New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

It may not be an advantage in terms of riding the same ride but people using DAS don't have to wait in the actually line and are free to do something else during that time. That gives them the option, if capable, to experience exponentially more of the parks than those without it.

People need to stop trying to pretend DAS isn't a MASSIVE advantage over everyone else in the park except for the guided tours.

Also, before someone brings it up, we are all aware that not everyone uses it that way and of course not everyone, due to the nature of some disabilities, could even use it that way if they wanted. That isn't the point. It is being overused and abused so Disney is trying to fix it. I am sure they will need to tweak things, but I would be willing to bet that DAS as it was is never coming back.
No one is arguing that DAS was handed out like candy. My issue with many of the posts is the lumping in of everyone, as if everyone was lying to get it. Yes, the fakers had a huge advantage. But I don't agree that those with legitimate medical conditions had any advantage since most still ended up doing less than the average park quest.

ConfettiCupcake

I see some already answered it, but I thought it was the answer to the “my autistic child fixates on one ride and needs to ride it back to back” issue. I don’t know how the prebooks work, but could they be used for the same ride?

I swear this was the reason, but maybe I’m misremembering.

I wonder if you’re thinking about the transition period between GAC and DAS where I believe they did give some of the squeakiest wheels ride entry passes for that purpose. Or maybe it was just one of the demands of the lawsuit and I’m making this even more confusing lol.

Splash4eva

To incentivize people to do the online registration in advance instead of tying up guest services in the parks. This has been confirmed by insiders.
But at what point do you realize this is again crippling the system and simply say like they did now… all DAS must be pre booked with NO incentive. Policies change alllll the time. This was one that needed to change as well.

natatomic

I wonder if you’re thinking about the transition period between GAC and DAS where I believe they did give some of the squeakiest wheels ride entry passes for that purpose. Or maybe it was just one of the demands of the lawsuit and I’m making this even more confusing lol.

Probably, yes. I had just left attractions when the switch happened, so I heard about it, but how it’s has evolved/changed since isn’t something I’m intimately familiar with. Good to know I’m not crazy though, because I could have sworn it was a thing, at least at first!

Fido Chuckwagon

My point is this tho. How clueless could they have been to not realize this was hurting the system and why did they not get rid of them asap… its like they intentionally did this to implode the system
I don’t think the prebooks were as big an impact as you do. Yes, they added stress to the system, but they are not the reason alone that the system failed. Or, to put it another way, eliminating prebooks alone wouldn’t solve the poweruse issue, and the overuse issue.

MickeyLuv'r

The stories of non DAS users re riding things multiple times almost always include the use of LL (or FP, which allowed for immediate looping in some cases), strategic touring (like rope drop looping), or special events. It’s rarely people just re-entering the standby over and over during the heaviest parts of the day.

I don’t think Disney should be limiting it at all when it comes to rerides (and I imagine if it was posing a major problem they would have already done something about it) but it’s just not comparable scenarios.
I agree, except that I think DAS users understand basic park touring strategy at least as well as everyone else.

Fido Chuckwagon

But at what point do you realize this is again crippling the system and simply say like they did now… all DAS must be pre booked with NO incentive. Policies change alllll the time. This was one that needed to change as well.
I would bet their analytics showed that this wasn’t what was crippling the system. They could control how many prebooks were given out. It was a known. It certainly had an impact on a limited resource, yes, but not as big an impact as the overall DAS overuse.

Dranth

No one is arguing that DAS was handed out like candy. My issue with many of the posts is the lumping in of everyone, as if everyone was lying to get it. Yes, the fakers had a huge advantage. But I don't agree that those with legitimate medical conditions had any advantage since most still ended up doing less than the average park quest.
It's not just the fakers though. There are plenty of people with disabilities that didn't need that level of accommodation, hence the overuse component of the problem.

Unfortunately, unless Disney is allowed to require proof of disability and then tie an accommodation directly to that persons specific needs then the system will be flawed. The best they can do is make it less attractive to abusers and eliminate overuse through offering other accommodations.

MickeyLuv'r

I have a simple question for Disney now again i wasnt complaining but why did they give away 2 free pre books?!? Absolutely NO need on an already strained system and why didnt they remove them when this was clearly noticeable. We are gonna compare DAS (old version) to DAS new version which is literally completely different animals. No more pre books. Party size has been reduced. You can no longer book another ride immediately. Am i missing anything else? ALL of these even if they gave away the same amount of DAS access would have helped things out. So imo any result we see would not be a direct comparison to the old system
I wonder about those as well. If DAS was already over-used, then why make the problem worse?

jaklgreen

It's not just the fakers though. There are plenty of people with disabilities that didn't need that level of accommodation, hence the overuse component of the problem.

Unfortunately, unless Disney is allowed to require proof of disability and then tie an accommodation directly to that persons specific needs then the system will be flawed. The best they can do is make it less attractive to abusers and eliminate overuse through offering other accommodations.
That may be true, but I don't think that separating people from their families is the way to go either. For example with my issues, I would have to leave the average line at least twice. So using the returning to the queue feature, I would be separated from my family in every line. Just think about that if it were you and your family. Do you actually think that is reasonable, for a family to go on a vacation and be separated from each other a good chunk of time? Putting the stress on the healthy adult to have to spend that time in line with the kids themselves. And the guilt of the disabled adult because they are the ones "doing" this to their family.
Find a way to not separate families and I would be all for it.

Chip Chipperson

It is not an advantage when everyone is free to re-ride whatever they want. DAS holders don't get on rides faster than anyone else, they still wait the posted standby wait time for that ride. Is there still a confusion about that?
The advantage comes from Disney allowing DAS users to ride something else while waiting. That effectively makes DAS an unlimited G+ with better return times for those who choose to ride something else while waiting for their return time. It is also what makes it ripe for abuse by skidmarks with no sense of right and wrong who are happy to lie about a false issue in order to get DAS. It increases Standby times at the other (typically non-geadliner) attractions since there are then groups of people in line for the 2nd ride who otherwise wouldn't be. I understand why Disney hasn't chosen to address that issue (yet) - enforcing it would require additional expenses for both tapstiles in the Standby entrance and additional staff to monitor those tapstiles. I'm sure they're hoping that these other changes will be enough to fix the issue. However, just because it isn't being addressed now doesn't mean it doesn't happen and doesn't cause problems. And pointing it out doesn't mean that anyone thinks every single DAS user does it (or even can do it, logistically).

Dranth

That may be true, but I don't think that separating people from their families is the way to go either. For example with my issues, I would have to leave the average line at least twice. So using the returning to the queue feature, I would be separated from my family in every line. Just think about that if it were you and your family. Do you actually think that is reasonable, for a family to go on a vacation and be separated from each other a good chunk of time? Putting the stress on the healthy adult to have to spend that time in line with the kids themselves. And the guilt of the disabled adult because they are the ones "doing" this to their family.
I get it is a personal thing but we separate all the time for various reasons in the park so yes, I do think it is reasonable. Did it when we went to DL when I was a child and we do it now as adults. It isn't a huge deal, and I am frankly puzzled by the people who think it is. In fact, I would say it was the common way to handle things for most of the park’s history.

Anyone who is disabled to the point that they require the full family available to them at all times to functionally be able to visit the parks should already be on DAS. Beyond that we are talking about personal preferences, not needs, so Disney has no need or requirement to accommodate people in that way.

Fido Chuckwagon

The ADA only entitles you to the same access to Disney’s services as everyone else. It does not require that this access is given in a way that allows your family to skip a line with you if they are otherwise able to wait in that line. If you want to avoid that, then you are looking for a luxury upcharge like genie+, which you can purchase just like everyone else.

Families using rider switch because someone is too short for a ride are separated all the time at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom