New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

lazyboy97o

People have sued for the right to ride the same attraction over and over.

To the degree it actually occurs we can't say, but it is not pure speculation.

Theme parks are designed to spread crowds and experiences out. Most people won't ride something like Rise more than once or twice because of the time cost. When a good chunk of the park population can queue for it 5 times a day, without that investment of actually standing in line, it can break the theme park system.

Reasonable limits of 1-2 rides via DAS on those types of headliners would not be out of line in my opinion, and consistent with the typical theme park experience.
And there are people who have been written up in little fluff stories about how many times they’ve ridden a particular ride. Most people don’t do re-rides because they aren’t there to just do one thing but a variety of things.

Fido Chuckwagon

As I said earlier - RTQ is an actual thing. It's typically used when a wheelchair user cant access a queue (as I said, not as much of an issue at WDW, but a frequent issue at DLR, especially Fantasyland rides). It's never been posted on Disney sites, but it is done. Like DAS, it gives a return time based on the standby line. It's completely separate from the DAS system (one can hold both a DAS and a RTQ time, whereas the system has never allowed you to hold 2 DAS simultaneously). It's typically redeemed at the exit of a ride rather than the entrance.

Whether or how RTQ will be used for other disability needs is clearly a point of confusion at the moment, but it isn't a made up thing that doesn't exist.
Yes, I believe it’s a thing that exists. However people are getting mad at Disney now based, as near as I can tell, over an assurance that it would be made available as a DAS alternative that exists only in this thread, and maybe on some third-hand anecdotal reports.

DoubleSwitchback

Well if Disney “assures” me that i will taken care of in the event of being denied access to DAS and when i try and get that access at an attraction and a CM has no clue what im talking about or is constantly denying me.
On FB, a CM just said they suspect that other CMs are saying they aren't trained because it's easier than admitting that they have discretion but are denying you. Definitely a problem, but a different one from Disney just not training people. There needs to be some sort of QA.

Angel Ariel

Yes, I believe it’s a thing that exists. However people are getting mad at Disney now based, as near as I can tell, over an assurance that it would be made available as a DAS alternative that exists only in this thread, and maybe on some third-hand anecdotal reports.
I understand that there is now confusion about it, but it's not just in this thread. It is in anecdotal reports in multiple places. I've already addressed that piece earlier.

Splash4eva

On FB, a CM just said they suspect that other CMs are saying they aren't trained because it's easier than admitting that they have discretion but are denying you. Definitely a problem, but a different one from Disney just not training people. There needs to be some sort of QA.
Does it really matter tho? Ultimately Disney is responsible for their CM’s and if they are not following the procedures you can blame the CM all you want and yes definitely on them but also blame Disney for putting them in this position in the 1st place… pointing fingers as to who is to blame is not going to appease a guest needing assistance

DoubleSwitchback

Does it really matter tho? Ultimately Disney is responsible for their CM’s and if they are not following the procedures you can blame the CM all you want and yes definitely on them but also blame Disney for putting them in this position in the 1st place… pointing fingers as to who is to blame is not going to appease a guest needing assistance
I agree that the guest doesn't care. I just find it fascinating (if true). No idea how Disney makes CM assignments, but after these DAS changes they may have to prioritize putting people with a backbone at rides.

Disstevefan1

Why not? What difference does it make if someone uses DAS to go on Pirates more than once. Everyone else has that option. So only disabled people can't enjoy the rides that they love? That doesn't make any sense.
You are right, if I had DAS I would try to use it to get maximum advantage and ride my favorite attraction three times in one day.

Purduevian

So if I understand correctly,

DAS- much harder to get now, but functionally the same product as before (make digital return times to enter the LL one at a time). Who gets it and why is still not really known, but that is probably for the best.

AQR, Attraction Queue Re-entry. Everyone stands in standby and if someone needs to leave, they are able to meet up with their party at the LL merge. I think this is available to everyone?

Rider Switch. Everyone that wants to ride the attraction except 1 or 2 people rides the ride like normal, once the large group finishes the ride, 1 or 2 people are able to enter the LL to ride the same attraction. This is available to everyone.

RTQ, Return to Queue. Basically a 1 time use DAS return time. A guest will explain why AQR or Rider switch does not work for their particular situation and can be grated a return time based on the standby wait to enter the LL. RTQ is only offered if AQR or Rider Switch cannot work for the individual (solo guest, or there are no "spare" able bodied adults to do AQR or Rider Switch with). This is very rare as it needs specific individual conditions and specific party orientations.

If your group has "spare" adults that are not disabled or caregivers, I don't think your group will ever get RTQ.

Finally, there is 1 more way to get a "free" LL.

If the queue is dumped after you've waited a certain amount of time on a ride, you will most likely be given basically an RTQ to return when the ride comes back up. This is independent of any disability though and should be given to all guests.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

Forgive me, as I didn't read your previous post, but why would you expect a return time for a ride being broken down? I'm obviously missing something.
Because everyone gets return passes when a ride goes down and they have been in the queue for a while?

Sometimes CM hand them out at the front of the line, but other times they only give them to people who exit the rear of the queue.

Chi84

Premium Member
Because everyone gets return passes when a ride goes down and they have been in the queue for a while?

Sometimes CM hand them out at the front of the line, but other times they only give them to people who exit the rear of the queue.
That’s not the situation he was asking about. This was a situation where the CM did not give out return passes to anyone else.

MickeyLuv'r

Your whole family asked for return times? But they weren’t offered to everyone in line?
They are often offered to everyone, but you sometimes have to leave the queue to know they are being given out.

It happened to me at GoG. It was my last half day at WDW, and GoG would have been my last ride, except it went down. I waited about 30minutes, but then I was out of time.

As I excited the queue, I was given a return pass, but it was useless to me. It was a little frustrating though, because there was no announcement made about how long the ride would be down or that return passes were being given out.

Chi84

Premium Member
They are often offered to everyone, but you sometimes have to leave the queue to know they are being given out.

It happened to me at GoG. It was my last half day at WDW, and GoG would have been my last ride, except it went down. I waited about 30minutes, but then I was out of time.

As I excited the queue, I was given a return pass, but it was useless to me. It was a little frustrating though, because there was no announcement made about how long the ride would be down or that return passes were being given out.
That’s true, but not what happened in the post referred to here.

JMcMahonEsq

Of course it matters. If there is a policy breakdown, and the policy itself is not working, then Disney is responsible and knowing that is the fault point would be important because the whole policy would need to be reviewed/changed.

If the CM's don't know what procedures they are supposed to be following (and this is a very new program so it could be possible they just don't get it yet) then its important to know that is the failure point, and arguably this too would be Disney problem, but the solution here might not be scrapping the whole system. It might be instead more/different training programs on the new policy are required in order to see it is being implemented properly.

But if the problem isn't a CM lack of awareness of the policy, but they are choosing to exercise their discretion but don't want to "own" their decision or are trying to avoid the confrontation with the guest, then that really isn't a policy problem, nor is it a Disney training problem. Its a CM who knows what his/her job is, but doesn't want to deal with doing their job. That's an entirely different problem and more of an individual employee one, not Disney as a whole.

In any case the "finger pointing" as you call it is vitally important in order to identify where the problem may be, and how to implement a solution.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

That’s true, but not what happened in the post referred to here.
More or less, it is. Natatomic gave a more detailed explanation as pertains to Soarin' specifically, because it is a one of few rides where 1/3 or 2/3 can go down, but the remaining 1/3 can still continue to operate.

Chip Chipperson

More or less, it is. Natatomic gave a more detailed explanation as pertains to Soarin' specifically, because it is a one of few rides where 1/3 or 2/3 can go down, but the remaining 1/3 can still continue to operate.
Right, so the rude was still operational. The queue was just slowed down because one if the theaters went down. If all 3 theaters went down at once, it would have been reported by multiple WDW bloggers. In this case, the line slowed and probably stopped for longer periods of time than usual, but the ride was functioning.

Chi84

Premium Member

I asked for a return time because Soarin' was broken down. Quite a long line had built up. After 20 -25 minutes or so, I left the line with my family because of pain. I went to the CM where the entrance is and asked for a return time. He threw up his hands and told me, "Ask her". She would not give me a return time and suggested rider switch. How on Earth she thought rider switch would help is beyond me because SOARIN wasn't working.
This isn’t a situation where return passes were given out on request or one would have been given.

RamblinWreck

Your post is yet another example of people assuming that everyone is a faker. Many that have used DAS use that time while waiting for rides to handle their medical issues. You all seem to be assuming that every DAS user is just like the typical park goer. That they get there at rope drop, run from ride to ride, plus have this "bonus" time while waiting for rides to go have a "great day" and close down the park. The reality is for many that they DON'T get there at rope drop because they either can't handle the crowd or the wait and they spend that time while waiting for their return time taking care of needs, and then leave well before the fireworks.
Everyone needs to stop lumping all DAS users under the category of those who were lying and faking a disability.
I’m not making that assumption at all.

I’m pointing out that the rides that get the longest lines are the most affected by DAS.

And that nobody, nobody, who is a standby rider would ever ride those rides several times in a day. And if they did, their day would be absolutely miserable.

There’s absolutely no reason why a DAS user needs to ability to ride any headliner more than twice in a day by using DAS. More than once, really.

Purduevian

This isn’t a situation where return passes were given out on request or one would have been given.
It seems like the "correct" accommodation for their situation was AQR. They were no longer able to wait in a line they had already gotten in, however the rest of their party would still be able to wait there.

If they all chose to get out of line, no accommodation is required. (I'm not saying OP chose to get out of line, they needed to, but the rest of their party chose to get out of line with them)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom