New DAK Continent?

jhastings74

Original Poster
Courtesy of WESH news (and apologies if already posted somewhere else)...and anyone know why the 'byline' is from Winter Park and not Lake Buena Vista?:

http://www.wesh.com/r/25945064/detail.html

WINTER PARK, Fla. -- More expansion could be on the horizon at Walt Disney World, according to plans unearthed by a blog that covers the resort.

One of the biggest blogs that covers all of the theme park's happenings, The Disney Blog, reports that a new continent is planned for the Animal Kingdom.

The blog said workers have already started clearing land on an area that will eventually represent Australia.

Attractions in the new area could include a whale or dolphin show and a marsupial exhibit, according to the blog.

Disney is also in the process of expanding the Magic Kingdom. The company also recently unveiled images of the planned "Hyperion Wharf," which will replace its downtown "Pleasure Island" attraction.

To read more about the planned Australian expansion of the Magic Kingdom, visit The Disney Blog.

Atomicmickey

*waits for Lee and Raven to weigh in on this one*

Long rumored, of course. Would be cool, of course.

I do like the comment in the blog about waiting until the day after something opens to believe that it is real.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just a quick FYI....Most of you already know this but the area in red on the picture in the Disney Blog has been cleared since before AK opened in 1998.

IWant2GoNow

That would be interesting but seems like it shouldn't take too long to construct. I really can't see a whale show just because of how much similar it would be to SeaWorld and with the complications they've had with the whales. Not sure if Disney wants that responsibility. Dolphins on the other hand would probably draw a huge crowd and sell plenty of merchandise to all the little dolphin-loving girlies.

Would definitely rather have more rides though...

Lee

Adventurer
So far as I know, Australia is no closer now than it's ever been...which isn't all that close.
Problems I see with the article:
- Firstly, I've personally heard Joe Rohde deny Australia. True, it was years ago, but I don't imagine it's changed.
- The article sounds like someone who reads boards like these is trying to spin a story out of long-discussed rumors.
- Dolphin and killer whale shows? For Australia? Sounds kinda odd to me.
- All intel I have on AK would point toward future development over on the BK plot, not the big pad behind Asia. (Remember how Pocahantas closed up shop over there? There was a reason for that. Well....was a reason at the time)

jt04

If they are proposing using the millions it might cost to fix the Yeti to build a new land instead.......I approve! :sohappy::lol:

That said, I certainly hope WESH has at least two sources for this with one of them having a direct Disney connection. Otherwise this is just lazy reporting and would indicate the "legacy media" is in deeper trouble than I ever would have thought.

Hey folks at WESH, if this is just a fanboy pipedream/musings it might be worth keeping in mind the standards are much higher on this forum. You'd be much better of using this place as a source.

Anyway, all that said, I'm giving WESH the benefit of the doubt and I'm going to assume this has been sourced properly. I believe expansion is coming. It is just too bad the Nemo show is located where it is. Eisner :rolleyes::brick::lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just a quick FYI....Most of you already know this but the area in red on the picture in the Disney Blog has been cleared since before AK opened in 1998.

Yep thats right, along with a little work that was done around Asia's opening, but basically, its all been there for the last 10 years.

S

stphnbogert

I REALLY hope this is true. I would love to see a new land in Animal Kingdom. I'm hoping Disney really kicks up their game and works on the three parks.

floridabill

Why doesn't Animal kingdom ever get any lovin??

It has been years since everest, and they never even gave the place a new attraction for it's anniversary. So why is it that the park that needs the most help and the most attendance never gets attention?? you would think they would have pumped up that park to make it great, so why not?? anyone have an idea as to why?

captainkidd

I heard they're going to build an auditorium similar to the American Idol Experience. It will be a competition where guests can box Kangaroos. The daily winners will be given front of the line access to audition for the UFC.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I heard they're going to build an auditorium similar to the American Idol Experience. It will be a competition where guests can box Kangaroos. The daily winners will be given front of the line access to audition for the UFC.

Well, if they can take this sort of hit......

9299f008cd9e1e725fd75f46a191807b_boxing-kangaroo.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You guys need to read the blog that was quoted. A lot of that stuff was taken out of context. Google it.
What exactly has been taken out of context? The article concisely summarized a Disney blog post that stated Australia is coming to AK and some of the attractions that could be there are a Great Barrier Reef exhibit and a Killer Whale and/or Dolphin show. The same blog post author, John Frost, had this same rumor back in 2007. His source back in 2007 was 2 non-denials from his inside sources. Call me cynical but 2 people, no matter how well connected, telling me "You will have to wait and see!" is not what I would call irrefutable evidence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom