New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Jrb1979

Well “another option” doesn’t mean they don’t have a complaint.

One of the major complaints right now is with Airlines who don’t have accessible seating areas even though they physically could. Saying “well you have another option, your family can carry you on your flight and your wheelchair will be potentially damaged by baggage handlers” - it’s the option that is the complaint.

Having to separate from your group is indeed a valid complaint, both at security entrances and while waiting in line for attractions.
Not really as even people without disabilities have to seperate while waiting in line or at security entrances. I have to do it all the time with my wife as she has to pull the wagon in for our 4 year old.

IMO many are making it a bigger deal than it actually is. The majority of the time you will still ride the attraction together.

ConfettiCupcake

So true. Just thinking, systems like DAS should provide equal access, in this case DAS provides superior access to Genie+

Think about this. A person "qualifies for DAS" and simply gets FREE Genie+

Everyone get the exact same access.

And from a operations standpoint super easy to manage!

DAS isn’t equivalent to Genie+ though, it’s theoretically a standby alternative. Genie+ has some serious limits that would be a non starter for someone who cannot wait in most/all standby lines. It works as a supplemental program, but not an instead of.

I feel like all roads lead to exactly what Disney did, cutting the total number of users of the program and trimming most everybody who can be accommodated in some other fashion. Yes, DAS is extremely valuable as a service compared to standby and even Genie+ for someone who doesn’t truly need it at all times, but you can only devalue the service so much before you start really hurting those who truly do need it. I think Disney knows it so suggestions like “just give free G+ as the accommodation!” are nothing more than some talking points online to keep us entertained lol.

Chi84

Premium Member
Not really as even people without disabilities have to seperate while waiting in line or at security entrances. I have to do it all the time with my wife as she has to pull the wagon in for our 4 year old.

IMO many are making it a bigger deal than it actually is. The majority of the time you will still ride the attraction together.
I'm not sure we need to get into another discussion about brief separations. The ADA is concerned with accessibility, not people's personal predilections.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The DOJ has a decent archive of settlements and rulings, including against some national companies, available on the ADA website. I doubt most of those started by staff stumbling upon them.
Same can be said of FCC and FTC action against companies... It's still a drop in the ocean. I have friends at those agencies... they don't deal with one by one.. it's almost always a heat-map kind of situation and them deciding what kind of topic they want to pick the fight on.. then work down to an example they can make work.

Trying to motivate the agency to take an interest is not going to happen by getting one really awesome tight example reported... it's going to be because of motivation.

Disstevefan1

DAS isn’t equivalent to Genie+ though, it’s theoretically a standby alternative. Genie+ has some serious limits that would be a non starter for someone who cannot wait in most/all standby lines. It works as a supplemental program, but not an instead of.

I feel like all roads lead to exactly what Disney did, cutting the total number of users of the program and trimming most everybody who can be accommodated in some other fashion. Yes, DAS is extremely valuable as a service compared to standby and even Genie+ for someone who doesn’t truly need it at all times, but you can only devalue the service so much before you start really hurting those who truly do need it. I think Disney knows it so suggestions like “just give free G+ as the accommodation!” are nothing more than some talking points online to keep us entertained lol.
I guess I don't understand how DAS works. When a DAS person goes to their attraction at their return time, they go to the head of of the Lighting lane queue?

ConfettiCupcake

I guess I don't understand how DAS works. When a DAS person goes to their attraction at their return time, they go to the head of of the Lighting lane queue?

If that’s a genuine question no, but it isn’t tied to anything but the current wait time of the ride. Just like a guest isn’t restricted by anything but the actual wait time when it comes to riding via the standby line. Not subject to availability, doesn’t run out, can be used as many times as you’d like for the same attraction (except ones requiring a VQ), and is only as far away as the length of the standby.

Disstevefan1

If that’s a genuine question no, but it isn’t tied to anything but the current wait time of the ride. Just like a guest isn’t restricted by anything but the actual wait time when it comes to riding via the standby line. Not subject to availability, doesn’t run out, can be used as many times as you’d like for the same attraction (except ones requiring a VQ), and is only as far away as the length of the standby.
I guess I am not being clear in my question.
A DAS user is given a return time for attraction A.
When the DAS user returns to attraction A, how does the DAS user get on the attraction?

lazyboy97o

Same can be said of FCC and FTC action against companies... It's still a drop in the ocean. I have friends at those agencies... they don't deal with one by one.. it's almost always a heat-map kind of situation and them deciding what kind of topic they want to pick the fight on.. then work down to an example they can make work.

Trying to motivate the agency to take an interest is not going to happen by getting one really awesome tight example reported... it's going to be because of motivation.
The supposed problem is too many people complaining… but you’ve just said that’s exactly what could motivate action.

ConfettiCupcake

I guess I am not being clear in my question.
A DAS user is given a return time for attraction A.
When the DAS user returns to attraction A, how does the DAS user get on the attraction?

Exactly the same as someone who uses Genie+, they enter the LL. That is really the only similarity DAS has with Genie though, and my response was to your post suggesting that free Genie+ would be a better accommodation if you qualified for DAS.

Disstevefan1

You go the end of the LL.
Systems like DAS should provide equal access, in this case DAS provides superior access to Genie+

Disstevefan1

Exactly the same as someone who uses Genie+, they enter the LL. That is really the only similarity DAS has with Genie though, and my response was to your post suggesting that free Genie+ would be a better accommodation if you qualified for DAS.
Systems like DAS should provide equal access, in this case DAS provides superior access to Genie+

flynnibus

Premium Member
The supposed problem is too many people complaining… but you’ve just said that’s exactly what could motivate action.
Exactly - you won't find me haven't said reporting was a problem. I said 'how effective have you found it?' in addressing an individual concern. Other people (like yourself) were the ones saying it was a problem.

I just think it's a waste of time. If you really are personally impacted in a way that is significant and meaningful to you, consult a lawyer.

ConfettiCupcake

Well then if they simply give Genie+ for free to folks who qualify for DAS what's wrong with that???

It’s the only similarity.

Genie+ is subject to availability of return time, DAS can be used as long as there is sufficient time left in the day for the standby queue time to go by. Genie+ is once per attraction, DAS is unlimited subject to park hours of course. Genie+ has a return window, DAS can be used anytime after you’ve waited your allotted time.

DAS, simplified a little for the sake of this discussion, is the standby line, elsewhere. It’s subject to the same limitations as the line. If someone who cannot wait in the traditional standby line was forced to use Genie+ as it currently exists, they no longer have the same access to the attractions as the other guests do (the standby line).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom