New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

RSoxNo1

many attractions at Disneyland can’t accommodate guests in wheelchairs, or even some other mobility issues in the standard queues - so they have to be given a return time so they can be accommodated.

I’m not sure if that is technically part of the DAS system or not.
I don't believe it is. I believe it's an alternate accommodation that is dictated by front line cast members.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't believe it is. I believe it's an alternate accommodation that is dictated by front line cast members.
In this case it can’t be dictated by CM’s - anyone in a wheelchair, ECV, etc. who can’t be accommodated in the standard, non-ADA compliant queue would be given a return time.

This would of course only apply to certain attractions - the fantasyland attractions being an example.

Has Disney World been employing Return to Queue or Location Return Time in the same way that Disneyland is? It was posted on here a while ago that at some attractions, guests would express their needs to a CM at the entrance and then receive a time later to return, very similar to DAS. I know that's taking place in Disneyland at attractions where the queues are a bit narrower. To my knowledge it's not taking place at DCA.
Not to my knowledge. I think that's a combination of social media expectation and mis-informed video CMs. The expectation is to ask at the attraction how you can be accommodated. Not to simply ask for -- or expect -- a return time. Most often the CM will expect your party to enter the queue and try to wait; then if someone needs to leave the queue they'll inform you how to re-join your party. Depending on party size and make-up it may be handled differently, but most are expected to try the queue.

Both WDW and DL utilize what I guess is officially deemed Location Return Times, or a.k.a. wheelchair return times, for attractions that are not accessible to mobility devices. DAS is not required for this. And it's not at all new.

RSoxNo1

Not to my knowledge. I think that's a combination of social media expectation and mis-informed video CMs. The expectation is to ask at the attraction how you can be accommodated. Not to simply ask for -- or expect -- a return time. Most often the CM will expect your party to enter the queue and try to wait; then if someone needs to leave the queue they'll inform you how to re-join your party. Depending on party size and make-up it may be handled differently, but most are expected to try the queue.

Both WDW and DL utilize what I guess is officially deemed Location Return Times, or a.k.a. wheelchair return times, for attractions that are not accessible to mobility devices. DAS is not required for this. And it's not at all new.
A buddy is a double amputee below the knee and uses an ECV. I believe in the past he had gone through the exit at Thunder (WDW) as an example. I assume that type of accommodation is what you're referring to?

Herah

A buddy is a double amputee below the knee and uses an ECV. I believe in the past he had gone through the exit at Thunder (WDW) as an example. I assume that type of accommodation is what you're referring to?
That's exactly what I'm looking for, as well. DH has heard that the rules are now stricter, and wants me to try to apply for something, but all he needs is an alternate entry when the ECV can't go through the queue. So you still don't have to arrange anything ahead of time for that type of accommodation?

NotTheOne

many attractions at Disneyland can’t accommodate guests in wheelchairs, or even some other mobility issues in the standard queues - so they have to be given a return time so they can be accommodated.

No, it is not - it's totally separate from DAS.

NotTheOne

That's exactly what I'm looking for, as well. DH has heard that the rules are now stricter, and wants me to try to apply for something, but all he needs is an alternate entry when the ECV can't go through the queue. So you still don't have to arrange anything ahead of time for that type of accommodation?
Correct, you don't have to do anything in advance in order to utilize an alternate entrance for mobility devices that won't fit in the queue.

Angel Ariel

Location return times for mobility accessibility reasons (Disneyland Park requires this the most, IME) are not connected to the DAS system.

RSoxNo1

I don't believe so, but Disney won't even talk to you without a ticket now. There needs to be better attraction by attraction information.

Angel Ariel

I do agree they can do better on providing attraction by attraction info (other amusement parks do this), but yes for alternate access due to ECV use, you don't need to do anything ahead of time. They do have park guides for disabled visitors in the park that indicate alternate entrances. I've found them with the other maps by the entrance, but if not there then should be able to ask at guest relations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom