ADA compliance often does not actually equate to accessibility (not speaking of theme parks specifically, but generally speaking).

Mem11

If they can figure out a government document certification process that's not too intrusive and easy to use, then that would probably eliminate most of the problem.

At the very least it would eliminate those who are just trying to scam the system, as you wouldn't think they would lie their way through a government certification process to get on theme park attractions quicker. Then again spending thousands $$$$ on your dream WDW vacation can make you do strange things.

I do believe, even after providing the certified documentation, that DAS should still be need based as not all disabilities prevent you from being in long lines.

jennab55

If they can figure out a government document certification process that's not too intrusive and easy to use, then that would probably eliminate most of the problem.

At the very least it would eliminate those who are just trying to scam the system, as you wouldn't think they would lie their way through a government certification process to get on theme park attractions quicker. Then again spending thousands $$$$ on your dream WDW vacation can make you do strange things.

I do believe, even after providing the certified documentation, that DAS should still be need based as not all disabilities prevent you from being in long lines.
Yes! This is my worry about just giving DAS to anyone who can provide disability documentation. Just because someone has a disability, does not mean they cannot wait in a line. One reason I don’t think documentation would be the best way to go. Not all disabled people need DAS.

lentesta

Premium Member

Agreed. One of the other parks I looked at was Disneyland Paris, which has this list for its Easy Access Card:

Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 8.56.43 AM.png

Setting aside whether that's the correct list of conditions that should be accomodated, it's pretty clear what is and isn't accepted, right? Like, you could probably map these to ICD-10 codes so there's no question about eligibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom