New Countries Being Added to Epcot?

KCheatle

Original Poster
Awhile back, there was discussion of 3 new countries being added to Epcot. With the Fanstasyland expansion has that been pushed to the side? Are there any other plans for updating Epcot?

Enchantâmes

Awhile back, there was discussion of 3 new countries being added to Epcot. With the Fanstasyland expansion has that been pushed to the side? Are there any other plans for updating Epcot?
That do you mean pushed to the side? Its the main project for WDW for the next 2 years, and there are plans for new countries, they're just not going to be built or considered in the foreseeable future.

zooey

It's never as simple as just "Hey let's build a country." The governments of that country have to be willing to finance it.

Bravo 229

There are always plans, hundreds of them! And when the right sponsor presents itself, we will see something new come to Epcot.

The FLE wouldn't have affected plans for a new country coming to World Showcase, because as stated above, the capital for a new country project is provided by the host country - the FLE is most likely funded right out of Disney's pocket.

zooey

:

:ROFLOL:

Imo..they should focus on making future world.... Ummm...futuristic:rolleyes:

Accelerating change, or the rate at which technology develops and progresses makes the exhibition of anything considered "futuristic" more and more difficult and not suitable for multi-million dollar attractions in a theme park environment.

raven

As you know I chime in on things if I have any information about a certain topic that I can give hints about. And here is another little insight that is probably going to spark a lot of conversation and speculation but try not to loose too many brain cells figuring it out because it's all blue sky.

New country concepts? Yes. Are there plans to go forward with one? Nothing as of now.

Here's the deal though. If a new country would be added to World Showcase, more than likely it would replace an existing country.

I know everyone can see where there would be plenty of room between the current countries but those areas were planned to be buffer zones and they really want to keep them that way. One of these obviously large areas is between the African outpost and Germany; however, that area is very shallow near the rear of the African outpost due to the marina backstage. One other problem developing this area is the propane and pyrotechnic storage area for Illuminations is directly behind this plot of land (a huge safety issue). If anything would go here at all it would have to be directly across the backstage gate access next to Germany and be a very small pavilion.

World Showplace (once know as Millenium Village) is not an option any more. This is because they utilize it more for private parties, events and other offerings, partially because it's the only one of it's size that is actually in a Disney park. Currently it's used 1 or more times a week right now but often has 3 or more events per week. This building also added a HUGE kitchen and event storage area when it was transformed into World Showplace. This kitchen is where they cook and cater all private events around the entire WDW property. So it is used every single day and it teaming with activity.

Having stated those issue the only other option is to completely swap out an existing country for a new one. Yes, that can happen and they have looked into it. This may also be the reason why nothing has been pushed forward yet from TDO.

If a new country would be added, WDI is pushing for an attraction to be included to it as well. There are several concepts for one certain country that would be a nice addition to World Showcase with an D or E-ticket attraction. These concepts are a couple of years old but aren't filed away just yet.

So the idea is definately out there. I just don't see it happening soon enough.

PorterRedkey

Wow! You rock Raven!

I am new to the boards, but your post are always so informative!:sohappy: Thanks for all of the info and hints!

My guess is a new Spain pavillion to replace Morocco.:shrug: Sound like any change will be awhile though.

redkoala245

3 new countries?!?! Are you sure?
According to most of the rumors I have heard, it was to remove one of the current countries and create another one. The country that is supposed to be removed and the country that is supposed to replace it is based on guest surveys.
Plus I think Epcot does not have enough space to add 3 countries along with the current 11 countries in World Showcase.
I agree with Raven's thoughts. :)

David S.

Here's the deal though. If a new country would be added to World Showcase, more than likely it would replace an existing country.

I believe this, because they were taking surveys awhile back about which WS country would people most not mind seeing leave.

Good points about the Millennium Village and area near the Illuminations backstage area. The International Gateway, of course, also eliminates what was once a possible plot between UK and France.

What about the plots between Mexico and Norway, Germany and Italy, Japan and Morocco, and Morocco and France?
I know you said they are "buffer zones," but I've read several places that WS was designed to have 19 plots. Norway and China use back to back plots without a "buffer zone", as do Italy, USA, and Japan, and those seem to work fine aesthetically.

Not to be argumentative (as you are just the messenger) but wouldn't replacing a country kind of go against the all-inclusive theme of goodwill and brotherhood that World Showcase represents? Plus, it seems like this could cause potential bad PR.

When attractions are replaced now, there is usually an argument that some fans make that they are "outdated". But how can a country be "outdated"? ;)

Chef Mickey

I feel they need India or Nepal.

Countries like Norway are cool, but don't really represent large populations of the world, such as India. I mean, over a billion people live there.

I understand all the politics...I'm just stating my wish.

Alektronic

I know everyone can see where there would be plenty of room between the current countries but those areas were planned to be buffer zones and they really want to keep them that way. One of these obviously large areas is between the African outpost and Germany; however, that area is very shallow near the rear of the African outpost due to the marina backstage. One other problem developing this area is the propane and pyrotechnic storage area for Illuminations is directly behind this plot of land (a huge safety issue). If anything would go here at all it would have to be directly across the backstage gate access next to Germany and be a very small pavilion.

Sorry, I'm going to have disagree with you with that one. There is plenty of room behind Africa, they could almost fit in 2 countries if they wanted to and it wouldn't affect the Marina or the Entertainment compound. Just because they have a lot of temporary buildings and structures doesn't mean they can't be moved.

There is room between Mexico and Norway, Africa, between Germany and Italy, Japan and Morocco, and Morocco and France.

So there is plenty room for expansion and plenty of different plans for expansion, but of course, it will cost a lot of money so it is a long way off unless of course, someone is paying for it. So chances are slim to none.

raven

Sorry, I'm going to have disagree with you with that one. There is plenty of room behind Africa, they could almost fit in 2 countries if they wanted to and it wouldn't affect the Marina or the Entertainment compound. Just because they have a lot of temporary buildings and structures doesn't mean they can't be moved.

No buildings are back there due to the safety issue that I already mentioned. The area backstage here is used for a staging area for trees and shrubs for this very reason. This is not an option. If it was they would've put another country in a long time ago.

Hummer1676

There are plans aready out about Russia, Switzerland, and Africa. They may not be used but they are already out there. I am sure that there are even more out there that we aren't aware of. I am sure that we will hear of something soon as Epcot is in need of some attention as it hasn't had an update in quite sometime. Epcot recieved mission space, Animal kingdom got Everest and now MK got the new fantasyland. I would expect either hollywood studios or Epcot to get some love next.

rkelly42

There are plans aready out about Russia, Switzerland, and Africa. They may not be used but they are already out there. I am sure that there are even more out there that we aren't aware of. I am sure that we will hear of something soon as Epcot is in need of some attention as it hasn't had an update in quite sometime. Epcot recieved mission space, Animal kingdom got Everest and now MK got the new fantasyland. I would expect either hollywood studios or Epcot to get some love next.
First of all Africa is a continent and not a country, and second it is already represented in AK so there is no way it will be added to Epcot. There are a lot of ideas floating around and to speculate on one country or another is just not possible, the only definite is that you will not see an Iran or North Korea.

JustInTime

First of all Africa is a continent and not a country, and second it is already represented in AK so there is no way it will be added to Epcot. There are a lot of ideas floating around and to speculate on one country or another is just not possible, the only definite is that you will not see an Iran or North Korea.

Actually, Africa was seriously considered for a country in Epcot. There is concept art here if you want to see it:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/05/art-of-walt-disney-world-review.html

CarlHS

Sorry NO, on the “there's no room left for counties”.

Some slots were left as "buffers" only because they did not “sell” all the slots and did not want all the countries piled up on one side of the park. There have always been 19 pads (12 of which are used and 7 remain). In fact, the Africa slot or the one between it and Germany are the most like to be used next as that is to only place where two “unused” pads are adjacent to each other. Some exceptions apply (EX: Switzerland was to have gone next to Germany to facilitate the Matterhorn lending atmosphere to both pavilions).

If there was no room left, why would they have attempted to sell countries like Russia, Spain, Switzerland, Africa group, etc. the spaces? If a country gets serious and wants either of the slots between the Africa Refreshment stand and Germany, they will take it, and relocate the temporary facilities there to the other side of the service road or another unused pad maintaining the appropriate safety procedures.

The only way they will remove a country, is if the country decides to leave. Since rent/maintenance now is much less than the upfront costs they invested in their slots, it is extremely unlikely that any country will leave (short of fiscal collapse), and it would not surprise me that there was some insurance requirements to provide funding for these types of contingencies.

In short: Disney will not evict a country to replace it with another!

Hummer1676

South Africa to be correct. There were plans and drawings and even a sign up at epcot at one time. Just like you said it represents a continent in Animal Kingdom and would be represented at Epcot with South Africa. Don't exclude it yet, things are always on the drawing board.

danpam1024

Accelerating change, or the rate at which technology develops and progresses makes the exhibition of anything considered "futuristic" more and more difficult and not suitable for multi-million dollar attractions in a theme park environment.

Totally agree, thats why that area needs reimagined alltogether.

rkelly42

Ahh.. well South Africa makes more sense, and I am sure it was thrown around for an idea but I just can not imagine it happening now that Africa is represented in AK, but anything is possible. I really do not hold out any hope that we will see a new country added anytime soon, and I would really hate to see a country replaced because that would be a tough decision. I am no disney expert or insider, I just go on my gut feeling on what makes sense, not that everything disney does makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom