New Crypt Queue in Haunted Mansion-What do you think?

Krack

That's who I wish we could hear from, Marc and Claude.

Marc Davis comments on ride exterior:

There was no mistaking the art direction from Walt about the exterior. "I asked Walt if he didn't want the outside of the house to look more like Charles Addams, and he said, "No! I want it pristine. I want to show people that we take care of things at Disneyland. You can do what you want on the inside - but let's keep the outside clean and nice for the people." Like all the tombstones and the hearse outside now - Walt would have never wanted that!"

WDWGoof07

Well, this is where I must get off the bus, even though the ride has been fun. I simply can't believe those busts could seriously be understood as constituting an implied threat to the viewer. This is where the "oscillation" would be indispensable. If, for example, the Twins or Florence looked calm and normal one minute and somehow morphed into their current state, then I could see someone taking them as threatening. As it is, they're just some ornery-looking busts, like Aunt Lucretia in the Mansion, who is not really threatening until she turns and follows you. And Bertie, with his pet sea serpent, is simply not scary. (And it is his pet, evidently; he looks happy enough with it coiled around him, and according to the plaque he died of gunshot.)
Bertie doesn't look particularly jolly. If you ask me, the grin on his face is a smirk of the unfriendly variety. And if the serpent is his pet, all it means is that the bust could be mimicking a grim fate for you, like villains in movies who give a cutting gesture across their throats to demonstrate the harm to come upon the good guy if they step out of line.

Even when the upper half of the Stretching Room was kept dark after you see the corpse in the attic, there was no quick oscillation between warped and normal there like on the ride itself. The transformation is gradual. If those portraits can be taken as implied threats, I think the queue busts can be, too, if you believe that the busts could have been altered prior to your arrival.

Scar

Agreed. I think Phantom Manor in Paris is much more inline with what the average person would think of when you talk about a "haunted mansion".

Now THAT is one crazy trip of a ride. Starts out familiar but ends up going through decomposed bodies and eventually a bizzaro version of the Wild West. A definite can't miss at Disneyland Paris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom