New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Splash4eva

My goodness DAS has warped users perceptions of what the non-disabled can do at WDW. You seriously think anyone with young children is waiting in a 1-2 hour line multiple times in a day?
Just said the same thing. Only way people riding that many times is by rope drop and staying late mixing in 1 real line. To me that is probably the biggest advantage with DAS. I think ive ridden Rise 3 times in a day at one point and have probably gotten plenty others the same way. Its really easy to. Breakfast at H&V at park open. Get a DAS for Rise. Watch Frozen show do the same. Dinner at H&V repeat. This is definitely the perk. How do you prevent this if you are Disney. You can sub Rise for any ride if you want. But those are 3 examples of basically having the “advantage” over any other guest.

Splash4eva

Attraction CMs are reportedly pushing back on in-person requests for return times either by claiming they know of no such policy or questioning the guest to verify the veracity of their request. Sounds like it's a bit of a rough start to this new era of DAS.
So if this is true. Disney assuring guests with valid concerns were completed lied to in the press release on the website and during calls that they were denied… way to go Disney!!!

Splash4eva

You are not talking about LL access, you are talking about being able to ride something more than once. Why shouldn't they be able to use DAS for a certain ride more than once? If your issue is with DAS itself, than just say that. What is disingenuous is saying that you think that those with Disabilities should have LESS access to rides than the typical guest does instead of just coming right out and saying that you don't like how DAS works. Again, some are so caught up in believing that every single DAS user is lying and faking that you all are forgetting that most have genuine medical issues.
As a DAS user myself i would be more than willing to sacrifice re rides or say only allowed 1 re ride at a say 6-8 hour time Gap to ensure not losing access to DAS that so many needed. Lets face it. DAS does have its “perks/advantages” there is no denying that so if DAS users had to give something back in return so be it. Problem is and im not speaking all but most DAS want everything without giving anything back. Like when it went from GaC to DAS everyone was up in arms. My theory was this. Im still able to ride everything w/o having to deal with a wait im unable to do. Great im still accommodated. Now because of certain things people are losing that access.

Splash4eva

What was the lie on the press release/website?
We are hearing stories that CM are not even aware of this new policy and hearing stories of majority of people getting denied RTQ times. The way i saw it was anyone who was denied DAS would be granted reasonable access to a return time if needed and i doesnt seem to be the case…

Chi84

Premium Member
We are hearing stories that CM are not even aware of this new policy and hearing stories of majority of people getting denied RTQ times. The way i saw it was anyone who was denied DAS would be granted reasonable access to a return time if needed and i doesnt seem to be the case…
But you said there was a lie in the press release or on the website. That’s what I’m trying to find; any promise or suggestion of something people are calling RTQ.

I don’t doubt there’s confusion when it comes to conversations.

Fido Chuckwagon

But you said there was a lie in the press release or on the website. That’s what I’m trying to find; any promise or suggestion of something people are calling RTQ.

As near as I can tell, RTQ is a thing that was mentioned in this thread, and maybe some third hand accounts of people who were denied DAS. it’s not in any official Disney literature nor was it in any press release. All Disney promised was that people would be accommodated. And they are! AQR and rider switch is a reasonable accommodation.

Splash4eva

Well if Disney “assures” me that i will taken care of in the event of being denied access to DAS and when i try and get that access at an attraction and a CM has no clue what im talking about or is constantly denying me. Yes to me that is a lie by Disney. Feel free to use whatever word you like in replacement of the word lie…

Fido Chuckwagon

Well if Disney “assures” me that i will taken care of in the event of being denied access to DAS and when i try and get that access at an attraction and a CM has no clue what im talking about or is constantly denying me. Yes to me that is a lie by Disney. Feel free to use whatever word you like in replacement of the word lie…
Did you have a DAS interview where Disney gave you this assurance?

Chi84

Premium Member
So your interpretation of Disney’s statement that disability accommodations would be offered at the attractions is that people would be given RTQ?

That seems to be adding words to the website that aren’t there. It just mentions AQR and rider switch, doesn’t it?

DisneyHead123

I don’t agree with calling it a lie, but I think it is irresponsible (at best) to refuse to outline what the accommodations are very clearly, complete with a print reference so that there is no confusion. Whether the accommodations are generous or quite limited, I hope we can all agree that disabled guests shouldn’t be left literally guessing what the accommodations are, and trying to discuss them with park employees who apparently are just hearing about all this for the first time. Clarity is key.

Angel Ariel

As near as I can tell, RTQ is a thing that was mentioned in this thread, and maybe some third hand accounts of people who were denied DAS. it’s not in any official Disney literature nor was it in any press release. All Disney promised was that people would be accommodated. And they are! AQR and rider switch is a reasonable accommodation.
As I said earlier - RTQ is an actual thing. It's typically used when a wheelchair user cant access a queue (as I said, not as much of an issue at WDW, but a frequent issue at DLR, especially Fantasyland rides). It's never been posted on Disney sites, but it is done. Like DAS, it gives a return time based on the standby line. It's completely separate from the DAS system (one can hold both a DAS and a RTQ time, whereas the system has never allowed you to hold 2 DAS simultaneously). It's typically redeemed at the exit of a ride rather than the entrance.

Whether or how RTQ will be used for other disability needs is clearly a point of confusion at the moment, but it isn't a made up thing that doesn't exist.

jaklgreen

It makes lots of sense for rides that get long lines, which are the ones DAS affects the most.

You want to ride Rise of the Resistance 4 times? Then get a multi-day ticket because nobody else in the parks can pull that off without having a miserable day. But you can have a great one and do it easily.
Your post is yet another example of people assuming that everyone is a faker. Many that have used DAS use that time while waiting for rides to handle their medical issues. You all seem to be assuming that every DAS user is just like the typical park goer. That they get there at rope drop, run from ride to ride, plus have this "bonus" time while waiting for rides to go have a "great day" and close down the park. The reality is for many that they DON'T get there at rope drop because they either can't handle the crowd or the wait and they spend that time while waiting for their return time taking care of needs, and then leave well before the fireworks.
Everyone needs to stop lumping all DAS users under the category of those who were lying and faking a disability.

jaklgreen

As a DAS user myself i would be more than willing to sacrifice re rides or say only allowed 1 re ride at a say 6-8 hour time Gap to ensure not losing access to DAS that so many needed. Lets face it. DAS does have its “perks/advantages” there is no denying that so if DAS users had to give something back in return so be it. Problem is and im not speaking all but most DAS want everything without giving anything back. Like when it went from GaC to DAS everyone was up in arms. My theory was this. Im still able to ride everything w/o having to deal with a wait im unable to do. Great im still accommodated. Now because of certain things people are losing that access.
But why is everyone all of a sudden assuming that DAS holders are riding the "E" tickets over and over again? All of these are just made up speculations in people's minds. The years before I had my medical condition and just waited in line like everyone else, we were able to ride something like Pirates 2-3 times per day if we wanted. Not everyone wants to or can go on every ride. Many have their favorites that they ride more than once a day.
And again, there is no way that Disney would be able to tell those with DAS that they have to limit themselves to only going on a ride once per day because everyone else is more than welcome to re-ride whatever they want.

Chi84

Premium Member
Your post is yet another example of people assuming that everyone is a faker. Many that have used DAS use that time while waiting for rides to handle their medical issues. You all seem to be assuming that every DAS user is just like the typical park goer. That they get there at rope drop, run from ride to ride, plus have this "bonus" time while waiting for rides to go have a "great day" and close down the park. The reality is for many that they DON'T get there at rope drop because they either can't handle the crowd or the wait and they spend that time while waiting for their return time taking care of needs, and then leave well before the fireworks.
Everyone needs to stop lumping all DAS users under the category of those who were lying and faking a disability.
I don’t think people are doing that. But there is a wide range of disabilities so assumptions can’t be made either way about how much can be accomplished.

Splash4eva

But why is everyone all of a sudden assuming that DAS holders are riding the "E" tickets over and over again? All of these are just made up speculations in people's minds. The years before I had my medical condition and just waited in line like everyone else, we were able to ride something like Pirates 2-3 times per day if we wanted. Not everyone wants to or can go on every ride. Many have their favorites that they ride more than once a day.
And again, there is no way that Disney would be able to tell those with DAS that they have to limit themselves to only going on a ride once per day because everyone else is more than welcome to re-ride whatever they want.
Again its a slippery slope & i get it but there needed to be give & take imo.

natatomic

I can only speak to my experience as a CM from the GAC days - but I can tell you it happened because I saw it first hand. Everest, Splash, Star Tours (when it first reopened), Kali - the same families would come through over and over and over again flashing that red card without blinking an eye. Was every GAC holder a power user? No. But was every a power rerider holding a GAC? Yes, unless the attraction happened to not have a wait.

I know it’s different with DAS, in that you can’t have instant access to the to the lightning lane now. But it would be naive to assume those former GAC power users wouldn’t still use the DAS to reride their favorites as many times as they could.

Wendy Pleakley

People have sued for the right to ride the same attraction over and over.

To the degree it actually occurs we can't say, but it is not pure speculation.

Theme parks are designed to spread crowds and experiences out. Most people won't ride something like Rise more than once or twice because of the time cost. When a good chunk of the park population can queue for it 5 times a day, without that investment of actually standing in line, it can break the theme park system.

Reasonable limits of 1-2 rides via DAS on those types of headliners would not be out of line in my opinion, and consistent with the typical theme park experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom