New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

MagicHappens1971

CMs have reportedly been instructed to no longer offer Genie+ as a possible solution to guests who have been denied DAS and instead to perplexingly suggest using the free version of Genie to plan around projected low wait times.
I would imagine this is because Disney doesn’t want people being denied DAS to have the perception that the changes to the DAS policy be because they want to make more money by selling G+.

ConfettiCupcake

Legally that makes sense, in practicality though that’s kind of frustrating if a guest is truly seeking advice as to what they can do to navigate without DAS even after their accommodation (speak to a CM at the attraction) is explained. Genie+ could legitimately be helpful advice to some of these people, especially when explained by a CM as to how they could use it specific to their situation, it’s unfortunate that just offering that as advice is sticky legally. Hopefully those folks do some googling post call.

Fido Chuckwagon

If I understood the thread, a DAS user would use DAS to get a return time to an attraction, then the secret Disney surveillance would track the DAS user (I am sure they actually do have this tech) to catch them actually standing in the queue of another attraction using the time before the return time that got from DAS - cheater found!

Then my thought is that Disney does not actually have to do that, they can stage a DAS cheater getting caught, everyone will be videoing on their phones, word would get around that they caught and trespassed the cheater and this may future real cheaters think twice about using DAS to cheat,
Who do you envision is doing this type of DAS cheating? You think the people who lie to get DAS, and now have a system where they can skip all lines, they just need to do something else while waiting, will nonetheless still wait in some lines? I can't imagine that is a thing that is happening.
Well it’s a fine day, at every park that isn’t DHS (and Pandora) guess everyone had the brilliant idea to do DHS today after it closed early yesterday. 12:50pm

View attachment 789855
MK looks incredible right now:

1. 7dmt 45 minutes!
2. HM 25 minutes;
3. Pan 40 minutes;
4. Jungle Cruise 40 minutes;
5. Space Mountain 40 minutes;
6. BTMRR 5 minutes;
7. Meet Mickey 20 minutes;
8. Pirates 20 minutes;
9. Buzz 20 minutes;

Chi84

Premium Member
CMs have reportedly been instructed to no longer offer Genie+ as a possible solution to guests who have been denied DAS and instead to perplexingly suggest using the free version of Genie to plan around projected low wait times.
There’s no reason Disney can’t suggest Genie+ to someone who is denied DAS and isn’t satisfied with the offered alternate accommodation.

I suspect they’re tired of CMs getting yelled at by people who don’t know the difference between disability accommodations and a paid system available to all guests.

C33Mom

Did Genie get better some time after launch and I missed it? I gave up on it years ago and am just assuming this is terrible advice.

C33Mom

Who encouraged spamming the DOJ?
There have been a few people on various sights saying “file a complaint with the ADA”— which is functionally spamming the DOJ and asking them to enforce your (purported) civil rights to have DAS instead of waiting outside the line and meeting up with your party at/after the LL.

ETA: re @TrainsOfDisney — agree it wouldn’t be spamming/wasting resources if it was a legitimate, valid claim. Unclear if DAS denial could be valid in the first place, or if it is, how it wouldn’t be cured by providing AQR. “But not letting my able bodied friends and family skip the line with me” is not a valid ADA complaint.

lazyboy97o

There have been a few people on various sights saying “file a complaint with the ADA”— which is functionally spamming the DOJ and asking them to enforce your (purported) civil rights to have DAS instead of waiting outside the line and meeting up with your party at/after the LL.
Filing a complaint with the DOJ is one of the ways people have available to them to deal with a lack of accommodations. That is not in and of itself spamming, which would involved bulk submitting illegitimate complaints.

The claim was also that this happened in this thread, not on other sites.

Disstevefan1

Who do you envision is doing this type of DAS cheating? You think the people who lie to get DAS, and now have a system where they can skip all lines, they just need to do something else while waiting, will nonetheless still wait in some lines? I can't imagine that is a thing that is happening.

I actually don't see this happening, there was folks in the thread was wondering if Disney had the tech to catch these kinds of cheaters.

In my opinion, if a cheater was able to qualify for DAS, they would simply use DAS as is, its much better than Genie+ and its free!!

TrainsOfDisney

Unclear if DAS denial could be valid in the first place, or if it is, how it wouldn’t be cured by providing AQR.
The complaint is valid regardless. If I make an honest complaint about accessibility the complaint is valid and not spam regardless.

It’s up to the DOJ to look into the complaint and decide if it’s valid or not.

It’s certainly not up to anyone on a Disney message board to say it’s not valid and = spam.

C33Mom

Filing a complaint with the DOJ is one of the ways people have available to them to deal with a lack of accommodations. That is not in and of itself spamming, which would involved bulk submitting illegitimate complaints.

The claim was also that this happened in this thread, not on other sites.
Sure, but there has to be a lack of accommodations, not just a lack of the accommodations you prefer. There have been people on this thread encouraging others to “file a complaint with the ADA” over DAS denials with no legal basis.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

There was at least one poster multiple pages back who went further than this and posted the phone number for the DOJ Civil Rights Division Disability Rights Section encouraging others to call/email. I can't remember which poster it was anymore.

Edit: It looks like this may have been deleted by a moderator, (makes sense), so I won't comment on it further.

lazyboy97o

Sure, but there has to be a lack of accommodations, not just a lack of the accommodations you prefer. There have been people on this thread encouraging others to file a complaint with the ADA over DAS denials with no legal basis.
The whole reason the DOJ (there is no organization called the ADA) has an online form is so that they can look into situations and determine if there is any legal basis for action. You’re complaining that people are doing what the DOJ says to do if they feel proper accommodations were not provided.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom