New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Tha Realest

No it doesn't. Most of what you describe above is something any able bodied person can receive from walking into a standby queue. And that's the whole point of DAS: parity to standby.
The comparison was between what G+ affords vs DAS. Why are you shifting the discussion to “parity to standby” when the discussion is about a line-skipping service?

Chi84

Premium Member
The GAC case was about line skipping. DAS is not a line skipping accommodation. It is a virtual queue. Given how often posted wait times are actually higher it is one that actually has a known and measured disadvantage.
I thought about you before saying it lol. I know all this. it’s just a convenient and oft-used description of why people prefer Genie+ or DAS to standing in line. You don’t skip the wait, but you do skip standing in the line

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

This will reduce DAS use in the parks for sure. Also, folks that genuinely needed it before and got it under the old system, and today may need it more will now be denied and these folks will simply not go on attractions or even not go to the parks which will also reduce crowding too.

Will eliminating these folks be enough of an improve the guest experience at WDW?

Probably not as the real problem is NOT the DAS system. The problem is lack of capacity at the parks and since this costs MONEY; this will not be fixed in a meaningful way going forward.

My hope is EPIC makes a significant impact forcing WDW to do something.
The bolded - 💯.

Andrew25

IMO, Genie+ being a "lesser value" than DAS speaks more about how many people Disney allows to purchase Genie (And how complicated of a system it is) over DAS being a "better" system.

mickEblu

Disney created this mess by making Lightning Lane the new standby line and turning standby lines into holding pens. Limit the supply and double the price of Genie + and watch how the DAS issues magically go away when standby waits are reasonable and lines are moving.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

I understand that completely, I just don't know what other options Disney has. In a realistic world the only solution for WDW is to "move" the approval process to a somewhat respected 3rd party that could possibly filter out any "cheaters" in the system to reduce use.
What's respected though? As I said earlier, IBCCES was started for a specific diagnosis, and the organization as a whole beyond the accessibility card is about autism certification for businesses. That's great. That doesn't make them an expert in *disability.*

With few actual MDs on their board, and no transparency as to what the qualifications are of people making the determination as to who is approved and who isn't, I'd love information as to how they're qualified to approve or decline requests for the wide variety of medical diagnoses that go through that system.

Andrew25

What's respected though? As I said earlier, IBCCES was started for a specific diagnosis, and the organization as a whole beyond the accessibility card is about autism certification for businesses. That's great. That doesn't make them an expert in *disability.*

With few actual MDs on their board, and no transparency as to what the qualifications are of people making the determination as to who is approved and who isn't, I'd love information as to how they're qualified to approve or decline requests for the wide variety of medical diagnoses that go through that system.
I'm no expert, but at the current moment, they seem to be the best possible choice for this situation.

DisneyCane

The GAC case was about line skipping. DAS is not a line skipping accommodation. It is a virtual queue. Given how often posted wait times are actually higher it is one that actually has a known and measured disadvantage.
That is true but, given the choice, the vast majority would rather wait by wandering around, eating or shopping or even sitting on a bench than standing in a queue for the same amount of time. If you are getting DAS just for abuse purposes, you can also ride attractions with shorter standby lines while you are in the VQ for something with a long wait. People who legitimately need DAS don't get that benefit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IMO, Genie+ being a "lesser value" than DAS speaks more about how many people Disney allows to purchase Genie (And how complicated of a system it is) over DAS being a "better" system.
Actually it speaks to how the capacity doesn’t meet the crowds…and their attempts to profit off that has driven prices to the point where they’re losing business - hence another round of gimmicky summer discounts this morning

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is true but, given the choice, the vast majority would rather wait by wandering around, eating or shopping or even sitting on a bench than standing in a queue for the same amount of time. If you are getting DAS just for abuse purposes, you can also ride attractions with shorter standby lines while you are in the VQ for something with a long wait. People who legitimately need DAS don't get that benefit.
Standby lines have been relegated to “pauper purgatory” now…and it’s a shame, because Disney once had crowd flow/line dynamics perfected

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No question

There is zero doubt a virtual queue is far more preferable than…whatever it is they’re trying to do now.

Angel Ariel

I'm no expert, but at the current moment, they seem to be the best possible choice for this situation.
Then given Disney's pull in the industry, Disney should have no problem enforcing that ibcces be transparent with what the qualifications are of the people making these decisions if they're going to use ibcces.

ETA: as well as transparent with how the data collected by ibcces is stored/protected, how long it is stored for, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're conflating ADA protection with courtesy. When an airline allows a person in a wheelchair to board the plane early, they don't tell their companion "you'll just have to wait here." They allow them onboard at the same time. This isn't because they are required to do so, but because it's the right thing to do.

The same courtesy, something which Disney is known for and prides itself on, can and should be extended to their travel party, and capping it at six total is reasonable, in my opinion.
Courtesy is one of the things being exploited

A lot of reports of 16 person extended groups using DAS at their leisure…which is not really what it’s designed for

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom