New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chip Chipperson

The policy seems arbitrary and again behind closed doors in theory noone would know not saying it be something they can “officially” announce but if the feedback is bad its something they can possibly look into. Again just thoughts & yes i work on wall st so im well aware of the fact of what they are…
Do you think that could possibly be kept quiet today with social media? You're expecting the employees to all keep it quiet AND expecting all of the customers granted the service to keep it quiet. No whistleblowers. No "I got DAS approved for ____" posts on social media or Disney message boards. It's not possible and - as you already conceded - quite likely illegal.

jaklgreen

so I wonder why CMs aren’t getting approved? Don’t they get asked the same questions as everyone else?

Yes I think the visitors who come often are putting the strain on the system. I think the people who come once a year or less are probably buying G+ already even if they are getting DAS. At least we did the last 2 times we came in 2021 and 2022. I do also wonder if they are being more lenient on approvals of DAS for non APs.
But they really shouldn't be deciding who qualifies for DAS based on if you have an AP or DVC. It is supposed to be needs based, right? If this is true, that they look up your AP/DVC status and it has an affect on if you are approved, that is just trash. How quickly they forget that those are the people that kept them in business after the shutdown.

jaklgreen

I do want to clarify I can only speak for 1 attraction that I'm not able to name(sorry, I care enough to post but not to get in trouble). I don't know what the ratio looks like property wide. But I do think it's a good indicator of what Disney is going for here.
Can you say what they are doing for solo travelers that have medical needs but get rejected from DAS?

Splash4eva

Do you think that could possibly be kept quiet today with social media? You're expecting the employees to all keep it quiet AND expecting all of the customers granted the service to keep it quiet. No whistleblowers. No "I got DAS approved for ____" posts on social media or Disney message boards. It's not possible and - as you already conceded - quite likely illegal.
Short answer. No i dont think its possible. Same way i dont think its gonna be possible to keep the “key words to say” secret either on who is getting approved.

Purduevian

But they really shouldn't be deciding who qualifies for DAS based on if you have an AP or DVC. It is supposed to be needs based, right? If this is true, that they look up your AP/DVC status and it has an affect on if you are approved, that is just trash. How quickly they forget that those are the people that kept them in business after the shutdown.
No Legal background, but just an assumption. As long as they provide AP or DVC with the minimum legally required disability accommodations (which really are not well defined for a theme park), I think they could discriminate based on ticket type as ticket type is not a protected class.

The optics of this would be pretty rough though.

Splash4eva

Another point to make regarding data Disney has on every guest… if for years a persona need DAS for X reason and now all of a sudden that reason is no longer granted access and that person now miraculously has a condition that qualifies I think its safe to say that the majority of those people again i said majority NOT all are probably lying. Just my thoughts.

TrainsOfDisney

DAS is a Disney program with several elements. Do you mean it’s a requirement to allow disabled people to skip standing in line?
Short answer yes, but of course we all know it is complicated.

Disney has to make reasonable accommodations for guests with disabilities.

“Skip standing line” is not what Disney has offered since GAC was discontinued.

jaklgreen

Logic would say if they grant it once they would grant it again. My point is I would like to know well in advance of planning a vacation to the bubble
You also need park tickets, not just a resort reservation, FYI. They won't even talk to you unless you have your tickets bought already. But good news is that are willing to refund people as of now.

ConfettiCupcake

We could all probably make a pretty accurate guess as to what the ‘correct’ answers are to be assigned DAS just being involved in this conversation for a decent amount of time. Sure there were ‘scripts’ being shared before, but I most motivated people could figure it out without.

I think it goes back to what they’ve seemingly been focused on the whole time with this change, curbing outright liars is a side effect and curbing what once was legitimate use is the goal.

dreamfinder912

Another point to make regarding data Disney has on every guest… if for years a persona need DAS for X reason and now all of a sudden that reason is no longer granted access and that person now miraculously has a condition that qualifies I think its safe to say that the majority of those people again i said majority NOT all are probably lying. Just my thoughts.
I'm not saying this to pick a fight or to bash your opinion and observations, quite the opposite as it's something I've been super stressed over. In my case (and I can only speak for myself) I have several interconnected disabilities where they all sort of make each other "worse" in certain situations. I only ever needed to mention the one in previous interviews. I was never asked what -else- made lines an impossibility. So I never said "okay so it's issue A that effects X and then issue B chimes in and causes Y to happen to X and Z and then issue C needles issue B and makes X and Y worse" I only had to say so it's issue A which causes X. Issue A is embarrassing and awkward but it's the quickest to explain and cast members (and UO team members at the time when that was a thing) were always very quick to approve and get off the subject.

I completely understand why this would look to many as suspicious. It's something I've been stressing about since the news came out like oh BEANS I've never had to tell the full story. I'm so nervous about being misunderstood I tend to over communicate which makes it -worse- I'm actually working on a flow chart to show at attractions so the information can be conveyed without me dumping piles of disorganized details at every CMs feet. Like here's the full picture I never had to give before, please help 😅

Not gonna say exactly where, but over the last few days I've personally seen the Ratio of DAS vs Genie+ shift dramatically. Used to be around 60% of LL scans in a given hour were DAS at this attraction during peak times. Now it's down to about 15-20%. It's definitely noticeable to CM's.
I want to know more. Do you know whether there were fewer LL scans overall?

If we assume G+ slots haven't changed, then that's many fewer LL guests total and MANY fewer DAS. Like, let's assume 1,000 G+ slots per hour just for even numbers. That would mean that DAS scans went from 1,500 per hour (to account for 60%) to 250 per hour (to account for 20%). That's a HUGE change.

Maybe Disney is already increasing G+ inventory? Can anyone speak to whether there's more availability? Ideally, I hope Disney will split the difference to make standby lines more bearable (even if they're just visibly moving) and G+ more helpful.

Purduevian

Maybe Disney is already increasing G+ inventory? Can anyone speak to whether there's more availability? Ideally, I hope Disney will split the difference to make standby lines more bearable (even if they're just visibly moving) and G+ more helpful.
I picked JC because why not. this is from Thrill Data, but it might be trending to more availability but not super easy to say (The longer there is color and the closer to green that color is means it has more availability)
1718722141523.png

NotTheOne

Some who are eligible under the new rules may be able to have an almost normal day using DAS but without it would be able to do next to nothing. If you want to know why PM me as I don't want to put a roadmap out here in public those I don't know the posting history of
With a few exceptions, I just don't believe that to be true.

Solo travelers who have no one to hold their spot, two people with one unable to hold a spot for the disabled person, situations like that, yeah I can see where the accommodations might not work.

But a couple where one can hold the spot in line or a family/group where one or more people can hold their place in line? No reason whatsoever why that can't work. Not as easy as DAS? True. Have to split up the family/group? True. But being able to do next to nothing? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom