New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

That's true. And i suppose its a somewhat self-correcting process. If any significant number of people tried to take advantage of doing it in park, those lines would become longer and reduce the advantages of doing so. And i would imagine if Disney saw the number of AP holders choosing to register in park growing, they'd just start throwing incentives at people doing it in advance again.
That worked so well with ride capacity the 1st time around. Dare i ask the question would disney be in its right to tell someone sorry you need to use your phone etc to try and qualify for das esp a local ap who should be welll aware if the rules

NotTheOne

That worked so well with ride capacity the 1st time around. Dare i ask the question would disney be in its right to tell someone sorry you need to use your phone etc to try and qualify for das esp a local ap who should be welll aware if the rules
I agree, giving incentives isn't going to be a good idea. But I don't even think it will be necessary, as it will balance out on its own at some point - simple supply and demand.

Angel Ariel

Reports are showing return times being issued in rare cases, as well as rider switch being offered. I can absolutely see trying to insist on a return time for their entire party rather than rider switch or AQR.
Rider switch as it's stated on Disney's site, though, requires there to be a non-rider. So if it is an attraction that all in the party want to ride, that doesn't appear to work as a disability accommodation.

Splash4eva

Rider switch as it's stated on Disney's site, though, requires there to be a non-rider. So if it is an attraction that all in the party want to ride, that doesn't appear to work as a disability accommodation.
How is rider switch for das any different than its been with parents who have children under height limits etc? My ex and myself used it before our daughter was tall enough to ride

ConfettiCupcake

Other than AQR, which is now available to everyone, what is the 'more' additional accommodation? 🤷‍♂️

I think they don’t want it put out there for public consumption via their own website that sometimes depending on the attraction, party make up, crowd levels, standby time, exit reason, point in queue the exit happens at, etc they can grant immediate access to the boarding area, or immediate access to the LL/a return time for the LL without requiring part of the party to stay behind in line.

No doubt if this is published and not just told in stories online people will demand their preferred accommodation when the factors present require the CM to accommodate in a different way.

NotTheOne

I saw one report on FB where rider switch was offered at WDW...the point is, that AQR isn't the only accommodation being offered.

Due to DAS working the same way every time at every attraction, people seem to think that any other accommodations will have to work the same way every time at every attraction. It's obviously not going to happen, as based on reports, accommodations are tweaked based on party size, length of standby, length of LL, etc. Given those variables, it's simply not realistic to expect Disney to post how it will work in all possible situations.

MickeyLuv'r

Reports are showing return times being issued in rare cases, as well as rider switch being offered. I can absolutely see trying to insist on a return time for their entire party rather than rider switch or AQR.
But that wasn't the question. We were discussing why Disney should publicly explain AQR to everyone.

It has been well established that AQR is now available to everyone, as in people who are not disabled and have never asked for DAS.

We're talking about Disney, the company that advertises every new cupcake design. There's no reason for Disney to be cagey about AQR.

MDE's homepage has ads for VQ, the free Genie service, TBA, PhotoPass...it should have a banner explaining the new AQR.

Chi84

Premium Member
But that wasn't the question. We were discussing why Disney should publicly explain AQR to everyone.

It has been well established that AQR is now available to everyone, as in people who are not disabled and have never asked for DAS.

We're talking about Disney, the company that advertises every new cupcake design. There's no reason for Disney to be cagey about AQR.

MDE's homepage has ads for VQ, the free Genie service, TBA, PhotoPass...it should have a banner explaining the new AQR.
But AQR isn’t really a benefit, is it? It’s just a way to temporarily leave the line if you have to.

I don’t know about you, but I think it would be kind of goofy to advertise it.

MickeyLuv'r

I agree. The accommodation is being able to leave the line and return. I think what the poster may be referring to is the idea that there's an extra accommodation that lets you skip standing in line at all. My understanding is that you go to the queue, tell them that you may have to leave the line and then they decide what to tell you. In some cases, it may be a return time, but that seems to be based on the number in the party and the specific configuration of the ride.
Yes, I've read this entire thread. I am well aware of what has been discussed. But that option is not an option available to the general public. The general public is now being offered AQR.

We were talking about Disney openly explaining AQR. I would expect Disney to let us know that AQR is an option. Just as they explain which rides spin and/or have sudden drops.

Angel Ariel

I saw one report on FB where rider switch was offered at WDW...the point is, that AQR isn't the only accommodation being offered.

Due to DAS working the same way every time at every attraction, people seem to think that any other accommodations will have to work the same way every time at every attraction. It's obviously not going to happen, as based on reports, accommodations are tweaked based on party size, length of standby, length of LL, etc. Given those variables, it's simply not realistic to expect Disney to post how it will work in all possible situations.
I've never indicated I expect it to work the same at every attraction 🤷‍♀️

MickeyLuv'r

But AQR isn’t really a benefit, is it? It’s just a way to temporarily leave the line if you have to.

I don’t know about you, but I think it would be kind of goofy to advertise it.
Maybe advertise is the wrong word. the discussion a few pages back was that this page, and i didn't say it was a benefit, just new:

is a bit vague. It is also buried fairly deep in the WDW website.

And it is listed after Single rider, as if the SR queue is a disability accommodation. The top of the page says: Learn more about how Guests with mental or physical impairments can access attractions queues while in the theme parks. and then they have SR near the top of the list.

Chi84

Premium Member
Maybe advertise is the wrong word. the discussion a few pages back was that this page, and i didn't say it was a benefit, just new:

And it is listed after Single rider, as if the SR queue is a disability accommodation. The top of the page says: Learn more about how Guests with mental or physical impairments can access attractions queues while in the theme parks. and then they have SR near the top of the list.
Maybe single rider is listed as a way to get into a shorter line.

I have a feeling you’re trying to make a point, but I’m not sure what it is. Maybe because of so many small kids, Disney has never had the kind of signs they have at other parks saying that if you leave the queue for any reason, you must re-enter at the end.

I don’t think Disney is touting return to line or attraction queue return as a new way to access lines or plan your day - like VQ’s or Genie. It seems they’re just willing to accommodate people who need to leave the line, which often happens with young kids or the elderly in addition to those with disabilities.

NotTheOne

I would think that since you were the one that asked the question I was responding to, you would know that that WAS the question...to refresh your memory:

Other than AQR, which is now available to everyone, what is the 'more' additional accommodation? 🤷‍♂️
My answer:

"Reports are showing return times being issued in rare cases, as well as rider switch being offered. I can absolutely see trying to insist on a return time for their entire party rather than rider switch or AQR."

MickeyLuv'r

From the little bits of reports that have come out, they seem to actually intend to accommodate in a variety of different ways that are dependent on more factors than just which attraction it is.
If so, that suggests Disney is maybe in a testing phase of sorts, and that they will adjust if it isn't working.

When FP+ changed over time. When it was first released, it was 3 passes only, and the only real way to change any passes was to stand in a long line in the parks. Over time, they added 4th FP, and times could be adjusted.

When G+ was new, no modifications were allowed, but the price was always $15, and it was the same for all 4 parks. Over time, Disney introduced variable pricing.

The AQR polices are currently being tested.

NotTheOne

Single rider might well accommodate someone who doesn't mind riding alone and needs a shorter line.

MickeyLuv'r

The point is that not only is it not going to work the same at every attraction, it may well work differently at the same attraction given the circumstances at the time the request is made.
and that is potentially a problem. You are coming at this topic from the perspective of wanting to curb abuse.

But think about traveling to WDW as someone with a disability.

Consistency, and knowing what to expect is often very helpful. Like imagine if you could not tolerate spinning, knowing in advance that a ride spins would help you decide if you should attempt the teacups, or skip it.

I always thought FP- was easy to use, but it confused a great many people.

NotTheOne

and that is potentially a problem. You are coming at this topic from the perspective of wanting to curb abuse.

But think about traveling to WDW as someone with a disability.

Consistency, and knowing what to expect is often very helpful. Like imagine if you could not tolerate spinning, knowing in advance that a ride spins would help you decide if you should attempt the teacups, or skip it.

I always thought FP- was easy to use, but it confused a great many people.
Not just abuse, but overuse. It's clear that DAS was being overused, and that has led to these changes.

Consistency and knowing what to expect is helpful for everyone, although obviously more so for many with disabilities. But that isn't always possible, either at Disney or anyplace else. Disney has made the decision that more individualized accommodations will be offered, and may not always be the same while still accommodating. No one has to like it, but it appears that's how it will be.

It's easy to describe a ride because the ride doesn't change. It seems that won't be the same for accommodations. Sometimes it will work to guests' advantage (short standby, very short LL, just go ahead enter the LL) and sometimes it won't (long standby, the rest of your party can wait in line and you can join them at the merge, or try standby and if you have to leave, let a CM know and we'll tell you what you need to do in order to meet up with your party).

Disney has to accommodate, but with the exception of DAS, they don't appear to want to lock themselves into accommodating the exact same way for every instance...and they're under no obligation to do so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom