New Crypt Queue in Haunted Mansion-What do you think?

raven

I don't get this whole optional thing.... how do they manage it meeting back up with the main queue? when people are done playing around do they just line back up? I would have thought that this new interactive area was set up perfectly to allow the main queue to walk through it which will also ease up on the line flooding out into Liberty Square whenever there is a storm of people getting into line. If you didn't want to play with the interactive elements, fine, just don't touch them, but if you're waiting in line for the attraction I don't really want the option to wait longer in another queue, and can't some people use it to kind of get rush past some people in the normal line?

I guess I'll have to wait until I see it in person...I was just imagining something a little more involved than the SM interactive elements we have today....

Currently it's set up as a 2nd queue line. If you choose to go that way it's actually a path (queue) through the graveyard and you aren't just milling about. There is a merge near the old graveyard. It looks like it could possibly be used as the normal queue for longer wait periods. Much better than Space Mountain's interactive queue. This is perfect for a little pre-insight on what is in store once inside the doors. :wave:

thelookingglass

Ehhh... its neat and all, but I do feel like it has turned what should be more of an unsettlingly quiet queue into a noisy arcade. The transition from eerie tranquility outside to the haunting inside worked better at setting the mood of the attraction. It also kind of kills the original flow in how you start out with no supernatural activity and slowly you see more and more, until finally the séance causes them all to physically manifest and the mansion erupts into a supernatural rambunctious party.

Yes, I'm aware there is no real story. But theres a flow to the attraction, and this throws it off. A perfect flow, I might add, that seems to be lost in ride designs of today. The way you start with seeing no ghosts, to hints at supernatural activity, to floating candles and knocking doors, which builds up to the huge, awesome reveal of the ballroom scene is perfect.

This kind of noisy, silly, hands on stuff worked perfectly for Pooh, but put me in with the "it doesn't quite belong at Haunted Mansion" crowd. But I guess it doesn't matter, as 99% of guests will never look this far into it and are happy as long as they can touch stuff to make things happen. Soo, whatever.

Again.....it is just a theme park attraction!

Wrong.

It's a work of art (gasp!) that has been besmirched with a playground designed to keep the attention of impatient and uninterested park guests who need bubbles and squirting water to keep their eyes averted from smart phones. Also, it doesn't serve it's functional purpose of making the wait in the line easier to bear; the bulk of the wait will happen before the playground.

Frankly, I'm amazed this is getting such a positive response on here. What is fun is not always good.

thelookingglass

^ I agree, and its a shame that simply being in WDW, enjoying the sights, and having a conversation with your friends/family in line isn't enough anymore.

I mean, yeah, I'll admit that most of the recent activities they have added to queues makes sense, especially in the case of Soarin' where the line is excruciatingly slow and boring. But did Haunted Mansion really even need this? Its queue tends to be shorter than everything else in the park.

Malvito

Nothing about this addition to a queue ... which is a line, thank you Jerm ... is anywhere near as alarming as the utter lack of perspective surrounding it.

HBG2

Is it a big deal? Consider:

From 1969 until this month, the HM has always been this:

A representation of the real world, today, with the sole difference that ghosts and ghostly activity are real, all kinds of ghosts, both "serious" ghosts and the made-up-for-fun ghosts of comic songs, etc.

At WDW, as of this month, the HM is this:

A representation of a make-believe world, a world where you find cartoony characters, sea serpents, etc., and in addition, ghosts happen to be real.

It should be obvious to anyone that that is a fundamental change in the nature of the show. WDW has jumped the shark, and there's no going back. It is now a different ride (and considerably less interesting, IMO). No one should be surprised that there are some who are very, very unhappy about this.

Thrill

Again.....it is just a theme park attraction!

The Mona Lisa is just a painting. Would it be acceptable for someone to vandalize that? The Haunted Mansion is just as much a work of art as the Mona Lisa, in my eyes. It may be in a theme park setting, but that doesn't take away the countless hours of work that it took to design and construct it with such great attention to detail.

Mansion Butler

it should be obvious to anyone that that is a fundamental change in the nature of the show. Wdw has jumped the shark, and there's no going back. It is now a different ride (and considerably less interesting, imo). No one should be surprised that there are some who are very, very unhappy about this.
:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SeaCastle

Is it a big deal? Consider:

From 1969 until this month, the HM has always been this:

A representation of the real world, today, with the sole difference that ghosts and ghostly activity are real, all kinds of ghosts, both "serious" ghosts and the made-up-for-fun ghosts of comic songs, etc.

At WDW, as of this month, the HM is this:

A representation of a make-believe world, a world where you find cartoony characters, sea serpents, etc., and in addition, ghosts happen to be real.

It should be obvious to anyone that that is a fundamental change in the nature of the show. WDW has jumped the shark, and there's no going back. It is now a different ride (and considerably less interesting, IMO). No one should be surprised that there are some who are very, very unhappy about this.

So they add some interactive props to the line and the whole ride is less interesting and different? Can you expand on that idea?

Mansion Butler

I guess if logical argument is unavailable to you, making funny little faces will have to do.
The logical argument is simply that it's a subjective issue that some will like and some will not. Clearly, many do. There is not an objective right or wrong. If you don't want to like it, you certainly don't have to.

But if you say something funny, I'm going to laugh.

Rich1

I find the opinions of the Debbie downers in these forums hysterical! I will say that 99.9% of the guests that visit the parks don't echo a lot of the dumb opinions like the ones in this thread that are hating on a LIIINNNEE! Get off your high horse and enjoy some new things in life. I'm sorry but guests expect sensory overload...and they should be getting it. The attraction isn't ruined..its been improved...kept its charm and utilized some current technology. You know folks...its ok for new technology to come into the parks. Don't be scared.

thelookingglass

I find the opinions of the Debbie downers in these forums hysterical! I will say that 99.9% of the guests that visit the parks don't echo a lot of the dumb opinions like the ones in this thread that are hating on a LIIINNNEE! Get off your high horse and enjoy some new things in life. I'm sorry but guests expect sensory overload...and they should be getting it. The attraction isn't ruined..its been improved...kept its charm and utilized some current technology. You know folks...its ok for new technology to come into the parks. Don't be scared.
And they also could have plussed the line without turning it into a tacky hands-on arcade. Or better yet, they could have put the money and effort this cost to better use like fixing or changing the attractions that are actually broken, rather than attempting to plus an already perfect attraction.

Just because YOU don't get why subtle details in everything at WDW are important, doesn't mean people who don't like this change are stupid.

To tell those of us who don't like it to get off our "high horse" is quite hypocritical of you, especially considering your tone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom