New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

NotTheOne

The difference is that the average park goer is not going to have to leave almost every single line like those with disabilities will likely have to do. Imagine if every single ride that you go on, you wait 20+minutes and then your issue flairs up and you have lost all of that time for EVERY RIDE. So no, that is not everyone being treated the same because everyone does not have medical needs that keeps them from being able to wait in the longer lines.
I've seen a few cases where solo guests were granted DAS, but couldn't add anyone to them, i.e., AQR wouldn't work well for them since they're alone, so they a DAS just for them. If someone comes with them, then they can't add them to the DAS, but will use AQR instead. This might be such a case.

Splash4eva

I've seen a few cases where solo guests were granted DAS, but couldn't add anyone to them, i.e., AQR wouldn't work well for them since they're alone, so they a DAS just for them. If someone comes with them, then they can't add them to the DAS, but will use AQR instead. This might be such a case.
I was wondering the same thing if i traveled with my daughter would they grant it or not…

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Rejected by a Disney CM who has no medical experience, yes approved for IBCCES (and renewed) who is run by medical doctors and requires evidence for approval.

Absolutely ridiculous. Disney deserves as much bad press as possible over this.

IMG_6312.jpeg

Splash4eva

Rejected by a Disney CM who has no medical experience, yes approved for IBCCES (and renewed) who is run by medical doctors and requires evidence for approval.

Absolutely ridiculous. Disney deserves as much bad press as possible over this.

View attachment 794343
This is why anyone with a legit concern would love showing proof or go through a 3rd party system.

ConfettiCupcake

This is why anyone with a legit concern would love showing proof or go through a 3rd party system.

Disney isn’t saying people who are denied are not disabled though. They are fully recognizing their needs are legitimate, but they are not accommodating them with DAS. How is proof going to change that certain needs no longer qualify for DAS?

Dranth

IBCCES (and renewed) who is run by medical doctors and requires evidence for approval.
From my understanding, that is a generous description of the group.

Also, just to avoid confusion for those that don't know, that does not get you anything at Uni. other than through to the next step where a Uni employee will call and do basically the same thing Disney is doing now, ask WHY you can't wait in lines. At that point they may or may not provide some kind of accommodation.

The only difference is Uni requires "proof" through what is ostensibly a marketing agency before they will even talk to you about your needs.

mkt

Premium Member

Also, just to avoid confusion for those that don't know, that does not get you anything at Uni. other than through to the next step where a Uni employee will call and do basically the same thing Disney is doing now, ask WHY you can't wait in lines. At that point they may or may not provide some kind of accommodation.

The only difference is Uni requires "proof" through what is ostensibly a marketing agency before they will even talk to you about your needs.
This is my renewal, and Uni has given me their equivalent of a DAS every time.

mkt

Premium Member

It's generous - but at least as per linkedin, more than 10% of their staff are actual medical professionals. As opposed to Disney, where CMs who aren't medical professionals make determinations, and the "medical professionals" you can speak with will hang up a call if you ask for their NPI number of details about their credentials (both highly unethical)

Splash4eva

Disney isn’t saying people who are denied are not disabled though. They are fully recognizing their needs are legitimate, but they are not accommodating them with DAS. How is proof going to change that certain needs no longer qualify for DAS?
Explain to me how a 3rd party is approving someone for theme parks and disney is not… come on.

mkt

Premium Member
You know NPI numbers are public record right? If you have their full name you can easily look it up.
Yep.

They also drop the call when you ask about their credentials or their background. I've never encountered this before when dealing with actual medical professionals - they'll happily tell me where they went to school, their internship, their residency, etc.

Dranth

This is my renewal, and Uni has given me their equivalent of a DAS every time.
Got it.

It's generous - but at least as per linkedin, more than 10% of their staff are actual medical professionals. As opposed to Disney, where CMs who aren't medical professionals make determinations, and the "medical professionals" you can speak with will hang up a call if you ask for their NPI number of details about their credentials (both highly unethical)
Sure, but as I understand it, it is still a Universal employee, not a medical professional, that will determine what accommodations, if any, someone gets. I have seen plenty of posts from people who got the IAC card only to be upset once they didn't get the top level Uni accommodations.

I'm not saying either system is great, just that I don't see how they are that different from each other. In both cases, someone likely underpaid and unqualified is making a final determination on what kind of accommodations another person needs.

Also, isn't there already a class action lawsuit about people having to use IBCCES to qualify for accommodations?

mkt

Premium Member
Got it.

Sure, but as I understand it, it is still a Universal employee, not a medical professional, that will determine what accommodations, if any, someone gets. I have seen plenty of posts from people who got the IAC card only to be upset once they didn't get the top level Uni accommodations.

I'm not saying either system is great, just that I don't see how they are that different from each other. In both cases, someone likely underpaid and unqualified is making a final determination on what kind of accommodations another person needs.

Also, isn't there already a class action lawsuit about people having to use IBCCES to qualify for accommodations?
The lawsuit is against Six Flags, and their application of the IBCCES credential.

Dranth

The lawsuit is against Six Flags, and their application of the IBCCES credential.

Wouldn't that all but kill IBCCES use for amusement/theme parks if they win?

From the article:
"'Because disabled persons must gather the necessary medical documentation and submit it with their application on the IBCCES website prior to their park visit, persons with disabilities do not have that same luxury afforded to nondisabled persons,' the suit states. 'Defendants have therefore failed to implement policies, procedures, and practices respecting the civil rights and needs of disabled individuals.'

The lawsuit indicates that the ADA bars entities from asking about the nature or extent of a person’s disability or requiring documentation."

I read that as the plaintiff(s) want the requirement to register removed and further, Six Flags has no right to require anyone to disclose their disability

mkt

Premium Member
Wouldn't that all but kill IBCCES use for amusement/theme parks if they win?

From the article:
"'Because disabled persons must gather the necessary medical documentation and submit it with their application on the IBCCES website prior to their park visit, persons with disabilities do not have that same luxury afforded to nondisabled persons,' the suit states. 'Defendants have therefore failed to implement policies, procedures, and practices respecting the civil rights and needs of disabled individuals.'

The lawsuit indicates that the ADA bars entities from asking about the nature or extent of a person’s disability or requiring documentation."

I read that as the plaintiff(s) want the requirement to register removed and further, Six Flags has no right to require anyone to disclose their disability
Only in that district.

TrojanUSC

Explain to me how a 3rd party is approving someone for theme parks and disney is not… come on.

What are you asking? DAS is one of many accommodations that Disney provides. Universal requires this hurdle before they will even talk to you and they still may not even offer you their DAS equivalent. It's based on the needs of the guest.

According to IBCCES:
"The IAC is for anyone who is requesting accommodations – including but not limited to individuals who are autistic, use a wheelchair, are blind/low vision, deaf/hard of hearing, have mobility support needs, are accompanied by a service animal, have sensory sensitivities, cognitive disabilities, or have other needs and concerns."

You could get the IBCCES certified for a variety of reasons (mobility, vision, service animal, etc) but even under the previous DAS requirements, you still wouldn't be qualified.

jaklgreen

I would add that we are all well aware of the number of guest-poistive accommodations and amenities that Disney has changed or removed recently (like Magical Express and direct-to-room luggage service). The resort experience is changing and the changes to DAS qualification is now in the spotlight.

Just because Disney is changing the rules around DAS qualification while broadening the rules around other accommodations, the fact that we are discussing these changes (in-depth) does not make people heartless.
Discussing the changes is one thing. Saying that those with Disabilities "expect too much" or "should be fine with what they are given", is not OK. No one can say that everyone will be just fine with the changes because we know that is not possible. And yes, there have been plenty of comments on here that have been very insensitive.

jaklgreen

I mean, you could just buy G+. You said you're a solo traveler? We're talking 30 bucks to ensure you have worry free day.
Genie+ only lets you use it once for each ride. Many of these rides are not doable for me because they still have a long wait time with the LL. There are a few rides that I go on and I ride them more than once. Genie+ is not a replacement for DAS because it does not allow those with disabilities to tour like anyone else can.

C33Mom

It’s been reported elsewhere that IBCCES is basically a marketing group that accepts everything from a handicapped parking placard to a single page of an IEP (both items totally unrelated to waiting in line capabilities)— if Disney moved to this m it could further exacerbate abuse of the DAS system even worse than before the change. The IBCCES process is an extra layer for struggling families who need help and ripe for abuse by individuals willing to blow $$$ on pill mill grade doctors and the types of folks who peddled fake vaccine cards.

jaklgreen

That's a very precise condition, one that flares in every 20 minute standby ride but not an issue with 20 minute LL and ride combo...
No, I have an issue that has me needing to use the restroom often. So with the time that I wait in line and then go on the ride, I have just enough time to make it back to the restroom. That is why I said that I can't do the rides that have longer waits even in the LL. Then I also have times where it is much, much worse and I pretty much walk from one bathroom to another. Be grateful you don't have medical issues like mine because it completely runs your life.
I drive to the grocery store and the first thing that I do is have to use the facilities. And then again mid shopping. I would give anything to not have this.
And your comment is a good example of what I was saying earlier about people being insensitive. Literally some days I just want to die because my life revolves around my medical issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom