New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

RamblinWreck

I feel bad for the woman, but her argument really doesn't make sense. She's not required to sit in the chair all day. It is an available option that she can get in and out of as needed if a queue is longer than she can stand or sit. What length of time does her doctor consider an "extended period" to be sitting? To me, her case is one that could be accommodated without using DAS to obtain return times, based on what information was shared.
Still I’d rather her be on DAS than all the people who walk up to the blue umbrellas and just say they have anxiety.

RamblinWreck

Maybe if I type slower....

Proof that a lot of people are utilizing DAS is not proof of abuse. Saying that 8% of guests are taking up 70% of capacity, is not proof of abuse.

Of the two general forms of abuse being discussed here:

No one knows how many people request DAS actually need it versus do not. Disney cannot ask for or store medical records to know how many people have a need backed up by a professional opinion versus do not. Let alone anyone on this website.

As far as standby queue abuse goes, no one has claimed to know how many people issued DAS are entering standby queues. Disney *might* have an idea if they are using magicband tracking to find out who is where in the park at any particular point, but even that data would be widely prone to error.

So when people start making outrageous claims about all the abuse (somehow implying that DAS users at large are all liars and cheats) it seems fair to just ask ... what is that number?
It doesn’t matter if it’s abuse or not. It’s too much. It’s breaking the entire queuing system.

Chip Chipperson

Still I’d rather her be on DAS than all the people who walk up to the blue umbrellas and just say they have anxiety.
No doubt, in a perfect world Disney could and would require proof. Anxiety to the extent needed to qualify for DAS does exist, but is often treatable with medication so really shouldn't qualify for DAS return times except in the rarest of rare cases.

MickeyLuv'r

I disagree, especially with a family that can ride all the rides. Rider switch works for rides where there are children too small to ride. I know there are other use cases, but this is the biggest reason. Otherwise, families would not be able to ride the ride at all. It is a choice to separate for the time required to do the standby for the several rides that might require it.

It is unreasonable for families to spend a good portion of the day away from the whole family because that is the only accommodation available.
Rider swap has also been modified over the years. Generally, it was only for families with children that were too short to ride, but sometimes CM's would make exceptions if a child was too scared to ride.

At one point, child swap was done via paper passes. At some point, the second group could be up to 4 people.

Back when Soarin' was newer, Soarin' was a bit more restrictive than other rides. It was a while ago, but I think for Soarin', a rider swap was only issued if the first group used the standby queue. If the family had FP, they were sometimes denied a child swap pass.

Most other rides, if a family of say 7 qualified for rider swap, then a group of 5 rode the attraction while 1adult+the child waited. They could request a child swap even if they were using paper FP. When they got off the ride, a group of 4 could go on the ride using the pass in the FP lane. I'm not sure if rider swap can be paired with G+.

At some point, the pass was changed. I have not used a pass recently, but - I think- the pass now only allows 2 people to use the LL.

Always some % of people using the LL (for rides with a height restriction) is for Rider swap users. Rider swap is NOT available for rides that do not have a height restriction, so it was never offered at HM, for example.

If WDW plans to expand rider swap, it is unknown how it will be implemented. (who will qualify)

ditzee

I can give you a made up scenario if you would like that can highlight the issue. It might be a bit long but bear with me.

This is overly simplified to make it easier to describe…

A family of 4 with DAS. All lines are 60min for simplicity sake.

Has pre book for Thunder mountain at 9am. Gets to park at 8am and gets in line for pirates and gets off at 9:10. Then goes to Thunder mountain and makes DAS reservation for haunted mansion return at 10:10. Finishes thunder mountain and gets in line for Peter Pan. Finishes Peter Pan at 10:30. Then goes on HM at 10:40. Makes DAS for small world return at 11:40. Gets off HM at 11, gets in line for jungle cruise and gets off at 12:20. Then goes on small world and gets off at 12:45.

Family of 4 without DAS.

Pirates at 8am, off at 9:15. Thunder mountain at 9:30, off at 10:45. Peter Pan at 11, off at 12:15. Haunted mansion at 12:30, off ar 1:45. Jungle cruise at 2, off at 3:15. Small
World at 3:30, off at 4:45.

Comparing the two, DAS gets on 6 rides in 4hr 45min. Non DAS get on 6 rides in 8hr 45min.

DAS is twice as efficient if used in this way. I’m not saying everyone is dong this, but I personally know a few that do this.

I don’t know what the solution is, and I honestly don’t really care if they change it.
Then the Family of 4 with DAS leaves the park at 12:45 for the day because the disabled person cannot last more than a few hours in the parks.

Family of 4 without DAS
Continues making Genie reservations and enjoying rides. Watches the 3 o'clock parade. Has dinner at CRT - only later reservations are available. After dinner, the family watches the Happily Ever After fireworks show.
The Family of 4 with DAS paid +/- $436 for for 5 hours in the parks.
The Family of 4 without DAS paid +/- $436 for 14 hours in the parks.

Chip Chipperson

But Disney assessed the situation and issued her a DAS anyway. And since Disney is in the best position to know what's right... we have to respect that ..... right?
Multiple Disney CMs denied her request. She finally found someone who decided it was easier to avoid a scene and give her what she wants rather than what she needs. If the new system removes or greatly reduces that scenario then it will be an improvement.

StarBright

Then the Family of 4 with DAS leaves the park at 12:45 for the day because the disabled person cannot last more than a few hours in the parks.

Family of 4 without DAS
Continues making Genie reservations and enjoying rides. Watches the 3 o'clock parade. Has dinner at CRT only later reservations are available. After dinner, the family watches the Happily Ever After fireworks show.
The Family of 4 with DAS paid $436 for +/ for 5 hours in the parks.
The Family of 4 without DAS paid +/- $436 for 14 hours in the parks.
Equal access does not mean identical experience.

ConfettiCupcake

If it's not abuse and it's legally mandated, it doesn't matter at all that it's "too much." Waiting in a short line is not a right. Disability accommodation is.

So if we assume little to no abuse or overuse (disagree, but okay), than with these changes Disney is putting themselves is a precarious position legally as everybody legitimately qualifies and legitimately can’t be accommodated any other way?

If there’s one thing they’re not doing here in my opinion, it’s blindly making changes that are going to have massive legal consequences. Their actions point to knowing there’s a significant amount of abuse or overuse.

el_super

Just a note that people here can't know what's legally mandated as far as line accommodations or documentation requests because those issues have not been determined by the ADA or court cases.

But Disney has a team of lawyers and they've already determined that they cannot collect medical information... so ... right?

Multiple Disney CMs denied her request. She finally found someone who decided it was easier to avoid a scene and give her what she wants rather than what she needs. If the new system removes or greatly reduces that scenario then it will be an improvement.

And to be fair.... this is fine for me. As long as Disney still has an option to override their own rules and issue DAS as needed (which has been the defacto policy for awhile now) there really won't be a wide scale problem of denying users that need it.

DisneyCane

I think at first you will be wrong. Everyone on this thread will claim it worked, just like they said it would.

But give it a few months for word to spread, the new way to cheat will arise.

See Disney’s threat to ban people is a complete paper tiger and everyone knows it.

The cheaters will be back en-masse.

But hey at least some disabled people got the shaft in the process!

That’s reason to celebrate apparently.
I think the permanent bans are targeted at the "tour guides" and then to act as a deterrent for somebody that doesn't really need DAS and might not try to get it if there is a chance they could end up banned for life.

Naplesgolfer

If it's not abuse and it's legally mandated, it doesn't matter at all that it's "too much." Waiting in a short line is not a right. Disability accommodation is.
It is tempered by how much it effect's Disney's ability to run their business. The law takes both into account. Disney only has to provide the experience of the normal able-bodied guest not the extra paid for Genie+.

Naplesgolfer

But Disney assessed the situation and issued her a DAS anyway. And since Disney is in the best position to know what's right... we have to respect that ..... right?
I am not commenting on the merits of this woman's case. But remote interviews and Inspire with help with providing the correct out come vs I just want this irate person away from me so here's your DAS. A lot of this goes on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom