New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean depending on various variables there's always been options. We've done trips pre-us qualifying for DAS where we rode BTMRR 6x in a row (w/nephew) basically back to back, getting there at rope drop (this was during fp+ time, not legacy).

Often during the time of year we visit we can do back to back rides on tea cups because there's no standby wait (limited to 2 only because DH and I can't do more than that in a row physically- DD is like the energizer bunny on that ride :) ). At the time of year we travel this is often an option for quite a few of the non-e ticket attractions.

Weather can also help make it possible. We rode Spider-Man 4 times in a row this past January, not because of DAS but because it was raining, arrived soon after rope drop, and the wait kept only being 5 mins.

These are just examples, not the only examples -, but on virtually every trip we've taken there's been options to ride back to back using standby line only (no DAS) with little waits for a variety of attractions.
So what year/date was that big thunder thing?

Angel Ariel

So what year/date was that big thunder thing?
It was a while ago, hence saying fp+ time, but I don't remember exact year. DD is small for her age so height took a while for her to reach, and when she was too little to ride we would only ride once so as not to take advantage of the grandparents who were watching her for us while we rode.

Spiderman is a bigger e ticket than BTMRR, that was just a few months ago. Fully understand it was weather oriented - but the point of my post was that situations do still occur that allow for standby re-rides with little waits.

SamusAranX

Not everyone with a disability NEEDED the prior service. It was meant for people whose disability prevented them from waiting in a normal queue.

That’s where the service needs to be focused.

I have to wear shades because the sun bothers my eyes isn’t a disability that prevents one from waiting in a queue.
While this is true, it’s at least partially on Disney for allowing such to be approved to begin with. I used this example before but, it’s similar to a manager getting upset at an employee taking too much time off, when the manager is the one who signed off on it to begin with.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Shortly before Splash closed I rode big thunder and splash back to back a few times each the last hour or 2 at MK. At this moment it has a 30 minute wait on the app - not exactly back to back status but reasonable for a re-ride for sure.
So what day/month?

See this is why I’m asking:

The premise thrown out is that DAS needs to be preserved over putting people in genie because they lose their ability to reride all day LIKE standby…

But that’s an old debate fallacy…taking anecdotes like “one day we rode rides twice cause there was little wait…” and tossing out the MEAN of the situation.

The reality is the tales of back to backs - once common in the off seasons which don’t really exist anymore - are not a significant portion of the average days. And the average is all that matters.

Same with the stories of getting 14 FP+ on a day. For every one of those…you would get 30 (maybe more) “3 and outs”…which was a problem for Disney because DAK, MGM, EPCOT were emptying out and heading back to the pool. The pool doesn’t have an upcharge…yet.

The discussions of park ops must ALWAYS be about the average…not the outliers. I don’t form my takes from New Year’s Eve. Unless it’s about New Year’s Eve

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was a while ago, hence saying fp+ time, but I don't remember exact year. DD is small for her age so height took a while for her to reach, and when she was too little to ride we would only ride once so as not to take advantage of the grandparents who were watching her for us while we rode.

Spiderman is a bigger e ticket than BTMRR, that was just a few months ago. Fully understand it was weather oriented - but the point of my post was that situations do still occur that allow for standby re-rides with little waits.
Wait? Are you talking about Anaheim?

And the timing matters…because of what I said above…the policy is determined by tossing out the outliers and focusing on the middle.

Chi84

Premium Member
Using your example, Disney isn’t “upset”, they are simply canceling the vacation policy and replacing it with a more focused, restrictive one to solve the problem.
Nor were they upset when they replaced GAC with DAS. There was no paid system to avoid standing in lines then, but the system was overwhelmed and often abused, leading to lower overall guest satisfaction.

Angel Ariel

Wait? Are you talking about Anaheim?

And the timing matters…because of what I said above…the policy is determined by tossing out the outliers and focusing on the middle.
the examples I gave in the original post you quoted were from both coasts. Spiderman from dlr, the specific experience with Btmrr with my nephew was WDW, and things like tea cups, buzz, etc - we've experienced on both coasts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
the examples I gave in the original post you quoted were from both coasts. Spiderman from dlr, the specific experience with Btmrr with my nephew was WDW, and things like tea cups, buzz, etc - we've experienced on both coasts.
You can’t equate the crowds/flow at Disneyland vs magic kingdom…

The raw attendance might be the same…but totally different consumers that use the parks differently.

TheMouseFan

In June of 2021, the lightning lanes seemed very empty to me.

The few people I did see going through them were what led to me learning about the existence of DAS in the first place. I think a lot of people probably have a similar experience. "I thought fast pass was gone? How are those people going in that line?".

We went to Disney the fall when there wasn’t a FP system and it was amazing. The lines definitely moved a lot more constantly than they have at any other period in recent history.

We specifically planned the trip to take advantage of no fast passes.
We had the exact opposite experience in July of 2021. There seemed to be a constant stream of people going through the FP lanes. Slinky Dog was the worst. We came to a complete 20 minute standstill multiple times while going through the stand by line while watching lots of trains go by with multiple empty seats. It was very frustrating and I remember saying at the time that all those people who kept saying wait times would be better without any FP were sorely mistaken.

ditzee

Agree, that’s why hopefully Disney is monitoring all of these online conversations and will “tear the Band-Aid” and go to just the minimal required by law and make it as difficult as reasonably possible to access the program.

Their historic desire to be empathetic has created countless scammers taking advantage of the situation and is, unfortunately, the definition of “no good deed goes unpunished”.
I absolutely agree Disey will do this.... at first.
Agree too about the scammers and Disney enabling them.

Angel Ariel

You can’t equate the crowds/flow at Disneyland vs magic kingdom…

The raw attendance might be the same…but totally different consumers that use the parks differently.
I wasn't equating them. Simply sharing that on both coasts we've had experiences where we've been able to re-ride attractions via standby. I acknowledge it's not the go-to anymore that it was back in like 2006, but it's also not so rare it never happens 🤷‍♀️

rtmachine

GAC, before it changed, was a total skip the line system. GAC holders were brought in through the exits a lot of the time. It was like having a free VIP tour line access but maybe better and definitely cheaper.
DAS is a virtual line system and having done both, I can say that if skipping the line was the objective, GAC was 1 million times better.
Won't this still be the way for HM, BTM, and of course Splash soon to be TBA..Unless they are really modifying the Queue, there is no parking and exit from the load area so ecv's and wheelchairs come thru the exit to load.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wasn't equating them. Simply sharing that on both coasts we've had experiences where we've been able to re-ride attractions via standby. I acknowledge it's not the go-to anymore that it was back in like 2006, but it's also not so rare it never happens 🤷‍♀️
It’s very scarce…it wouldn’t be that common if we just polled this board - and we’re Disney nuts…

The general public would be significantly lower

TrainsOfDisney

It’s very scarce…it wouldn’t be that common if we just polled this board - and we’re Disney nuts…
Have you been to the parks recently? What are you basing that off of?

There’s plenty of attractions you can often re-ride with little to no wait. right now on the app there are several attractions with 5-10 minute waits including little mermaid, dumbo, tea cups, speedway, carpets, barnstormer, laugh floor

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom