New costume for Star Tours

flavious27

OK,

Here is a question that pertains not just to Star Wars, but all "futureistic" media. Why, in the future, does everyone dress alike. Not just workers in a particular function, but the general population as well?

Star Tours is basicly an airport of the future. Look around the airport the next time you are there. Gate and ticket agents dress in a similar, but not identical, fashon. Most wear a company vest, cardigan, or something along those line. Ramp workers wear pretty much what they want.

In my company, we have a dress code for our techs, and we encourage them to were a logoed shirt, but it is not required and there is no uniform.

I would think that people working as gate and ticket agents in a Star Wars spaceport (which I assume is what these CM's represent, gate and ticket agents) would wear the future version of "civillian" dress pants (pick some sort of "Star Warsy" style), and then a company top. Choose a plain tunic, and then provide a vest / cardigan / overtunic in some sort of snappy design, slap the logo of United Space Lines on it, and then slap a United Space Lines logo on the shuttle.

To enhance the experience, tell every 5th group that their shuttle has been delayed and they will have to go stand-by on the next one. When they get off, they find that any luggage they had has been mistakenly re-routed to Sea World.

-dave

Later editions of star trek have some variety with civilan attire, these are some of the costumes of the ferengi on deep space nine.

FerengiGroup2e.jpg

(that is not me)

AEfx

That place where they still rely on impressing you with innovative attractions and experiences rather than relying on nostalgia and marketing promotions.

Sad, but so, so true. So, so, so true.

Every time there is a "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!" it's "We are putting pictures of people on the castle/in a mural/on Mars" not, "This is going to be the biggest, greatest attraction ever created!" Say what you will, Universal has the two top theme park attractions in existence. Disney hasn't added anything of that scale in decades. (If anyone mentions Everest the force of my rolling eyes will knock you unconscious.)

Eh, same difference.

OK, so in any society that is more technologicaly advanced than ours, everyone wears the same clothes.

Better ?

-dave

Philosophical Answer:

Because the hope is that someday we get beyond petty, silly things like fashion and focus time and energy on more important things.

Self-expression is great, but some people spend way too much time on it - spending time on how they look and not who they are (people often confuse the two). So in the future it's hoped that people can move beyond wondering "How do I look in this?" and instead focus on being a whole person and not just a meat sack who's value is in how much their clothing cost.

Practical Answer:

Because most sci-fi movies, and especially TV shows, are done on such a reduced budget that is already stretched paying for sets, aliens, and special effects, it's a whole lot easier and cheaper to throw everyone in pajamas and just be done with it.

elisatonks

It'll be interview-only for the opening crew, but after that, it'll be like the other attractions, and will be run by whoever Disney happens to put there.

And congrats! :wave: Hopefully you weren't one of the people hating on the costume... I think it's cool, and the untucked shirt is a major bonus! :)

I'm def looking forward to the untucked shirt!!! I think they look better on females anyway. lol

Elenadc

Anyone know anything about the Merch costumes? Are they going to be the same? I'm really looking forward to the lack of ankle elastic on the new costumes...

RAXIP

Anyone know anything about the Merch costumes? Are they going to be the same? I'm really looking forward to the lack of ankle elastic on the new costumes...

Merchandise will have similar costumes, but the shirt will be different. There are pics on thesitewhichmustnotbenamed/archives/6776

TOTGuy

The same question applies to all styles. Why is Tomorrowland expected to have one big, singular style and color scheme?
Because during the day CMs rotate to several different attractions. I.E. Stitch/TTA/Astro or Buzz/COP. As such they have to have a costume which can work at all of the attractions.
That being said, I don't know why Space Mountain doesn't have it's own costume.

mrpygmypuff

What the !!!!

I guess I was expecting more, Star Wars has so many great costumes to draw from, why go with something that is so Star Trek....
It doesn't help that the employee costumes at Wizarding World of Harry Potter are so detailed and look like they came from the movies....
Disney needs to get back to what made us all love them so much, THEMING!!!

thelookingglass

^ But in comparison, almost every other costume at Universal sucks.... Disney's are hit or miss, but at least a lot of them are elaborate.

^^ Off the top of my head, Space Mountain is the only major attraction that doesn't have its own costume, which is weird.

Thrill Seeker

^ But in comparison, almost every other costume at Universal sucks.... Disney's are hit or miss, but at least a lot of them are elaborate.

^^ Off the top of my head, Space Mountain is the only major attraction that doesn't have its own costume, which is weird.

Splash Mountain shares it's costume with TSI and Country Bears...

TP2000

Off the top of my head, Space Mountain is the only major attraction that doesn't have its own costume, which is weird.

And even weirder because it does have its own costume at Disneyland, with various jackets and coats and shirts and blouses that all have the Space Mountain logo on them. You can see the Space Mountain logo patch on the jacket the hostess is wearing here. So it's not like there isn't a template and design work already done for a Space Mountain uniform that WDW could use. :confused:

Disneyland Space Mountain Host and Hostess
3561583815_f481f0b0f7_b.jpg

Neverland

Because during the day CMs rotate to several different attractions. I.E. Stitch/TTA/Astro or Buzz/COP. As such they have to have a costume which can work at all of the attractions.
That being said, I don't know why Space Mountain doesn't have it's own costume.

This is actually common practice in MK. Fantasyland attractions all have the same thing, Country Bears, TSI, and Splash share a costume, half the attractions in AL have the same costume, and absolutely every CM in Toontown wore the same thing. It's because there are so many small attractions in MK; CMs have to work multiple rides because they require so few people at each one, and they've gotta be able to move seamlessly between their attractions. I've got three rides, and at the bare minimum, only 6 people are needed to run them. 2, 3, and 1.

My attractions are all in a row, and guests 'follow' me through rotation all the time. They do a double take and go "Weren't you just at that other ride?? Do you have a twin??? Am I crazy?!" :lol:

mrpygmypuff

elaborate?!?!? what costumes do you think are elaborate?

thelookingglass

The vast majority of CM costumes at WDW are more elaborate than Universal's. If you don't agree, then you're not paying close enough attention.

For the record, I'm not a Universal basher either on here like a lot of posters are.

DisneyParksFan

For example: the Parade Audience Control costumes for MK feature the original Walt Disney World logo, the Magic Kingdom logo, and Cinderella Castle all on each button.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom