New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

How are they doing it now?
For one, taking small steps to make it less attractive - no more pre-selects, limited party size, and the 10 minute wait. Lots more they could (and IMO, should) do, but at least it's a start.

More intense questioning and not just going with "I have XYZ and need a DAS", plus medical professionals who can help weed out people who won't know how to answer some of the questions they're asking.

Your turn now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How do you actively weed out liars? And please don't say documentation, because documentation a) can be falsified and b) documents a disability, not the needs.
? Most doctor's notes in these regards would cover what a person should be limited from doing and/or their limitations.

Your note to your employer about your back doesn't just say "spinal stenosis" it says "should not lift more than 50lbs" "should not sit stationary for longer than 60mins" etc.

TrainsOfDisney

For one, taking small steps to make it less attractive - no more pre-selects, limited party size, and the 10 minute wait. Lots more they could (and IMO, should) do, but at least it's a start.

More intense questioning and not just going with "I have XYZ and need a DAS", plus medical professionals who can help weed out people who won't know how to answer some of the questions they're asking.

Your turn now.
So do all that, just don’t be so restrictive on which disabilities don’t qualify.

That’s what is being suggested. Be more strict than in the past, but don’t say no to people with legit disabilities - it’s a bad look.

NotTheOne

? Most doctor's notes in these regards would cover what a person should be limited from doing and/or their limitations.

Your note to your employer about your back doesn't just say "spinal stenosis" it says "should not lift more than 50lbs" "should not sit stationary for longer than 60mins" etc.
Totally different part of the ADA though. If you look at what IBCCES is accepting, it's a joke in many cases.

NotTheOne

How is that any different than what Disney has been doing now… going to a 3rd party in theory would reduce the amount of people using the system…
If Disney can do it now without a third party why go through a third party? And I doubt it would reduce the number of people asking for DAS by very much, since I'm betting that there were far more people with disabilities who really didn't need a DAS than there were actual liars and cheaters who had nothing wrong with them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
going to a 3rd party in theory would reduce the amount of people using the system…

And acknowledging that alone is a problem as it directly flies in the face of the ADA requirements on systems intended to discourage use or discriminate.

It's one thing to say "will screen out fakers" - the problem is if it also tends to discriminate or discourage the legit users. This is also why the Six Flags system is being challenged... under that pretense as well.

Chi84

Premium Member
How is that any different than what Disney has been doing now… going to a 3rd party in theory would reduce the amount of people using the system…
I think they want to give DAS only to people who have disabilities that by their very nature make it difficult to stand in a physical line and even then only extend it if there is no other way to accommodate them.

NotTheOne

Different part of the ADA (employment) - but not different discussion/documentation from your doctor.
Again, looking at what IBCCES accepts as documentation doesn't lend any degree of confidence (to me, at least) that this would be a solution. They'll accept a parking a placard...the front page of an IEP...a VA letter showing disability.

None of which provides any info on actual accommodation needs.

NotTheOne

I think they want to give DAS only to people who have disabilities that by their very nature make it difficult to stand in a physical line and even then only extend it if there is no other way to accommodate them.
Exactly. It really seems that they're focusing DAS on guests for whom waiting in the actual line causes disability-related problems, not people who might have disability related problems while they happen to be in the line. A subtle yet valid distinction.

Splash4eva

If Disney can do it now without a third party why go through a third party? And I doubt it would reduce the number of people asking for DAS by very much, since I'm betting that there were far more people with disabilities who really didn't need a DAS than there were actual liars and cheaters who had nothing wrong with them.
Wouldnt those people no longer get approved tho?

NotTheOne

They don't decide or dictate accomodation needs. Their role is to validate the presence of a disability and limitation... It's on the park operations to map that to a specific accommodation.
Yes, I understand that, I was simply using the example of why providing documentation doesn't really do anything to reduce the number of people applying for DAS, nor does much of the documentation outline what actual accommodations are needed.

Splash4eva

They want to sell more Genie+ or whatever the new name is & hoping the majority of people who no longer have DAS will now buy it

Chi84

Premium Member
Exactly. It really seems that they're focusing DAS on guests for whom waiting in the actual line causes disability-related problems, not people who might have disability related problems while they happen to be in the line. A subtle yet valid distinction.
I think Disney wants to offer a paid system to both disabled and non disabled people. They will accommodate those with disabilities in standby lines but extend DAS only to those for whom that absolutely won’t work.

NotTheOne

They want to sell more Genie+ or whatever the new name is & hoping the majority of people who no longer have DAS will now buy it
Possibly - it might also be that the they want the people who pay for Genie+ and/or the new system to get some value for what they're actually paying for, as well as make the line accessible for remaining DAS users, some of whom couldn't even wait in the bloated LLs prior to the changes.

Club Cooloholic

I think Disney wants to offer a paid system to both disabled and non disabled people. They will accommodate those with disabilities in standby lines but extend DAS only to those for whom that absolutely won’t work.
Where have I heard this before ;) . I think we have all started to skip the record a bit and are repeating ourselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom