New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

ConfettiCupcake

But that seems to be punishing single parents. If there were another adult in that group that they could meet back up with, then they wouldn't lose all of that time that they waited. So Disney is going for not only being unfriendly to those with disabilities, but also single parents. This really is a shame, especially since Disney used to pride itself on being great for everyone.

If I remember correctly that 7DMT poster was exiting for a medical issue and wouldn’t be returning ASAP. I imagine Disney handles it different if it’s a quick bathroom break with a single adult in the group, this is a scenario that’s existed since I’d guess day 1 with the nature of children.

Disney is never going to be able to handle every single situation that can crop up with every possible group configuration seamlessly, while balancing those situations with regular park operations. Some groups and some situations are inherently going to have a harder time logistically with a theme park. A single adult especially with multiple children has always had some hurdles that a two adult group would not (height limitations and ride seating are two that come to mind immediately).

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t agree that Disney should put any limitations on DAS attraction repeats except for what they already do when the actual attraction has some limitation (the rides with VQ), but I think not recognizing that a 60 minute standby line physically stood in 3 times is a much bigger deterrent than a 60 minute virtual line waited in 3 times is why this discussion keeps popping up about repeats.
The repeats may not be as much of an issue since Disney seems to be significantly limiting DAS and using AQR and child swap as accommodations. That would leave the repeats to the autistic users who appear to be more fixated on certain rides.

ConfettiCupcake

The repeats may not be as much of an issue since Disney seems to be significantly limiting DAS and using AQR and child swap as accommodations. That would leave the repeats to the autistic users who appear to be more fixated on certain rides.

Yeah I think if they were a major issue we would have seen Disney do something about it. I think you can pretty easily determine where the issues were lying regarding DAS when you look at what changes Disney made. They’re the ones with the data, after all.

Angel Ariel

Yeah I think if they were a major issue we would have seen Disney do something about it. I think you can pretty easily determine where the issues were lying regarding DAS when you look at what changes Disney made. They’re the ones with the data, after all.
This logic would also apply to the ability for those who do continue to qualify for DAS to be able to do another attraction while waiting for their return time. If Disney's data showed this was the problem some here make it out to be, I would also think they would have addressed that. They continue, instead, to explicitly state this is something DAS families can do.

RamblinWreck

Why not? What difference does it make if someone uses DAS to go on Pirates more than once. Everyone else has that option. So only disabled people can't enjoy the rides that they love? That doesn't make any sense.
It makes lots of sense for rides that get long lines, which are the ones DAS affects the most.

You want to ride Rise of the Resistance 4 times? Then get a multi-day ticket because nobody else in the parks can pull that off without having a miserable day. But you can have a great one and do it easily.

NotTheOne

You are not talking about LL access, you are talking about being able to ride something more than once. Why shouldn't they be able to use DAS for a certain ride more than once? If your issue is with DAS itself, than just say that. What is disingenuous is saying that you think that those with Disabilities should have LESS access to rides than the typical guest does instead of just coming right out and saying that you don't like how DAS works. Again, some are so caught up in believing that every single DAS user is lying and faking that you all are forgetting that most have genuine medical issues.
I actually wouldn't say most people who have been getting the DAS actually need the DAS in order to access the attractions. Using it because "something might happen so I need the DAS" isn't really a need.

RamblinWreck

Maybe.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. But they are the ones with the data, and that can mean many things.

Maybe they saw an opportunity to create an easy scapegoat for something they already wanted to do. Maybe the data told them some changes they made were causing problems, and this was a way to mitigate it. We don’t know.

ConfettiCupcake

This logic would also apply to the ability for those who do continue to qualify for DAS to be able to do another attraction while waiting for their return time. If Disney's data showed this was the problem some here make it out to be, I would also think they would have addressed that. They continue, instead, to explicitly state this is something DAS families can do.

I agree.

I’d say the ability to do so makes DAS appealing when you don’t really need it all the time for its intended purpose and that’s a problem Disney has addressed (the people who don’t need it all the time), but I don’t think Disney cares to bother preventing people who legitimately need DAS and qualify from doing whatever else they want to with their virtual queue time. And they definitely are never going to do anything that disincentivizes spending, like buying Genie+ or eating/shopping.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It makes lots of sense for rides that get long lines, which are the ones DAS affects the most.

You want to ride Rise of the Resistance 4 times? Then get a multi-day ticket because nobody else in the parks can pull that off without having a miserable day. But you can have a great one and do it easily.

That's possible, RotR , Taphouse repeat.

DoubleSwitchback

I’d say the ability to do so makes DAS appealing when you don’t really need it all the time for its intended purpose and that’s a problem Disney has addressed (the people who don’t need it all the time), but I don’t think Disney cares to bother preventing people who legitimately need DAS and qualify from doing whatever else they want to with their virtual queue time.
Agree. The only ways forward were: a) still very desirable relative to SB but very strict; or b) not an advantage but given to anyone who asks (like using a ramp outside a building). Disney seems to have chosen the former.

ditzee

Your whole family asked for return times? But they weren’t offered to everyone in line?
I don't know if others were given return times but I do know that others were talking about leaving the line. In the past, everyone was given return times when a ride broke down. After we were denied, we left.

Angel Ariel

the bolded is highly assumptive, especially the "and do it easily" for DAS families qualifying under the new rules. I am not going into specifics as I'm not giving roadmaps, but I can say if that was ever something DD wanted to do, for Rise specifically, it would be a miserable park day for the rest of us due to the other disability related limitations such a goal would exacerbate. It certainly wouldn't be easy by any stretch.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't know if others were given return times but I do know that others were talking about leaving the line. In the past, everyone was given return times when a ride broke down. After we were denied, we left.
I’m not sure how that implicates DAS though.

KrzyKtty

But that seems to be punishing single parents. If there were another adult in that group that they could meet back up with, then they wouldn't lose all of that time that they waited. So Disney is going for not only being unfriendly to those with disabilities, but also single parents. This really is a shame, especially since Disney used to pride itself on being great for everyone.
How would they ever know how long someone waited in line though?

Angel Ariel

Given how frequently Rise breaks down, and for long periods of time, can't we all just agree that anyone trying to ride it 4x in a day would be miserable?

We never got on it at all during our 3 DL days this year. We kept getting a DAS time for it, but it would be broken down by the time we got back there. So then we'd cancel and leave GE and rebook something else, try rise again later, it'd break down again before we got there. Happened every day we were in the park. It was maddening, and we lost a lot of touring time for the park as a whole because of how long it takes to get back there in DL.

natatomic

When I was a CM (multiple e-ticket attractions under my belt), we never gave out fast passes to the ENTIRE queue during a breakdown. There was always a midway point in the line at which we cut it off - the back portion (the ones who waited the least) would just turn around and exit the queue the way in which they came and receive nothing. The others would continue forward and exit in/near the station, but receive a FP for later. It was very cut and dry. So you must have been in the group closer to the station.

Regardless, if you were in Soarin…that ride rarely ever breaks down TOTALLY. They have three theaters. For all three to break at once is unheard of, and even if it happened, they would have dumped the queue, not left everyone to wait in one spot indefinitely for them to fix the entire ride. Are you sure it wasn’t just that one theater broke down which caused the line to back up, because that’s the more likely scenario.

Now, regardless - maybe there’s a bit of a learning curve here in this situation for everyone involved. Guests have probably now learned about the RTQs and ADQs and in the event of a much slower line than anticipated due to reduced ride capacity they think, “oh, well I was fine when I thought the line was only X minutes, but if it’s going to be Y or more minutes, I’m gonna go ask for one of those new return fast passes (probably what the average guest is calling it in their heads).” It’s all still very new and vague and guest and cast alike are still learning how to deal with these requests both from people who need them during normal operations as well as people who are asking for them when the wait is suddenly longer due to technical issues. I’m guessing you weren’t the first person to come up and ask a RTQ/ADQ, and I doubt everyone who asked even technically qualified. I’m imagining CMs at their wits’ end with tons more guests asking for random access to the LL, which already happened with a mild amount of frequency even in the old days of legacy FP.

And as far as I can tell, in your case you are supposed to leave the line because you have pain, not the entire family. Then you would have been given an AQR to meet up with your family at the merge point. The RTQs are not supposed to be given out to just anyone who asks, and I think the CMs are probably inundated with entire families leaving the lines expecting to get LL access granted, which is where their frustration is stemming from. Unless you are a solo traveler or a single adult with a young child(ren) or with someone who cannot be left alone, pretty much everyone is expected to stay in line while the person with specific needs exits and gets a AQR pass to meet up at merge later.

(I’m sure I will be corrected if I have any of that wrong. But as I said, we’re all still learning the ins and outs of this)

Fido Chuckwagon

Think I posted about my experience. I asked for a return time because Soarin' was broken down. Quite a long line had built up. After 20 -25 minutes or so, I left the line with my family because of pain. I went to the CM where the entrance is and asked for a return time. He threw up his hands and told me, "Ask her". She would not give me a return time and suggested rider switch. How on Earth she thought rider switch would help is beyond me because SOARIN wasn't working. She was rude on top of it. And before anyone asks, yes I was polite.
Just saying do not count on return times, especially if you run into the same type of CM we did.
You indicated in your earlier post about this that you were not using DAS, you were using Genie+, and you did not tell the CM that you had DAS. You specifically made it a point of pointing that out in your post. So which is it? You went to the CM and asked for an accommodation because of pain, or you went to them and asked for a return time because your genie+ wait was too long because the ride broke down? It’s important to be precise here since it’s going to color what other people can expect.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom