New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Kingoglow

[snip]
I have said this before, but Disney made themselves to be a place where those with disabilities could have a somewhat normal day. For many, Disney is the only amusement park where people can go because they are so good about accommodation. Can we try not to be so heartless.

I would add that we are all well aware of the number of guest-poistive accommodations and amenities that Disney has changed or removed recently (like Magical Express and direct-to-room luggage service). The resort experience is changing and the changes to DAS qualification is now in the spotlight.

Just because Disney is changing the rules around DAS qualification while broadening the rules around other accommodations, the fact that we are discussing these changes (in-depth) does not make people heartless.

Disstevefan1

I am optimistic about the wait times in WDW

Attendance in WDW will most likely plummet due to EPIC and wait times for both DAS and non DAS folks will be low.

My theory falls apart if WDW drastically cuts staff as a result of EPIC.

Club Cooloholic

Disneys solution, at least according to a lot of the posters on the forum, is to offer the box/ramp as a paid upgrade (Genie/ILL), if the disabled kid wants to see the game, he already paid to see, he just has to pay extra for the ramp. Problem solved.
Or, some folks think the guy on the left should just wave to the other two as they head to a seat right next to the team bench.

Kenneth Davies

Attendance in WDW will most likely plummet due to EPIC and wait times for both DAS and non DAS folks will be low.

A good load of people that would have visited Florida in the last 2 years or so have held off their plans waiting for EPIC to open. Expect everywhere in Florida to be overrun once it's does. Florida is a once or twice in a lifetime trip for the majority. And like most, plans include both Universal and Disney visits. The minor lulls in attendance you are seeing now is most likely a direct result of that. I would put good money on attendance records being broken for all Florida theme parks once EPIC opens.

Disney has been trying to implement a plan to allow on site guests to pre-book a set number of lightning lanes 60 days in advance of their trip, With the majority of their LL capacity being held for DAS users, It makes it almost impossible. I would think you will see more restrictions being introduced to the DAS system going forward, which, after reading through all these posts, Can only be a positive.

This is a system that needs to be there for people that actually need it, not that feel entitled to it through self diagnosis or google doctor.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disneys solution, at least according to a lot of the posters on the forum, is to offer the box/ramp as a paid upgrade (Genie/ILL), if the disabled kid wants to see the game, he already paid to see, he just has to pay extra for the ramp. Problem solved.
I don't think that's true at all. Disney is providing the box in the form of in-line accommodations. If they want more than that or an even better experience, there is the paid system.

It's similar to what Disney is giving its regular guests now. They have the opportunity to use the standby lanes, but if they don't want to use their time that way, there is the paid system.

Splash4eva

You would almost have to see that happen altho i do see Disney getting plenty of sloppy seconds spending top dollar for a short stay in the parks while enjoying Uni

Splash4eva

It will be interesting to see if folks end up adding a day or two of Disney to their UOR/IOA/EPIC vacations.
I think they almost certainly will. Uni still is not a “full vacation” altho adding this 3rd park it will as you said be interesting and a family coming to Orlando would look to possible check out Disney as well.

Splash4eva

UOR/IOA/EPIC and their water park is absolutely a full vacation.
I think depending on a childs age is a big determining factor in whether it is or isnt…granted to can probably say the same about Disney. I think DIsney is planning in “losing” the next 2 years to Uni once Epic opens hope for best with whatever carry over they get and then have their expansions ready after that to draw the crowds in again

Disstevefan1

I think depending on a childs age is a big determining factor in whether it is or isnt…granted to can probably say the same about Disney. I think DIsney is planning in “losing” the next 2 years to Uni once Epic opens hope for best with whatever carry over they get and then have their expansions ready after that to draw the crowds in again
I agree, families with little kids will still go to Disney.

Wendy Pleakley

I feel that we've always heard that Universal was going to take away Disney's business, especially when Islands of Adventure opened and was so well done.

I'm not convinced Epic will more than what Universal already does - convince Disney visitors to add Universal days.

It's also not super relevant to the DAS discussion as Universal is not the same draw for the younger kids with disability who respond so much to Disney.

nickys

Premium Member
You medical condition realities definitely does not describe the typical park goer. However, the accommodation provided to any non-DAS user is to return to the back of the queue in the case(s) where the entire party has to leave the line.
It isn’t at all rides and for all guests.

Some will get a return time and will then go through the LL line.

Touchdown

Realitively slow Monday, Mondays have been quieter but not this quiet. I’m interested in what wait times are like this week, and if we see major changes with most local APs losing DAS
IMG_5580.jpeg

Disstevefan1

I mentioned in another forum, anyone watching the video on the upcoming Universal Epic land they released...will be floored.
I am viewing this as an adult. Everything looks.... well... EPIC!! Even the how to train your dragon land.

Now that I think of it, the kids will love the Mario and the how to train your dragon lands at the very least, and the older kids and young adults will love the coasters and the monsters land!

This is going to be great!

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Realitively slow Monday, Mondays have been quieter but not this quiet. I’m interested in what wait times are like this week, and if we see major changes with most local APs losing DAS
View attachment 794227
I really hate to look at these wait times and call it a slow Monday!

It’s truly sad that WDW guests have been conditioned to see these times as a “slow” day and realize they must purchase G+ and ILL even on “slow” days like this.

Well EPIC will fix that for sure!

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
The difference is that the average park goer is not going to have to leave almost every single line like those with disabilities will likely have to do.
Such a broad statement. It implies ‘those with disabilities will likely have to leave almost every single line’. There’s really no other way to interpret. It plainly says that word for word, just split the order.

Is there any difference between saying:
like those with disabilities will likely have to leave almost every single line
leave almost every single line like those with disabilities will likely have to

Here’s the rest of the post which I don’t think does much to change the context where that statement is concerned:
Imagine if every single ride that you go on, you wait 20+minutes and then your issue flairs up and you have lost all of that time for EVERY RIDE. So no, that is not everyone being treated the same because everyone does not have medical needs that keeps them from being able to wait in the longer lines.

This DAS conversation keeps going in circles due to all the ambiguities which is why earlier I pointed out:
Some of the expectations posted here are extreme and I’m not sure which are meant legally, as business goodwill, or to take feasibility into account.

I must apologize for picking out your post. It made a great example of what I was trying to say. If any further progress is going to be made in this thread we all need to be a bit more precise in the points we’re trying to make.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom