New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

I think it would be imprudent to introduce deliberate arbitrariness into any system of disability accommodations. Not to mention the optics.
Again i would not disagree. All im saying is its something in theory noone would really know about…and something Disney can probably do semi discretely and loosen some of the restraints they have put on people now…

C33Mom

What case other than the GAC case has there been?

And you can’t eliminate disability access. The loading and unloading of wheelchairs “significantly impacts” the wait times on many attractions.
There was a GAC case out of Disney World that established Disney’s operational needs (and non-disabled guest wait times and satisfaction) gave them the right to curtail line skipping accommodations at the trial court level and then affirmed even more strongly on appeal. There was a similar case with similar facts and the same conclusion at Disneyland.

Nobody is talking about eliminating existing physical access, though there are plenty of rides that cannot be accessed by individuals who cannot transfer from their mobility device (at WDW and Uni) so I presume that there are some reasonability limitations on physical access laws as well.

Chi84

Premium Member
DAS is a form of access - I believe it is a requirement.
DAS is a Disney program with several elements. Do you mean it’s a requirement to allow disabled people to skip standing in line?

Unless Disney changes its current accommodations - which include DAS under certain circumstances - we may not get an answer to that question.

ditzee

We should start seeing results in LL of fewer DAS users in a couple of days.

Was surprised to read that a lot of people are turned off by anything Disney - they're boycotting. People say one thing and do another but, on the other hand, Bud Light sales decreased by 25% for a while and they were still 30% down per week in December 2023 and at about 14% down now. Plus people canceling trips because of not getting DAS or the uncertainty of not qualifying.
Would these numbers affect crowds and DAS? Curious to see how Disney parks numbers will compare to Universal. I mean I know Disney's will be higher but will Universal's numbers increase?

TrojanUSC

DAS is a form of access - I believe it is a requirement.

No, DAS is not a requirement. Disney has to provide some kind of access, but it doesn't have to be DAS.

I do think one mistake in this whole thing was keeping the DAS name. They should have simply gotten rid of the name all together and relaunched a new "Guest Assistance Service" (or some such title) which would allow them to sidestep the "we are taking this shiny thing you love away and only giving it to a few other people" narrative that these TikTok warriors with their IBS and POTS are so irate about. It's just a better look to start from scratch and say "we're retiring DAS and offering a host of new accommodation options," which can then be discussed in detail on the video call.

KrzyKtty

No, DAS is not a requirement. Disney has to provide some kind of access, but it doesn't have to be DAS.

I do think one mistake in this whole thing was keeping the DAS name. They should have simply gotten rid of the name all together and relaunched a new "Guest Assistance Service" (or some such title) which would allow them to sidestep the "we are taking this shiny thing you love away and only giving it to a few other people" narrative that these TikTok warriors with their IBS and POTS are so irate about. It's just a better look to start from scratch and say "we're retiring DAS and offering a host of new accommodation options," which can then be discussed in detail on the video call.
Agree 100%. I said something earlier that was very similar. Obviously said it was a bad idea to keep calling a disability access service and then limit which disabilities got access. Mostly due to these social justice warriors like you pointed out.

John park hopper

Am going to make a resort reservation (no intention of going yet) just to see what they say about my VA disability condition since they won't tell me otherwise.

JMcMahonEsq

Again i would not disagree. All im saying is its something in theory noone would really know about…and something Disney can probably do semi discretely and loosen some of the restraints they have put on people now…
How do you establish a policy at a publicly traded multinational corporation and think no one would really know about it? You don’t/can’t establish a compliance policy and have it be discrete.

KrzyKtty

Am going to make a resort reservation (no intention of going yet) just to see what they say about my VA disability condition since they won't tell me otherwise.
As in if you qualify for DAS? I'm not sure you're gonna get an answer other than calling at 30 days. It will be nice if you do though

natatomic

No reason to think you’d get nothing out of everything you listed. Genie+ and ILL are available to anyone and easy to get. I’ve never not been able to get a virtual queue as long as I’m on at 7am. Return to queue is available to anyone for any reason even if most people don’t seem to understand what that actually is.
I can’t speak from experience, but I swear I see posts like this in the FB groups every single day. So, easy for those who know what they’re doing, but probably not so for your average first time (or even second time) guest.

Attachments

• IMG_7201.jpeg
    IMG_7201.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 177

jennab55

Logic would say if they grant it once they would grant it again. My point is I would like to know well in advance of planning a vacation to the bubble
But that is what got people into this mindset in the first place “they granted it before so I will be approved next time”. Based on their recent changes, or any possible upcoming changed, I would never assume that if you are approved this time you will be the next. They could totally change the program again or restrict who is eligible even more. I would go into any trip assuming you will not be approved for DAS and have alternative options just in case.

pdude81

I don’t think we’ll have any choice but to buy Genie/ILL, we’ve only used it once and we were very disappointed though so we have low expectations, we showed up at HS about 10am, after doing a runDisney race, and everything was sold out by about noon. I think we managed 2 rides for our $20 each, not a great first experience.

It’s why I chuckle when everyone says to just use Genie, hard to do when they sell out, even harder when you aren’t sure how long you’ll be able to stay in the park and it assigns you times hours into the future.

I’m sure we’ll figure it out after more people have shared their experiences, none of it makes me eager to book a trip anytime soon though.
Just a note for the future. Suddenly at 7am you'll see a lot of walking on course. With Genie+ at DHS you can't wait until 10am or you'll be way behind the eight ball.

Splash4eva

How do you establish a policy at a publicly traded multinational corporation and think no one would really know about it? You don’t/can’t establish a compliance policy and have it be discrete.
The policy seems arbitrary and again behind closed doors in theory noone would know not saying it be something they can “officially” announce but if the feedback is bad its something they can possibly look into. Again just thoughts & yes i work on wall st so im well aware of the fact of what they are…

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
But that is what got people into this mindset in the first place “they granted it before so I will be approved next time”. Based on their recent changes, or any possible upcoming changed, I would never assume that if you are approved this time you will be the next. They could totally change the program again or restrict who is eligible even more. I would go into any trip assuming you will not be approved for DAS and have alternative options just in case.
A big piece of this overhaul looks like they’re trying to recalibrate expectations and extent of reliance on DAS.

Dial back some of the more extreme expectations and make more obvious a middle ground exists for remedy.

Kingoglow

I'll play devil's advocate here.

photomatt is unnecessarily combative, I agree.

However, his idea would actually allow Disney to continue to accommodate a wider range of disabilities through DAS. They would have to conduct DAS interviews farther in advance, for sure. But if they limited the number of DAS passes per day they could accommodate more disabilities, people would just have to plan ahead.

Disney wants to reduce the number of people using DAS and to provide other accommodations where necessary. Disney no longer feels like DAS is an operationally sustainable program to such a wide range of disabilities. Coming into this thread so late and saying it is DAS or nothing isn't adding anything at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom