New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

lazyboy97o

Most big E-tickets could find the space at WDW if desired. I'm surprised food/bev merch inside the waiting area wouldn't be enough to offset the cost of some things. Inside each "lounge" could have areas with minimal stimulation which would help a lot of people.
They really could not. A lounge space is at least triple the square footage per person of any queue space it is replacing (15 SF per person in an unconcentrated assembly occupancy versus 5 SF per person standing space in a queue). That’s not even getting into other impacts to things like exits.

natatomic

Courtesy > Efficiency
I would argue it’s courteous to not make every single wheelchair and stroller go to the physical bag check (which is what would be required if they went through the metal detector). Or on the other hand, it’s courteous to keep the wheelchair and stroller line as short as possible. It’s a longer process for each chair/stroller, and if each group is completely together, they would all be standing in the sun longer. And then that larger group would have to hop in the front of the metal detector line causing that one to stop (it rarely stops for just 1-2 sneaking in). It would be a cluster for sure.

As someone who uses that line every trip, if they made the entire group stick together, I’d be ed. It makes it so much easier that one part of the group just gets through the line asap and can just wait off in a shaded spot while the people with the chair/stroller are also being checked in the shade.

Courtesy indeed.

Purduevian

They really could not. A lounge space is at least triple the square footage per person of any queue space it is replacing (15 SF per person in an unconcentrated assembly occupancy versus 5 SF per person standing space in a queue). That’s not even getting into other impacts to things like exits.
Not all could for sure... but lets take ROTR as one of the most popular rides. At it's peak it hits around 1500 riders per hour. Standby is ~1/5 of ride capacity so 300 riders per hour from standby. I'll say to make a "lounge" vibe you probably want about 50sqft per person. To make it worth it lets hold 90 minutes of guests so 450 guests needing ~22500 sq feet.
I think I could find similar areas for Pirates, splash, big thunder, HM space, buzz, Remy, Frozen, Test Track, MFSR, RNRC, ToT, and FOP/Navi

1717443120988.png

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I would argue it’s courteous to not make every single wheelchair and stroller go to the physical bag check (which is what would be required if they went through the metal detector). Or on the other hand, it’s courteous to keep the wheelchair and stroller line as short as possible. It’s a longer process for each chair/stroller, and if each group is completely together, they would all be standing in the sun longer. And then that larger group would have to hop in the front of the metal detector line causing that one to stop (it rarely stops for just 1-2 sneaking in). It would be a cluster for sure.

As someone who uses that line every trip, if they made the entire group stick together, I’d be ed. It makes it so much easier that one part of the group just gets through the line asap and can just wait off in a shaded spot while the people with the chair/stroller are also being checked in the shade.

Courtesy indeed.
Don’t take the bait on this. Please.

Kristamouse

So I just got off my Zoom. 3 of our 6 kids are ADD and Autistic. We were refused and offer return queue and rider swap. I was getting emotional during the end of the call. My kids are 19, 16, 14, so ackward teens that do not want to talk about this over and over again at each ride entrance.
I still need to talk to my husband... I am not sure what we are going to do.
As a family of 8 genie plus will be thousands, we just cant swing that on top of an already expensive trip.

TrainsOfDisney

As someone who uses that line every trip, if they made the entire group stick together, I’d be ed.
Oh I don’t think they should make groups stick together, just allow families / groups to stick together if they want. If the lines get too long they should hire more security, not insist that groups separate.

Kristamouse

As someone with one child with level 1 and two other kids with no neurological issues I can assure you it is not the same.
Same, 6 kids. 3 with some degree of ADD/Autism issues (we dont use Spectrum any longer but 3 are on the spectum). There is a HUGE difference with a melt down.

jennab55

So I just got off my Zoom. 3 of our 6 kids are ADD and Autistic. We were refused and offer return queue and rider swap. I was getting emotional during the end of the call. My kids are 19, 16, 14, so ackward teens that do not want to talk about this over and over again at each ride entrance.
I still need to talk to my husband... I am not sure what we are going to do.
As a family of 8 genie plus will be thousands, we just cant swing that on top of an already expensive trip.
Curious how old are your other kids? Did they suggest that a parent and other 3 kids wait in line and then other parent plus 3 ADD/autistic kids meet up at merge point?

Dolcevita35

Do you have any experience with very young neurotypical children? The majority of them absolutely CANNOT wait in 90+ minute waits for a headliner over and over again. They would experience the exact same symptoms as a neurodivergent child if you tried.

Disney is not defining a disability. Their system is needs-based, not diagnosis-based.
Actually they are.. you can only now be grafted a DAS if your autistic or in the sane category as autism. My daughter has a life-threatening condition called pulmonary fibrosis which means it’s a death sentence. She can’t breathe the cells that mind your bones are damaged and scarred. They don’t regenerate which means they don’t carry oxygen to the blood which means you can have a heart attack if you can’t breathe and although it’s rare for a young person to have it, it’s possible and it’s hereditary because I haven’t she has it worse than me unfortunately, which means she can’t breathe and if her machine dies when we’re standing in line, then she dies to because she would have to have seconds to plug it in because her machine all those can be plugged in and charged it could die, and usually doesn’t last more than 30 minutes. Then we have the Dass in the past we’ve been sitting near the nurses station waiting for our return time unless of course we were in a storm or she was eating somewhere but we’d have to make sure that that machine is charged before we do any of that and it Hass to be an outlet if we’re at a restaurant which they’re usually is but when you’re standing in line and a cute there’s no outlet. Can we wait by the nurses station or inside the nurses station at the parks? We always make sure that as soon as it’s her return time she plugs in and she charges it so we don’t have to be there exactly on the dial of the return time she can charge it and have a breathing treatment charge it some more and then go straight to our return time and usually the lines are decent enough that she can get through the line and get on the road and get off the ride, but we always tell them we get on the ride that she has to have access to her oxygen of the right breaks down that she would have to get off the ride immediately and if they can’t accommodate that then we don’t line but most of the time they do, they tell us if the bride broke down that she would be the first of the ride that they would get her off the ride even if others weren’t being removed, she would have to be in so she can have access to her oxygen tank. She wears a breathing tube up her nose a nose cannula. It’s imperative that she can have a Dass pass so she can return to the line when she’s ready to when she knows that she’ll breathe and not drop dead. She can have a heart attack if she doesn’t get enough oxygen to her lungs and leave in the line quick enough to go find an outlet can prove deadly because if we’re standing in line and she suddenly hast to leave because her machine dies she has seconds to plug it in. There is no warning either. I explained this to Disney to the cast members and you know what they say and he said that she can practice regulating her breathing somewhere else and if that doesn’t work then maybe she shouldn’t go on any rides that’s how little Disney cares about their disabled guests. A company that was built on quarter values and being equal and all inclusive has now become a part that promotes discrimination, isolation and segregation because even if they do approve someone in your dad’s party and you have like both parents with you till segregate one of the parents and tell them that they can’t ride with you and tell them to go to STAN someone else my other daughter is coming with us. My oldest daughter has severe in a logical disorder, and they said it didn’t matter because she’s an adult so she can stand in line alone, and I said if she stands in line alone, she doesn’t even know what a line is she’ll have a nail down I told her to bring a fidget toy. I told her that she’ll break it and start throwing it at people because she has made her to try to calm her down and even if I was there to calm her down, we would have to leave the line we wouldn’t be able to come back. It would take hours. She would start throwing it at people in the same process would happen again. If it came back to another a long line sometimes we can’t even do it in the lightning in my mind. Anyway, these horrible cast members and the so-called medical professionals are using or purposely there to tell you know like 95% of the time they’re so Mission is too make the lightning Lane line for only paying gas, which was their other suggestion, making me pay to have an accommodation for my two disabled children. Because that’s all Disney cares about is what they’re losing on my mind they should’ve never put disable people in the lighting mean to begin with, they should have their own lane and they have their own lane then there wouldn’t be this problem. It’s not up to disney to decide who is disabled new isn’t disabled and their alternative they’re offering or not alternatives. It is not an equal accommodation when you’re offering one kind or type of alternate accommodation to autistic people only and the rest get basically an alternative that does nothing it’s not an alternative to tell people to go use a fidget toy. It’s not an alternative to tell people to go sit alone and isolate from their family. It’s not an alternative to tell them to go from ride to ride a ride and bake different cast members in front of loads of people if they can have a return time based on their disability, and having to explain that over and over again those are not alternatives and they’re definitely not equal to a pass that they’re offering for autistic people and I’m not saying Disney have to offer to us. I don’t know if they do or not but if there’s going to be, can’t make it available for one type of disability and not for everyone else.

Angel Ariel

Actually they are.. you can only now be grafted a DAS if your autistic or in the sane category as autism. My daughter has a life-threatening condition called pulmonary fibrosis which means it’s a death sentence. She can’t breathe the cells that mind your bones are damaged and scarred. They don’t regenerate which means they don’t carry oxygen to the blood which means you can have a heart attack if you can’t breathe and although it’s rare for a young person to have it, it’s possible and it’s hereditary because I haven’t she has it worse than me unfortunately, which means she can’t breathe and if her machine dies when we’re standing in line, then she dies to because she would have to have seconds to plug it in because her machine all those can be plugged in and charged it could die, and usually doesn’t last more than 30 minutes. Then we have the Dass in the past we’ve been sitting near the nurses station waiting for our return time unless of course we were in a storm or she was eating somewhere but we’d have to make sure that that machine is charged before we do any of that and it Hass to be an outlet if we’re at a restaurant which they’re usually is but when you’re standing in line and a cute there’s no outlet. Can we wait by the nurses station or inside the nurses station at the parks? We always make sure that as soon as it’s her return time she plugs in and she charges it so we don’t have to be there exactly on the dial of the return time she can charge it and have a breathing treatment charge it some more and then go straight to our return time and usually the lines are decent enough that she can get through the line and get on the road and get off the ride, but we always tell them we get on the ride that she has to have access to her oxygen of the right breaks down that she would have to get off the ride immediately and if they can’t accommodate that then we don’t line but most of the time they do, they tell us if the bride broke down that she would be the first of the ride that they would get her off the ride even if others weren’t being removed, she would have to be in so she can have access to her oxygen tank. She wears a breathing tube up her nose a nose cannula. It’s imperative that she can have a Dass pass so she can return to the line when she’s ready to when she knows that she’ll breathe and not drop dead. She can have a heart attack if she doesn’t get enough oxygen to her lungs and leave in the line quick enough to go find an outlet can prove deadly because if we’re standing in line and she suddenly hast to leave because her machine dies she has seconds to plug it in. There is no warning either. I explained this to Disney to the cast members and you know what they say and he said that she can practice regulating her breathing somewhere else and if that doesn’t work then maybe she shouldn’t go on any rides that’s how little Disney cares about their disabled guests. A company that was built on quarter values and being equal and all inclusive has now become a part that promotes discrimination, isolation and segregation because even if they do approve someone in your dad’s party and you have like both parents with you till segregate one of the parents and tell them that they can’t ride with you and tell them to go to STAN someone else my other daughter is coming with us. My oldest daughter has severe in a logical disorder, and they said it didn’t matter because she’s an adult so she can stand in line alone, and I said if she stands in line alone, she doesn’t even know what a line is she’ll have a nail down I told her to bring a fidget toy. I told her that she’ll break it and start throwing it at people because she has made her to try to calm her down and even if I was there to calm her down, we would have to leave the line we wouldn’t be able to come back. It would take hours. She would start throwing it at people in the same process would happen again. If it came back to another a long line sometimes we can’t even do it in the lightning in my mind. Anyway, these horrible cast members and the so-called medical professionals are using or purposely there to tell you know like 95% of the time they’re so Mission is too make the lightning Lane line for only paying gas, which was their other suggestion, making me pay to have an accommodation for my two disabled children. Because that’s all Disney cares about is what they’re losing on my mind they should’ve never put disable people in the lighting mean to begin with, they should have their own lane and they have their own lane then there wouldn’t be this problem. It’s not up to disney to decide who is disabled new isn’t disabled and their alternative they’re offering or not alternatives. It is not an equal accommodation when you’re offering one kind or type of alternate accommodation to autistic people only and the rest get basically an alternative that does nothing it’s not an alternative to tell people to go use a fidget toy. It’s not an alternative to tell people to go sit alone and isolate from their family. It’s not an alternative to tell them to go from ride to ride a ride and bake different cast members in front of loads of people if they can have a return time based on their disability, and having to explain that over and over again those are not alternatives and they’re definitely not equal to a pass that they’re offering for autistic people and I’m not saying Disney have to offer to us. I don’t know if they do or not but if there’s going to be, can’t make it available for one type of disability and not for everyone else.
The CM actually told you to have your child practice regulating breathing elsewhere?

I just want to make sure I'm understanding that correctly. If so, just. Wow.

Kristamouse

The simplest solution all along but also the most legally nebulous one is still, requiring medical documentation. Would instantly eliminate so many of the fakers
I also understand the leagality of this, but I have the medical documentation to prove and we were still denied. I would have happily shown the Cast Memeber.

Purduevian

Totally unrelated to Disney/DAS, but your daughter's pulmonary fibrosis is terrifying to me. A device that may last up to 30 minutes but could randomly shut down and need to be plugged in within seconds is such a tough way to live regardless of where you are. Regardless of where you are, just wanted to make you aware of a product called a "Jackery" which can provide a portable outlet that could be carried around in a backpack (depending on the wattage you require)

I am not at all suggesting this is something you should be forced to carry around to enjoy Disney World, just in general something that I would definitely own if I was in your situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom