New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We had the exact opposite experience in July of 2021. There seemed to be a constant stream of people going through the FP lanes. Slinky Dog was the worst. We came to a complete 20 minute standstill multiple times while going through the stand by line while watching lots of trains go by with multiple empty seats. It was very frustrating and I remember saying at the time that all those people who kept saying wait times would be better without any FP were sorely mistaken.
And again…that was with no genie. The people going through the FP lane was ONLY DAS.

We should have realized they had a problem just then.

Our experiences were similar…seemed to be a lot of people in the lightning lanes…

Which likely means it was being used as a line skip by non-DAS patrons. They knew they had a problem and probably let it play to see if those would “convert” to paid genie

Which is such a stupid idea I guarantee they convinced themselves of it

ditzee

Won't this still be the way for HM, BTM, and of course Splash soon to be TBA..Unless they are really modifying the Queue, there is no parking and exit from the load area so ecv's and wheelchairs come thru the exit to load.
Don't know - guess we'll know once Disney releases their new DAS rules.

CampbellzSoup

Abuse is so widespread and without any real consequences or verification process, it even makes people who might not need this think why should I pay for lightning lane when I can save this and that without any verification and game the system.

Fido Chuckwagon

I am talking about those who like certain rides and want to go on them more than once. So if someone loves Pirates, and they no longer "qualify for DAS and are told to just buy Genie+, you can only use Genie+ on each ride one time. DAS allows you to pick the same ride as many times as you want. So a person with a disability that doesn't fall under the new DAS guidelines because their issues are not neurological, they will no longer be able to do the parks as they like.
The point was that a non-DAS user who likes pirates can’t do the parks the way they like either because realistically, nobody is going to enjoy waiting in a 45 minute to an hour line over and over again to do the same ride over and over again. It’s a false equivalency. It’s also why it makes sense that Disney still allows classic DAS for those with developmental disabilities, while excluding it for those with others.

And DAS wasn’t created to let those with disabilities “do parks as they like.” It was created to put those with a disability on an even footing with those without.

Last edited:

ditzee

Did the DAS abuse start when Disney began Genie+? Asking because I really don't know. Figure there must have been some cheaters before but did it begin to rise exponentially with Genie+ implementation?

jaklgreen

The point was that a non-DAS user who likes pirates can’t do the parks the way they like either because realistically, nobody is going to enjoy waiting in a 45 minute to an hour line over and over again to do the same ride over and over again. It’s a false equivalency. It’s also why it makes sense that Disney still allows classic DAS for those with developmental disabilities, while excluding it for those with others.

And DAS wasn’t created to let those with disabilities “do parks as they like.” It was created to put those with a disability on an even footing with those without. That mentality is what has gotten us into the current mess.
But you do realize that DAS holders do wait that time also. Everyone keeps calling DAS a instant access but it is not. And yes, it is equal footing to be able to wait for Pirates to ride it over. Right now, both typical guests and DAS users can do that. If people that used to get DAS are now told to buy Genie+, they are no longer on "equal footing" because they will only be able to ride Pirates once with Genie+. That is my point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not necessarily. It depends on when you go. I know that some of you are having a hard time believing this, but different people like different things in the parks. Not everyone just wants to do the thrill rides. You all have this idea in your heads that all DAS people do is ride the E tickets over and over every day and that is not true at all. Many people, especially that Autistic kids, have their favorites and they are not necessarily the big attractions.
And if someone is willing to wait out that time to go on what they want, so what? People are free to tour the parks as they wish.

I don’t think anyone is assuming it’s only e tickets…that’s just the easy choke point/example.

What I’m failing to understand - and it’s not my forte - is how does DAS prove integral for rides that are low waits but provide necessary line accommodations?

Because I agree that standbys could reride Those at will…but the difference between that and DAS accommodations would be minimal?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Did the DAS abuse start when Disney began Genie+? Asking because I really don't know. Figure there must have been some cheaters before but did it begin to rise exponentially with Genie+ implementation?
I think the end of FP+ was more of a turning point for DAS usage than the beginning of G+, just from keeping tabs on the Disabilities forum on Disboards. For many guests, getting really good at FP+ WAS a sufficient accommodation. Starting summer 2020, many people needed more than that.

Which led to a LOT more questions about DAS.

Which led to a lot more articles on all the planning sites about DAS.

Which led to a lot more awareness of DAS.

Which led to a lot more legitimate DAS use, a lot more marginal DAS use, and a lot more outright fraud.

ditzee

If it’s equal footing then answer @Sirwalterraleigh ‘s implied follow-up question. Why is it only DAS users who are riding rides (with actual waits, not Dumbo or Swiss Family Treehouse or Peoplemover), over and over again?
K, let's say then, for example, that the DAS holder is comfortable on one Tier 1 ride and one Tier 3 ride and those are the only 2 rides they can handle that they ride over and over, that leaves line space for all of the other rides. As a DAS holder, I cannot handle rough rides like Space Mountain and I really like Pirates. Other DAS holders might hate Pirates and love rough rides. We could play with what if scenarios all day long but everyone is different and thousands of combinations could be extrapolated.

ditzee

I think the end of FP+ was more of a turning point for DAS usage than the beginning of G+, just from keeping tabs on the Disabilities forum on Disboards. For many guests, getting really good at FP+ WAS a sufficient accommodation. Starting summer 2020, many people needed more than that.

Which led to a LOT more questions about DAS.

Which led to a lot more articles on all the planning sites about DAS.

Which led to a lot more awareness of DAS.

Which led to a lot more legitimate DAS use, a lot more marginal DAS use, and a lot more outright fraud.
Thank you - I was not in the parks during FP+ and was not aware of the impact it had.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
So... I'm not going to read through 222 pages.

Can anyone factually tell me in plain english what the current process is, and what is allowed/disallowed?

Fido Chuckwagon

Can anyone factually tell me in plain english what the current process is, and what is allowed/disallowed?
You’re not going to get an answer to that because it is in flux and will likely not be known until they change over on May 20th. If you want the answer for how it exists right now? Nothing has really changed yet except for the 10 minute cooldown, and that’s not confirmed.

ditzee

A DAS

CM told me during my registration yesterday that the new DAS rules will be announced on May 20th.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No

Some of what WDW has shared about the upcoming changes so far:

10 minute cool down after checking in to last ride
Reducing party size from 6 people to 4 people unless immediate family (they have not clarified immediate)
Guest Relations will no longer handle the actual DAS requests; all of it will be done video chat
Guests who did not pre-register for DAS will be directed to iPads to video chat in-park
A third party, Inspire Health Alliance, will be available to assist CM during the registiration process
Annual Passes will have a new longer window of DAS use
Cane chairs will now be allowed in the parks

Discussions have included the following (I’m not sure all origins):

Rider Swap might be part of the new strategy at WDW as well
Leave the Line passes may be offered for certain conditions
The 2 pre-selected rides daily may no longer be available to some or all
Other assistance may be offered in place of the traditional DAS when possible

*** I might not have this all correct. Some is coming out of WDW and others DL, and it gets confusing.

ETA - I forgot the biggest detail - Developmental Disabilities
Disability Access Service (DAS) is one of our programs offered at Walt Disney World Resort theme parks intended to accommodate Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.”

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom