New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Wendy Pleakley

So you're unable to spend hours reading this thread like the rest of us. Or do you just not want to? What if we let you borrow a screen reader and you could listen to a transcript instead? This is the essence of the entire thread

Or just read one page because most of the same comments are repeated over 176 pages ;)

Heck, if I had a nickel for every insistence this is just a ploy to make money, I could afford a legitimate VIP tour.

Splash4eva

Or just read one page because most of the same comments are repeated over 176 pages ;)

Heck, if I had a nickel for every insistence this is just a ploy to make money, I could afford a legitimate VIP tour.
I mean in fairness would you be shocked if after the dust clears and the pre books go away Disney does not start offering some premier version of Genie or charge more for the added feature with no other option?

Fido Chuckwagon

Yes possibly. Disney is trying to sell more LL. I agree with @Touchdown the difference will be minimal as far as SB. The only way you'll see a significant difference in SB is if the LL runs out. I'm happy for the changes regardless as people who really need it will have a better experience. As will people using G+.
The LL:standby ratio isn’t constant. Insiders have posted it ranges from 80:20 to 95:5 (or even more than 95:5 if the LL gets extra backed up). If there fewer DAS users in the LL’s, especially at non-peak times, then Disney can more frequently use that lower ratio.

Tha Realest

I was responding to a post that stated DAS riders moving to standby would significantly increase standby lines. The standby line might be slightly larger in number but would still move more quickly.
Yes. Previous DAS-eligible guests will now be in standby, and can’t cycle through as rapidly in the LL (or have multiple lines at once). That inherently limits the volume of LL, which would tend to increase the flow on the standby side. This also assumes that those guests who previously used DAS would still go to the parks as frequently. Those guests may not see the value having lost DAS and it’s benefits.

awoogala

Unless they replace the DAS slots in LL with Genie+/ILL. Then the standby line will move at the same speed but have a few more people in it.
Believe it or not, A lot of DAS users already use Genie+, in addition to their DAS, to make their day easier. I don't know numbers, but I've heard it used as a strategy to truly up your chances of riding everything. So it might not change that much from new DAS rejections.

DisneyHead123

I mean in fairness would you be shocked if after the dust clears and the pre books go away Disney does not start offering some premier version of Genie or charge more for the added feature with no other option?
Yeah, I don’t see this as some kind of conspiracy theory or something. I thought the insiders here said specifically that Disney couldn’t believe how much DAS was cutting into their Genie lines, motivating them to make some changes. Presumably to sell more Genie+, and to allow for the rollout of pre selections.

Basil of Baker Street

Yeah, I don’t see this as some kind of conspiracy theory or something. I thought the insiders here said specifically that Disney couldn’t believe how much DAS was cutting into their Genie lines, motivating them to make some changes. Presumably to sell more Genie+, and to allow for the rollout of pre selections.
On @lentesta 's podcast, he explained that its possible that only 1 in 5 guests are G+ in LL. If Disney could change that to 2 in 5, they are doubling their $$. We're talking serious cash here.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

On @lentesta 's podcast, he explained that its possible that only 1 in 5 guests are G+ in LL. If Disney, could change that to 2 in 5, they are doubling their $$. We're talking serious cash here.
This will be interesting going forward. Clearly the DAS volume was messing up operations, and likely guest satisfaction. Is the DAS reconfiguration a way to stop the bleeding in this regard? Were G+ users unhappy with the product due to the waits? Were overall guests unhappy due to the waits?

The variable pricing of G+ makes the supply/demand issue somewhat fluid, but it’s not a service that generally sells out. As I mentioned earlier, if the DAS reconfiguring makes the overall posted wait times lower, and the standby experience less unpleasant, does that make G+ more attractive or desirable?

Now, I could see them juicing G+ benefits (advance bookings, less down time between next redemption), or lowering the price to get more to purchase.

RamblinWreck

This will be interesting going forward. Clearly the DAS volume was messing up operations, and likely guest satisfaction. Is the DAS reconfiguration a way to stop the bleeding in this regard? Were G+ users unhappy with the product due to the waits? Were overall guests unhappy due to the waits?

The variable pricing of G+ makes the supply/demand issue somewhat fluid, but it’s not a service that generally sells out. As I mentioned earlier, if the DAS reconfiguring makes the overall posted wait times lower, and the standby experience less unpleasant, does that make G+ more attractive or desirable?

Now, I could see them juicing G+ benefits (advance bookings, less down time between next redemption), or lowering the price to get more to purchase.
I’ve never been to Disneyland so I don’t pay too much attention to it, but it sounds like DAS abuse was causing more problems over there than in Florida.

I’ve seen videos of terribly backed up LL’s over there, and read about people who had paid for Genie+ showing up for their lightning lane and having a cast member say “trust me, the standby line will be shorter”.

That’s obviously going to cause problems from both guest satisfaction perspective and an operational perspective.

I’m not sure how a LL can be so backed up that standby is shorter though. Don’t they typically shift to 100% LL in a situation like that?

lentesta

Premium Member

Yeah, these will be the interesting things.

We've got decent counts of pre-May 20 standby and LL usage and actual waits. We're going to need to do another round after May 20 to see the difference.

Disstevefan1

Yeah, these will be the interesting things.

We've got decent counts of pre-May 20 standby and LL usage and actual waits. We're going to need to do another round after May 20 to see the difference.
Looking forward to the data. We know Disney will make more money selling Genie+ but your data will tell us how the wait times change, hopefully for the better.

Ayla

I’ve never been to Disneyland so I don’t pay too much attention to it, but it sounds like DAS abuse was causing more problems over there than in Florida.

I’ve seen videos of terribly backed up LL’s over there, and read about people who had paid for Genie+ showing up for their lightning lane and having a cast member say “trust me, the standby line will be shorter”.

That’s obviously going to cause problems from both guest satisfaction perspective and an operational perspective.

I’m not sure how a LL can be so backed up that standby is shorter though. Don’t they typically shift to 100% LL in a situation like that?
Since LL is afforded the vast majority of line capacity, a stand by line will never be shorter than the LL line, time-wise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom