New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

TrainsOfDisney

Well, DAS allows you to skip standing/waiting in line, just as GAC did, so I'm not really sure what point you were trying to make...
GAC skipped the standing and the waiting.
DAS skipped the standing but you had to wait.

Now one issue that i wasn’t aware of before this thread is the issue that DAS doesn’t have an end. That was an issue for operations and shouldn’t have been permitted. There should have been a return time given so attractions could know how to prepare and set the standby time appropriately during that window.

nickys

Premium Member
GAC skipped the standing and the waiting.
DAS skipped the standing but you had to wait.

Now one issue that i wasn’t aware of before this thread is the issue that DAS doesn’t have an end. That was an issue for operations and shouldn’t have been permitted. There should have been a return time given so attractions could know how to prepare and set the standby time appropriately during that window.
That was the way it was designed, not an “issue”. For some people a return time would not have been possible to meet. The open-ended return was designed to allow guests to return when their situation allowed.

TrainsOfDisney

That was the way it was designed, not an “issue”. For some people a return time would not have been possible to meet. The open-ended return was designed to allow guests to return when their situation allowed.
It was an “issue” for operations. The return time window could be generous, but it needs to exist to properly calculate wait time expectations for other guests.

Splash4eva

I'm not saying this to pick a fight or to bash your opinion and observations, quite the opposite as it's something I've been super stressed over. In my case (and I can only speak for myself) I have several interconnected disabilities where they all sort of make each other "worse" in certain situations. I only ever needed to mention the one in previous interviews. I was never asked what -else- made lines an impossibility. So I never said "okay so it's issue A that effects X and then issue B chimes in and causes Y to happen to X and Z and then issue C needles issue B and makes X and Y worse" I only had to say so it's issue A which causes X. Issue A is embarrassing and awkward but it's the quickest to explain and cast members (and UO team members at the time when that was a thing) were always very quick to approve and get off the subject.

I completely understand why this would look to many as suspicious. It's something I've been stressing about since the news came out like oh BEANS I've never had to tell the full story. I'm so nervous about being misunderstood I tend to over communicate which makes it -worse- I'm actually working on a flow chart to show at attractions so the information can be conveyed without me dumping piles of disorganized details at every CMs feet. Like here's the full picture I never had to give before, please help 😅
Again i stressed majority & clearly said not all… i would be comfy in saying 75% of locals who has das knew what to say & how to play the game.

Splash4eva

With a few exceptions, I just don't believe that to be true.

Solo travelers who have no one to hold their spot, two people with one unable to hold a spot for the disabled person, situations like that, yeah I can see where the accommodations might not work.

But a couple where one can hold the spot in line or a family/group where one or more people can hold their place in line? No reason whatsoever why that can't work. Not as easy as DAS? True. Have to split up the family/group? True. But being able to do next to nothing? Sorry, I'm not buying it.
And im not saying this to side with Disney but Genie+ has again worked excellent for me this trip so yes as a DAS holder its nice to have both but if i am denied on whenever my next trip is i feel okay to still come here if my daughter wants. I have pretty much ALL great experiences with the product and ive been here at 4 different “times” of year so. I know its not ideal for those who dont buy Genie but it is an option imo.

DoubleSwitchback

I've never understood why this was the case, given how generously DAS is structured. If there was a fixed return window, and someone can't meet it, they could cancel and immediately rejoin the line without needing to be anywhere near the ride, correct?

Purduevian

I've never understood why this was the case, given how generously DAS is structured. If there was a fixed return window, and someone can't meet it, they could cancel and immediately rejoin the line without needing to be anywhere near the ride, correct?
I don't think Disney wants to put people in the position of picking to making their return time or taking care of an issue associated with a disability.

jjpet

Of course no data will show anything with certainty. But, were I looking for overusers or unnecessary cases, I might look out for people who spend dozens of days per year in the parks and visit for long hours. I might pay attention to people who always use return times right on the dot and make another attraction selection immediately.

In my mind, DAS covers people whose visits might otherwise be more limited or more chaotic. Those things I mentioned above (keeping a tight schedule, tolerating crowds) would suggest a user might be able to tour in a more normal way.
This is pretty much exactly what I thought your response would be. As mentioned earlier in this thread... many of those with developmental disabilities who continue to qualify under the new system utilize DAS exactly the way you describe. Often the centrifugal motions and sensory stimulation of the ride experiences ARE what helps them stay regulated, and the way they accessed the park on paper makes them look like they don't need DAS specifically BECAUSE they had DAS. The data you reference actually points to DAS doing what it is designed to do, not that the person using it didn't need it.

Splash4eva

Yes this is another “loophole” of something that could have eased the pain but say on a headliner it would not matter.. again im guilty of doing this but ill book say 7Ds during dinner so when we are done we can go ride it asap. But even with say a return window. You are talking it will already have a 60 min wait then say another 1 hour window and the 15 min grace. You are talking close to 2.5 hours to get on it. But yes this is something that imo Disney can do like with the pre books. You have an hour window to return and use it. Ill say this. They are pretty strict with these return times to a degree from my experience. They could have easily done the same with DAS and also the 10 minute reduction is really not needed either. I understood “why” they gave people that but its another “perk” that wasnt needed. Thats 20 minutes a ride people now “lose” again that adds up.

dreamfinder912

Again i stressed majority & clearly said not all… i would be comfy in saying 75% of locals who has das knew what to say & how to play the game.
My wording was bad I apologize, I didn't and don't want to sound antagonizing at all. Just, I'm in that group of disabled locals and I'm terrified Disney will view things this way and I'll end up facing even more challenges. I am local. I do know what I'm doing in a Disney park. I've been a frequent vacationer since birth and became disabled after moving down here. I apologize for any defensiveness in my answer. I'm just trying to get the word out there that even if it looks bad, it isn't in every case, and id say most cases. There are absolutely shady people, but they're the ones exchanging step by step tutorials for likes.

Splash4eva

My wording was bad I apologize, I didn't and don't want to sound antagonizing at all. Just, I'm in that group of disabled locals and I'm terrified Disney will view things this way and I'll end up facing even more challenges. I am local. I do know what I'm doing in a Disney park. I've been a frequent vacationer since birth and became disabled after moving down here. I apologize for any defensiveness in my answer. I'm just trying to get the word out there that even if it looks bad, it isn't in every case, and id say most cases. There are absolutely shady people, but they're the ones exchanging step by step tutorials for likes.
Trust me i get it & didnt take it in a bad way… listen im in a similar boat with my conditions and just as concerned as you are. I was lucky to get in a couple days before the changes were made & its already been decided my daughter does not wanna come back here next year. So i have time and what im assuming yet another new or tweaked system from its current form. I am happy tho that Genie did work great again for most part so i have that yo fall back on if all else fails.

Kristamouse

We could all probably make a pretty accurate guess as to what the ‘correct’ answers are to be assigned DAS just being involved in this conversation for a decent amount of time. Sure there were ‘scripts’ being shared before, but I most motivated people could figure it out without.

I think it goes back to what they’ve seemingly been focused on the whole time with this change, curbing outright liars is a side effect and curbing what once was legitimate use is the goal.
Same as 3 of our kids were denied...I could guess what we should have stressed more

TrainsOfDisney

Just, I'm in that group of disabled locals and I'm terrified Disney will view things this way and I'll end up facing even more challenges.
and that’s the #1 point that needs to be emphasized - nobody from the disabled community should have one ounce of worry or concern that Disney will not do everything they possibly can to accommodate them.

Yet here we are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom