Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
That was my point. A number of people keep referring to things like “the guidelines” and “the requirements” as though there are specific rules already spelled out. They don’t exist. So one cannot claim that Disney is following specific regulations that don’t exist. Even the design standards, which are very specific and prescriptive, don’t cover a lot of scenarios.
People could be reasoning that avoiding waiting in lines is not the kind of accommodation contemplated by the ADA since it‘s a subject (unlike design standards) that is completely left out. Or they could be thinking that a return to line system would be sufficient to meet the reasonable accommodation requirement under the circumstance where Disney’s business model is having people stand in lines unless they pay to avoid them.

lazyboy97o

Beyond physical accessibility requirements that have been incorporated into building codes and local code enforcement... its down to civil challenges to enforce anything ADA.
Even the physical accessibility requirements are a bit of a mess in terms of enforcement. In a lot of jurisdictions a standard has not been adopted so there is little to no review. There are also too many jurisdictions that don’t understand that a local government cannot waive federal requirements. That’s how you get so many stories of small businesses being sued despite having a relatively new facility.

Tha Realest

Can we all agree that we WANT WDW to go “above and beyond” for all customers? And especially for those with disabilities?

We don’t want the bare minimum fireworks show, and we don’t want the bare minimum in hotel cleanliness… we want the Disney service that made us all fall in love with Disney.
Sure. But not in a way that greatly diminishes experiences of the majority of paying guests.

Angel Ariel

They go up to the exit of the attraction, get a return time to board and are not allowed to ride anything til that time is up.
They're not allowed to ride anything else using the disability accommodations. At universal and other regional parks using this we could ride other attractions via standby if it worked for us.

peter11435

They wouldn't have to. A simple workflow could be as follows...

User registers for DAS with a developmental disability that has been concluded prevents them from waiting in a queue. Their name and details go into the computer. System can identify they are an employee and they get flagged.

Later, a second system reviews all employees who qualified for DAS and compares their work history and accommodations. If by some pre-determined rules of intersection of key data points happen, you boil the record up for manual evaluation. Someone in HR can review by inspecting the person's responsibilities, documented accommodations or reported limitations, and comparing with the DAS request.

Disney's purpose isn't to deny them the DAS when they apply - you don't want to deny people something they may need. Instead you post-analyze the data to look for irregularities, screen, and bubble up ones that methodically that seem suspicious. Then you assess, and either dismiss the alert, or take some other action of your choosing.

Point is, you make it an employee issue - not a denying accommodations issue. If someone ultimately is lying to get DAS, they put their park privileges and employer/employee relationship at risk... you don't try to screen them out of getting a DAS. You leave the rope...
Just because someone has a disability and needs DAS to spend the day at a theme park doesn’t mean their employer has records of their disability.

RamblinWreck

I’m 6’-4” but thankfully a lot of my height is in my torso. It does make me want to duck on SM ;)
This is actually hilarious to me!

Up until last year I actually thought I hated Space Mountain because I always felt sick at the end of it.

It turned out I was making myself sick by crouching through the whole thing, as if being 6’3 was somehow dangerous for that ride. Now that I’ve forced myself to sit up straight I love it

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just because someone has a disability and needs DAS to spend the day at a theme park doesn’t mean their employer has records of their disability.

Reported Disabilities they need accommodations for? Yes they would
Disabilities they have not disclosed to their employer? You are correct

But the employer knows what their job requirements are, and if their job requirements conflict with the functions they claim they can't do as a guest in the park...and have no existing accommodations for... then that would raise questions. This isn't a tough question when we are talking about the areas Disney is going to limit DAS to and what things the guests are trying to avoid.

Smiley/OCD

I’m 6’3 too and although I’ve had a tough time in Space Mountain (long legs), when I was in my twenties, I got stuck on the Runaway Train at SF Great Adventure in NJ… they had to shut the ride down and it took a team about 20 minutes to finally get me out…THAT was fun…lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is actually hilarious to me!

Up until last year I actually thought I hated Space Mountain because I always felt sick at the end of it.

It turned out I was making myself sick by crouching through the whole thing, as if being 6’3 was somehow dangerous for that ride. Now that I’ve forced myself to sit up straight I love it
It’s not that tight

But keeps the arms down…no joke

lazyboy97o

A reasonable accommodation to a guest’s disability that doesn’t fundamentally alter the company’s ability to provide goods and services to the rest of the public. The OP suggested these new accommodations would be struck down by a court.
That’s not specific guidelines or regulations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom