New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

I can only speak to my experience as a CM from the GAC days - but I can tell you it happened because I saw it first hand. Everest, Splash, Star Tours (when it first reopened), Kali - the same families would come through over and over and over again flashing that red card without blinking an eye. Was every GAC holder a power user? No. But was every a power rerider holding a GAC? Yes, unless the attraction happened to not have a wait.

I know it’s different with DAS, in that you can’t have instant access to the to the lightning lane now. But it would be naive to assume those former GAC power users wouldn’t still use the DAS to reride their favorites as many times as they could.
I never said that NO ONE was doing it. I am saying that many on here are assuming that ALL DAS holders are doing this. And of course that is not the case. There is zero empathy here from some about those who deal with legitimate medical issues. From calling people "entitled" to assuming that everyone is abusing DAS. It is gross. We know that there are people who are faking it, but stop lumping everyone in that group.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't know; sometimes I think I go to an entirely different place than some of the posters here. I can absolutely say that in over 50 trips to Disney as an adult, I've never once approached a CM with a polite, reasonable request and had them "throw up their hands" in exasperation. Lucky, I guess.
For all my visits to both WDW and DL the over all majority of CM’s are wonderful especially compared to “real world” destinations.

But I have had a few surprisingly rude encounters, some were directed at me personally, and others I’ve just witnessed. It happens.

The most bizarre that happened to me personally was when I asked a CM where to stand if I wanted to order in person - there was one long line and I didn’t know if that was mobile order pickup - I wasn’t rude or frustrated I just genuinely didn’t know where to stand and asked her and she began yelling at me for not seeing the line of people, not joking a lead came out and replaced her right after the incident it was that bad.

So yes… CM’s can be aggressive and rude but thankfully that is the minority.

jaklgreen

You are right, if I had DAS I would try to use it to get maximum advantage and ride my favorite attraction three times in one day.
It is not an advantage when everyone is free to re-ride whatever they want. DAS holders don't get on rides faster than anyone else, they still wait the posted standby wait time for that ride. Is there still a confusion about that?

JMcMahonEsq

It is not an advantage when everyone is free to re-ride whatever they want. DAS holders don't get on rides faster than anyone else, they still wait the posted standby wait time for that ride. Is there still a confusion about that?
I think his point is that there is an advantage over everyone else in the sense that a non-DAS person has to actually wait in the lets say 50min line for the ride, go on the ride, then go back into the 50min line to wait in order to ride again. Thats 1hour and 40min of waiting in line, to go on the ride twice. If you are a DAS holder, you get your return time, and then for the first 50 min, you can go grab something to eat, you can go shopping, you could go ride a ride that has no wait time, and then report back for your first ride. Then you can make the decision to re-ride the ride, and for the next 50 minutes find another ride with no wait time, go grab a spring roll, or go grab some pins. For the person without DAS to ride a ride twice your taking that 1hour and 40 minutes out of your day and dedicating it to that re-ride. Whereas for the DAS holder, you can do the same double ride, while still having the ability to do a lot of other things in the park.

ConfettiCupcake

A virtual queue wait isn’t the same time commitment as a standard queue wait even if they’re the exact same length down to the millisecond. That isn’t intended to imply anything about the DAS users from my end, implying they are entitled or embellishing or anything, but they just aren’t comparable.

natatomic

I have a simple question for Disney now again i wasnt complaining but why did they give away 2 free pre books?!? Absolutely NO need on an already strained system and why didnt they remove them when this was clearly noticeable. We are gonna compare DAS (old version) to DAS new version which is literally completely different animals.
I see some already answered it, but I thought it was the answer to the “my autistic child fixates on one ride and needs to ride it back to back” issue. I don’t know how the prebooks work, but could they be used for the same ride?

I swear this was the reason, but maybe I’m misremembering.

Splash4eva

As a carrot to register online to free up in park CMs. I imagine they’re gone because they agreed that at this point in time they became problematic to operations.
My point is this tho. How clueless could they have been to not realize this was hurting the system and why did they not get rid of them asap… its like they intentionally did this to implode the system

natatomic

I never said that NO ONE was doing it. I am saying that many on here are assuming that ALL DAS holders are doing this. And of course that is not the case. There is zero empathy here from some about those who deal with legitimate medical issues. From calling people "entitled" to assuming that everyone is abusing DAS. It is gross. We know that there are people who are faking it, but stop lumping everyone in that group.
“Was every GAC holder a power user? No. But was ever a power rerider holding a GAC? Yes, unless the attraction happened to not have a wait.”

Quoting myself here because you apparently missed the part where I said it wasn’t all the GAC users, so no, I didn’t “lump everyone in that group.”

You specifically asked this: “But why is everyone all of a sudden assuming that DAS holders are riding the "E" tickets over and over again? All of these are just made up speculations in people's minds.”

I wasn’t “speculating” power usage. I saw it with my own eyes for ten years. I was clear to state that it wasn’t all GAC users, but GAC users were the ones who had the ability to power ride, and many - not all - did just that. If people did it with GAC, why wouldn’t they do the same with DAS (though they would obviously not have the same instant access as with GAC)?

Disstevefan1

I have no confusion about how DAS can be used to maximize access to attractions.

I do have confusion as to why folks with legitimate limitations that previously qualified for DAS now do not.

jaklgreen

I think his point is that there is an advantage over everyone else in the sense that a non-DAS person has to actually wait in the lets say 50min line for the ride, go on the ride, then go back into the 50min line to wait in order to ride again. Thats 1hour and 40min of waiting in line, to go on the ride twice. If you are a DAS holder, you get your return time, and then for the first 50 min, you can go grab something to eat, you can go shopping, you could go ride a ride that has no wait time, and then report back for your first ride. Then you can make the decision to re-ride the ride, and for the next 50 minutes find another ride with no wait time, go grab a spring roll, or go grab some pins. For the person without DAS to ride a ride twice your taking that 1hour and 40 minutes out of your day and dedicating it to that re-ride. Whereas for the DAS holder, you can do the same double ride, while still having the ability to do a lot of other things in the park.
And again, aside from those who are faking it, we are talking about people with legitimate medical issues. Many of which take that time between rides to deal with their medical conditions. That is why I, and others are saying to not lump everyone together. Just because someone has DAS, does not mean that they are getting on a bunch more rides than everyone else.
I can say for my issue, I don't get to the park before 9:30-10 and I leave well before fireworks. I will only get on about 3 rides at most a day and I don't ride anything while waiting for the return time. I spend most of my day walking around and going from bathroom to bathroom. And I am not the only one that tours like this. So we are just asking for everyone here to be just a tad more human and considerate. I would gladly wait in all of the lines if it meant that I no longer had my medical issues because it truly does run my life.

Dranth

It may not be an advantage in terms of riding the same ride but people using DAS don't have to wait in the actually line and are free to do something else during that time. That gives them the option, if capable, to experience exponentially more of the parks than those without it.

People need to stop trying to pretend DAS isn't a MASSIVE advantage over everyone else in the park except for the guided tours.

Also, before someone brings it up, we are all aware that not everyone uses it that way and of course not everyone, due to the nature of some disabilities, could even use it that way if they wanted. That isn't the point. It is being overused and abused so Disney is trying to fix it. I am sure they will need to tweak things, but I would be willing to bet that DAS as it was is never coming back.

jaklgreen

I see some already answered it, but I thought it was the answer to the “my autistic child fixates on one ride and needs to ride it back to back” issue. I don’t know how the prebooks work, but could they be used for the same ride?

I swear this was the reason, but maybe I’m misremembering.
Prebooks were limited and could not be used for the same ride. They also did not include the E ticket rides. I belong to a DAS group and the majority of people actually said that they didn't even end up using the prebooks because the time didn't work out for them. That is another point about those with disabilities, they can't always make that hour return time the Genie+ has because they can have flair ups or other issues in that time frame that need to be dealt with.

ConfettiCupcake

My point is this tho. How clueless could they have been to not realize this was hurting the system and why did they not get rid of them asap… its like they intentionally did this to implode the system

I feel like never attribute to malice what can accurately be explained by stupidity can apply here. For years they have made a mess out of their queuing far beyond the reaches of just DAS. FP+ and then Genie+ really exposed a lot of issues, yet they continue to press on with it. I’d lump the DAS prebooks in that category as well, something they implemented which may have snowballed and got out of hand.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

“Was every GAC holder a power user? No. But was ever a power rerider holding a GAC? Yes, unless the attraction happened to not have a wait.”

Quoting myself here because you apparently missed the part where I said it wasn’t all the GAC users, so no, I didn’t “lump everyone in that group.”

You specifically asked this: “But why is everyone all of a sudden assuming that DAS holders are riding the "E" tickets over and over again? All of these are just made up speculations in people's minds.”

I wasn’t “speculating” power usage. I saw it with my own eyes for ten years. I was clear to state that it wasn’t all GAC users, but GAC users were the ones who had the ability to power ride, and many - not all - did just that. If people did it with GAC, why wouldn’t they do the same with DAS (though they would obviously not have the same instant access as with GAC)?
GAC is in no way comparable to DAS. I don't know why it is even being brought up since it has been gone for well over a decade.

Fido Chuckwagon

I have a simple question for Disney now again i wasnt complaining but why did they give away 2 free pre books?!? Absolutely NO need on an already strained system and why didnt they remove them when this was clearly noticeable. We are gonna compare DAS (old version) to DAS new version which is literally completely different animals. No more pre books. Party size has been reduced. You can no longer book another ride immediately. Am i missing anything else? ALL of these even if they gave away the same amount of DAS access would have helped things out. So imo any result we see would not be a direct comparison to the old system
To incentivize people to do the online registration in advance instead of tying up guest services in the parks. This has been confirmed by insiders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom