New country pavilion at Epcot?

which country would you most like to see added to the WS?

• Australia

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Brazil

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Egypt

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • Greece

Votes: 42 21.9%
  • India

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Ireland

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Israel

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Russia

Votes: 30 15.6%
  • Thailand

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foolish1

You will notice the current two leading candidates are Greece and Russia.

But why?

It all comes down to this: It's not between Greece and Russia... this poll is between the Parthenon and St. Basil's Cathedral...

(if you want to include Australia and Egypt, it's also between the Sydney Opera House and the Giza Necropolis)....

Architecture.

I very much like your thinking here. Some great choices for icons (weenies) to build. However, you have to also take into account food, tourism to the areas, political climate and stability, obviously food, the countries willingness to help Disney find people to work at the pavilion, and what on earth would there to be to see and do inside of the attraction. I know that Disney had done some preliminary planning for a rollercoaster type of ride through for Russia when they were still pursuing that as a pavilion option. Remember, rollercoasters more or less started in Russia as mining trains. As long as it wasn't just a thrill ride, it could be a very nice attraction.

One thing I think that has been overlooked is the middle-east. Which would be why I would push for one pavilion from Turkey/Jordan/Egypt. (Pick one.)
Jordan has the temp Al Khazneh at Petra (used in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade), Turkey has the temple Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, and Egypt I don't think I need to say much about as everyone else has already.

Anyway, so the keys to designing an attraction would include external architecture, something to see/do inside which could be movie, ride, museum, culture which is disimilar enough from both America/USA and other attractions already at EPCOT Center, and some sort of interesting food culture. Politically/economically Disney would want a stable country, one that won't draw lots of protests to EPCOT Center, a country willing to kick in some funding, also willing to help in recruiting students to work there, probably at least a couple companies willing to help in getting genuine trinkets there for sale, and of course chefs and restaurant people to help guide in restaurant setup and planning.

I am not that familiar with Brasil, so I'm not sure what sort of architecture and what sort of history Brasil may have to offer for either a museum or ride of sorts. But so far, Greece, Russia, India, Egypt, Jordan, Turkey and Australia/New Zealand all sound like great ideas to me. Diversity would be a key to this too.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I voted for Greece for the historical, architectural and cultural contributions. I think it would be a wonderful visual, gastronomic and cultural addition, different from what is currently present.

For similar reasons, I would also be very happy with Russia, India and Thailand would also provide very different and beautiful perspectives.

While all of the countries are special, I don't see a major cultural difference or architectural distinction in what would be offered from Brazil, Australia or Ireland. The others I'm on the fence with.

maryszhi

its such a hard decision:
i first would choose ireland cause im irish and an irish dancer(im also italin, but they alredy have italy)
then i would choose poland b/c my best friends are polish
then spain cause that is where my cousin lives
then greece b/c its pretty
then russia,
then india
then all the other countries that i cannot think of
i think they should make an australian part to animal kingdom , then they would have asia, africa, and the americas!!!

EpcotGrl

Wasn't Israel set to be one of the original countries back in 82? I seem to remember reading something like that...

Anyway, I'd love to see Russia. I'm in love with the country but have yet to go there. I've literally had dreams where I watch IllumiNations from "Red Square" :)

Greece would be my second, but Russia is way out ahead! :D

GO DAWGS!

I personally think that any new pavillion would be a wonderful and much needed addition to WS! :sohappy: I'm excited about the prospects!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Wasn't Israel set to be one of the original countries back in 82? I seem to remember reading something like that...

Anyway, I'd love to see Russia. I'm in love with the country but have yet to go there. I've literally had dreams where I watch IllumiNations from "Red Square" :)

Greece would be my second, but Russia is way out ahead! :D

Yes, and for some time there was an actual sign between France and Morocco indicating that that would be it's location.

daverube

Although there are some good choices out there, Spain makes the most sense to me. Historically, it was a world power and helped advance ship building. Socially, there isn't any other restaurant in the parks that I can think of that serves Tapas or Tapas like dishes. Spain has their own wine regions/types that are not made anywhere else in the world.

my 2 cents....

dave

aladdin2007

Here is a photo for the person who posted and said they dream of watching Illuminations from the Red Square if Russia were built. I hope this photo works here, anyway it would be incredible. The concept art is from Disney Imagineering Publicity, posted in a Jim Hill article back in 04. If only this came to be!!:sohappy: wow
concept02.jpg

concept01.jpg

Eyorefan

I voted for Greece because I love greek food. (I know I think with my stomach).

But I agree that I think it would be cool to see South America represented somewhere. And after seeing the pictures, I am really intregued by the idea of a Russia.

Magicfinder

I would love to see Israel. Sadly, I don't think it will happen because of security risks. However, it would be great to have a replica of the old city and temple mount as it currently stands (w/wailing wall & dome on the rock).

cdatkins

There's no doubt that an Egyptian pavilion, in the hands of the Imagineers, would be visually stunning. However, we already have Morocco which, while not identical, is culturally similar to Eqypt in some ways.

So I voted for Israel, on the grounds that it would provide more cultural distinction than anything else on the list. I like the idea of Spain, Russia, etc., but Europe is already well represented.

I like the idea of India too (Taj Mahal would be awesome in the WS) but we already have 2 other Asian countries represented.

BRER STITCH

I skimmed through all these posts rather quickly, and I don't agree that it is all about the architecture at all!

In fact, I am surprised that nobody thought about it in terms of which new ATTRACTION would go thematically along with a new country. It's not going to build traffic if there is nothing to do but look at some faux buildings. So, who's got the best potential for the coolest new ride???? :shrug:

P.S. If you want Egypt, just go to Vegas and stay at the Luxor. It's fantastic, and even Disney could never match the scale and accuracy of those recreations! At Epcot, any attempt at Egypt would always be thought of as "LUXOR Wannabe" to many travelers!

Lucky

Original Poster
I voted for Greece for the historical, architectural and cultural contributions. I think it would be a wonderful visual, gastronomic and cultural addition, different from what is currently present.
I agree. India was a close second to me, for some of the same reasons plus being such an incredibly large and important country. But I recognize the argument that it is already (thinly) represented in AK.

As others have noted, which country if any actually gets added depends in part on the country's interest in it. Morocco would have rated near the bottom in any poll like this one, but it wanted a pavilion and its tourism ministry was heavily involved. I assume something similar happened with Norway.

I would vote for Greece, they could use Mt Olympia as the icon in the background, and use it as a cover for a dark ride inside about greek mythology. THey could also use this as a location to build a greek theatre so we can have another perfomance place in the world showcase, where thy could display some real theatre in the WOrld:) I would love greece!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I skimmed through all these posts rather quickly, and I don't agree that it is all about the architecture at all!

In fact, I am surprised that nobody thought about it in terms of which new ATTRACTION would go thematically along with a new country. It's not going to build traffic if there is nothing to do but look at some faux buildings. So, who's got the best potential for the coolest new ride???? :shrug:

P.S. If you want Egypt, just go to Vegas and stay at the Luxor. It's fantastic, and even Disney could never match the scale and accuracy of those recreations! At Epcot, any attempt at Egypt would always be thought of as "LUXOR Wannabe" to many travelers!

I would vote for Greece, they could use Mt Olympia as the icon in the background, and use it as a cover for a dark ride inside about greek mythology. THey could also use this as a location to build a greek theatre so we can have another perfomance place in the world showcase, where thy could display some real theatre in the WOrld:) I would love greece!

Or the dark ride could be inside a giant wooden horse.

Ask and you shall receive!
Honestly I would be more interested in "visiting" the country and dining. Rides are great, but I really don't care about them in world showcase. Leave it in other parts of the park or at MGM...er...Disney Studios where they need help.

But if you want,
There could be a mummy ride in Egypt...:lookaroun
I like the idea of a Greek Mythology/Bestiary (While it's not quite what we could have at AK :()
Russia would be a sleighride coaster
India....hmmm, maybe an Everest coaster...:zipit:

I may be old and boring, but I would enjoy good movies of the countries as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom