New DAK Continent?

RSoxNo1

Jim Hill did a listener questions show on the Magical Definition podcast this week and one of the questions pointedly asked about Animal Kingdom and Epcot. He said that nothing definitive is in the works for either park, but he did intimate that Soarin' Over the World is planned - it just takes a while to get the necessary permits for filming a project like that.

To me the biggest reason why Animal Kingdom and Epcot haven't seen expansion is the need for unique offerings at thos parks. There are no identical parks at other resorts so it's difficult to clone an attraction and bring it to either of those two parks without it failing to fit thematically.

JustInTime

What exactly has been taken out of context? The article concisely summarized a Disney blog post that stated Australia is coming to AK and some of the attractions that could be there are a Great Barrier Reef exhibit and a Killer Whale and/or Dolphin show. The same blog post author, John Frost, had this same rumor back in 2007. His source back in 2007 was 2 non-denials from his inside sources. Call me cynical but 2 people, no matter how well connected, telling me "You will have to wait and see!" is not what I would call irrefutable evidence.

Well, I could have read the blog incorrectly but all the "attractions" were merley his ideas. It didn't seem like he was saying this IS what is coming rather, what could be cool...while the news story made it seem like his ideas were offical. Please, correct me if I am worng. Reading all this is not easy on my phone. :)

GizmoDuck

Ahh yes I believe these plans were mentioned in the latest WikiLeaks cables...can't believe Disney kept this a secret so long, who knows how it will impact relations with neighboring theme parks. :lookaroun

I'm filing this under "i'll believe it when i see it". It'd love for it to be true, DAK is my favorite park to actually visit (Epcot is my favorite park in concept) and it definetely needs some attention especially now that HP is winning over guest's choice as an "extra day park".

However, this is nowhere concrete enough to get my hopes up just yet

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well, I could have read the blog incorrectly but all the "attractions" were merley his ideas. I didn't seem like he was saying this IS what is coming rather, what could be cool...please, correct me if I am worng. Reading all this is not easy on my phone. :)
At best the author of the WESH article did a poor job of conveying that the attractions concepts are that of the blog author and not Disney. Of course considering how long the Australia rumor has been going around it wouldn't surprise me if any of the information in the blog came from a position any higher than a front line CM.

From the WESH article said:
Attractions in the new area could include a whale or dolphin show and a marsupial exhibit, according to the blog.

From the Blog said:
They way I see it, Australia is the first step in realizing the final vision of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The park currently lacks any aquatic/sea-life exhibits. So picture a Great Barrier Reef exhibit and a Killer Whale and/or Dolphin show.

JustInTime

At best the author of the WESH article did a poor job of conveying that the attractions concepts are that of the blog author and not Disney. Of course considering how long the Australia rumor has been going around it wouldn't surprise me if any of the information in the blog came from a position any higher than a front line CM.

But the article is worded as if it's the #1 source for insider info. I totally feel like we are being shammed (would love for this to happen) either way. But the blog seemed more upfront to me. What news source whould use this as a story anyway? Lol

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
But the article is worded as if it's the #1 source for insider info. I totally feel like we are being shammed (would love for this to happen) either way. But the blog seemed more upfront to me. What news source whould use this as a story anyway? Lol

The local news sources in Orlando always seem to be desperate for any new theme parks news, especially for WDW. They seem to be willing to run just about any tidbit or innuendo, regardless of the source (or lack thereof) or the probability of the story.....

captainkidd

Well, if they can take this sort of hit......

9299f008cd9e1e725fd75f46a191807b_boxing-kangaroo.jpg

:ROFLOL:

It'd be like Austrailian - American Gladiators.

JustInTime

The local news sources in Orlando always seem to be desperate for any new theme parks news, especially for WDW. They seem to be willing to run just about any tidbit or innuendo, regardless of the source (or lack thereof) or the probability of the story.....

Really?! That is so odd to me! I guess I have never been a local, so that is why it seems odd. It's like the parks are celebs and the local news likes to report all the rumors. There should be theme park paparazzi!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Admittedly the WESH article is an abortion but the author of the blog certainly implies that Australia is going to be built. Of course for good measure he interjects the CYOA disclaimer "My usual philosophy with Disney projects is to not believe anything is for real until the day after it opens to the public." at the end.

It boggles the mind that any reputable news source would publish an article based solely on a blog post like this but sadly I am not surprised in the least. I have seen much more important subjects covered with far less credible information. I guess it is the price we pay for having 24/7 news stations.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You can just take that article and add the current year onto the end of it.

The article is also full of personal thoughts and not facts; the area is planned for eventual expansion, but the transit and walking situation is so wrong. As mentioned earlier, that land is what is left of the old tree farm and construction staging from when the park was built, not to mention the mid 90`s plans for Tiger River Run.

misterID

Jim Hill did a listener questions show on the Magical Definition podcast this week and one of the questions pointedly asked about Animal Kingdom and Epcot. He said that nothing definitive is in the works for either park, but he did intimate that Soarin' Over the World is planned - it just takes a while to get the necessary permits for filming a project like that.

To me the biggest reason why Animal Kingdom and Epcot haven't seen expansion is the need for unique offerings at thos parks. There are no identical parks at other resorts so it's difficult to clone an attraction and bring it to either of those two parks without it failing to fit thematically.

I really think Mysterious Island would fit perfectly. Mystic Manor would fit perfect there, too. But they'd have to wait years before cloning it from China.

I still think we should give Hong Kong M:S for the rights to use MM sooner. That's a fair trade. :lol:

jt04

I really think Mysterious Island would fit perfectly. Mystic Manor would fit perfect there, too. But they'd have to wait years before cloning it from China.

I still think we should give Hong Kong M:S for the rights to use MM sooner. That's a fair trade. :lol:

I love the idea of a Mystic Manor. Like every castle park should have a unique character castle, perhaps every Disney resort should have a SEA/AC attraction. A land based around this would be awesome for the CMM pad.

I did think of something. They could reimagine the exterior of the Nemo theater so that it blends with Asia/Everest. Then they could add a "Yeti Encounter" inside and move the Nemo show to the rumored Austrailia. That would work.:)

Actually, I guess they would need to build the new Nemo show first. Then the Yeti show.

raven

*waits for Lee and Raven to weigh in on this one*

My answer is the same as Master Yoda's:

Just a quick FYI....Most of you already know this but the area in red on the picture in the Disney Blog has been cleared since before AK opened in 1998.

This is another case of someone reading a few posts (or ideas) on message boards, believing it is true and running with it. Haven't we had numberous discussions about this on here? I think we know where they are gathing information from. :lol:

I have seen blue sky concepts for that area but it wasn't part of AK. The concept seemed to have been filed away though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom