New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

MickeyLuv'r

Disney has to accommodate, but with the exception of DAS, they don't appear to want to lock themselves into accommodating the exact same way for every instance...and they're under no obligation to do so.
As I said, I am thinking they are testing to see what works. It is all AQR, so to speak.

Generally speaking, things like this need to be communicated clearly. Just as things like public health need to be clearly communicated. Public polices should not be wishy washy, or else people get very frustrated.

MickeyLuv'r

Maybe single rider is listed as a way to get into a shorter line.

I have a feeling you’re trying to make a point, but I’m not sure what it is. Maybe because of so many small kids, Disney has never had the kind of signs they have at other parks saying that if you leave the queue for any reason, you must re-enter at the end.

I don’t think Disney is touting return to line or attraction queue return as a new way to access lines or plan your day - like VQ’s or Genie. It seems they’re just willing to accommodate people who need to leave the line, which often happens with young kids or the elderly in addition to those with disabilities.
I would agree, except Disney has made a shift in policy. They are trying to steer parkgoers away from requesting DAS. As has been said many times in this thread, they are trying to accommodate people in a different way than they did before.

I am coming at this from the perspective of a non-DAS user. Just in the last few days a friend asked me about WDW, and if I had any news to share. She has young children. So from her perspective, she said she wasn't sure her children could handle the waits, due to them being recently potty trained and a bit unpredictable. I don't think she's someone who would even think to ask about DAS, but she would appreciate being able to avoid an accident/not having to carry a change of clothes for her daughter. AQR might actually sway her to consider taking a trip to WDW while her children are young.

Chi84

Premium Member
I would agree, except Disney has made a shift in policy. They are trying to steer parkgoers away from requesting DAS. As has been said many times in this thread, they are trying to accommodate people in a different way than they did before.

I am coming at this from the perspective of a non-DAS user. Just in the last few days a friend asked me about WDW, and if I had any news to share. She has young children. So from her perspective, she said she wasn't sure her children could handle the waits, due to them being recently potty trained and a bit unpredictable. I don't think she's someone who would even think to ask about DAS, but she would appreciate being able to avoid an accident/not having to carry a change of clothes for her daughter. AQR might actually sway her to consider taking a trip to WDW while her children are young.
I recall my son-in-law running out of the Toy Story Mania line with my 3-year-old grandson under his arm like a football lol.

TrainsOfDisney

an honest question to those seeking DAS and other accessibility - are you being met with CM’s genuinely trying to help you, or are you being met with attitude?

I’ve seen some reports online, but I’m hoping they aren’t true.

C33Mom

The uncertainty is somewhat temporary. As of now no one knows if they will qualify. But a year from now many people (especially locals and AP holders) will have found out if they qualify a few times and have some certainty (nothing is guaranteed obviously) whether they will continue to qualify. At that point a person may say "why call ahead of time and wait hours when I can do it in the park and wait 5 minutes?"
I don’t think you should assume the uncertainty is temporary—that has set so many DASholders up for disappointment with the current overhaul. If the current changes do not allow sufficient operational improvements (as more and more people learn what to say to get DAS and/or how to “hack” the AQR system), Disney can change one or both programs again. I expect they will probably end up doing so by the end of next year.

Splash4eva

an honest question to those seeking DAS and other accessibility - are you being met with CM’s genuinely trying to help you, or are you being met with attitude?

I’ve seen some reports online, but I’m hoping they aren’t true.
On the trip i just came back from i witnessed 2 groups looking for a return time a very small sample size and from what i was able to tell on both instances CM’s seemed not to thrilled and very “short” when having to deal with it.

Splash4eva

I don’t think you should assume the uncertainty is temporary—that has set so many DASholders up for disappointment with the current overhaul. If the current changes do not allow sufficient operational improvements (as more and more people learn what to say to get DAS and/or how to “hack” the AQR system), Disney can change one or both programs again. I expect they will probably end up doing so by the end of next year.
If that is the case what is the point? It only comes back to the original comments i made and others. Cheaters gonna cheat and liars are gonna lie… if they want to truly fix this. Go to a 3rd party and call it a day

Jrb1979

If that is the case what is the point? It only comes back to the original comments i made and others. Cheaters gonna cheat and liars are gonna lie… if they want to truly fix this. Go to a 3rd party and call it a day
IMO with each day that goes by I don't think the changes had anything to do with that. The changes were more to get as many people out of LL queues as possible

Jrb1979

CM's manning attractions should not have to make DAS calls--it should all be done ahead of time by. guest services. Issue a pass stating what accommodations guest is entitled too
They aren't making DAS calls at the attractions. If you are denied DAS, most will use the ACR option. You will have to enter standby and if you have to leave the queue they will then put you through the LL queue to meet you party.

bwr827

They aren't making DAS calls at the attractions. If you are denied DAS, most will use the ACR option. You will have to enter standby and if you have to leave the queue they will then put you through the LL queue to meet you party.
Semantics (see next paragraph). It’s clear they (and other similar posts) are talking about the apparent responsibility cast members at rides have to determine/offer appropriate accommodation to guests in the moment.

We can all agree that the name DAS is now confusing, given that it is not an umbrella for the full range of accommodations available to those who may need them.

ConfettiCupcake

Semantics (see next paragraph). It’s clear they (and other similar posts) are talking about the apparent responsibility cast members at rides have to determine/offer appropriate accommodation to guests in the moment.

We can all agree that the name DAS is now confusing, given that it is not an umbrella for the full range of accommodations available to those who may need them.

It appears that the CM calls are based upon factors like the attraction party size, the point in line which the exit happens, if the exit happens at all (are people trying to get accommodations to wait elsewhere at the attraction), crowd levels, and other factors that aren’t related to the actual need or disability.

Not sure how you could offload those things from attraction CMs. You won’t know in advance if all the capable adults in party are riding, where in the queue the exit happens, if it’s easier just to allow an immediate entry into LL upon exit, etc beforehand.

Joel

I'm far less worried about people's ability to cheat now than I used to be, especially considering how many people in various online Disney communities -- who are significantly more informed than the average guest -- still think DAS is diagnosis-based.

All the "Everyone will just say they have autism now. Checkmate, Disney!" comments when this change was first announced turned out to not be nearly as clever as people thought they were.

TrainsOfDisney

They aren't making DAS calls at the attractions. If you are denied DAS, most will use the ACR option.
It’s been repeated many times by various posters that nobody is being denied Disability Access - they are just being offered other accommodations- and those accommodations are being handled at the attractions.
Not sure how you could offload those things from attraction CMs.
Well… they weren’t a part of the attraction CM job until very recently.

nickys

Premium Member
Rider switch as it's stated on Disney's site, though, requires there to be a non-rider. So if it is an attraction that all in the party want to ride, that doesn't appear to work as a disability accommodation.
They adapt it.

The person who can’t wait in line waits with a carer, then when the first group comes off the ride the two go through the LL line.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm far less worried about people's ability to cheat now than I used to be, especially considering how many people in various online Disney communities -- who are significantly more informed than the average guest -- still think DAS is diagnosis-based.

All the "Everyone will just say they have autism now. Checkmate, Disney!" comments when this change was first announced turned out to not be nearly as clever as people thought they were.
And saying that does not guarantee you DAS.

So not Checkmate at all.

ConfettiCupcake

Well… they weren’t a part of the attraction CM job until very recently.

Because everyone was covered by DAS. Attraction CMs are not assigning DAS to people, they’re determining the appropriate way to assist in exiting and re-entering lines, which is based on a multitude of sometimes changing factors that can’t always be assigned ahead of time (unless you want to let everyone skip the physical queue which they clearly do not).

Edit: I believe attraction CMs were however (correct me if I’m wrong) “determining” accommodations for some physical needs that did not qualify for DAS. By determining, I mean they listened to the need and accommodated appropriately without any prior approval from Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom