New Coaster

bdearl41

Original Poster
Listen I enjoy EE and RNR! A Lot! But at the same time, EE is a glorified woody with one drop and no air time, Dollywood has four coasters that are better. And RNR is just a better themed version of The Outer Limits coasters at the Paramount parks. Verbolten at BGW is a great example of what I am talking about. Do something that hasnt been done on the roller coaster front (Spare me SDMT, ride vehicle will not be that exciting). I understand that Disney doesnt want huge coasters ruining sight lines, but look at what Alton Towers has been able to do with Nemesis, Air, and Oblivion, all of which are ride designs that could be themed into a multitude of Disney attractions. Think, an Aladdin flying carpet coaster, or a Brave, riding through the forest coaster. These do take up footprints, but could be places on the exteriors of the park, like POC and SM are at MK. Give me a Jungle Book coaster running through the jungle with speed, airtime, and some inversions.

bdearl41

Original Poster
I don't frequent the official Disney site like I used to but when I did they have attractions sectioned by age. I think what they are trying to say is that they have something for everyone. It seems like when they build something they have a crowd in mind and it seems to me that the young adult, teenagers, and pre teen crowd is over looked.As a result they lose those dollars to Universal. Every ride does not have to be a coaster but one more wouldn't hurt.

THIS IS EXACTLY MY POINT! It doesnt need to be Kings Dominion, but a good scary coaster at each park would give some incentive, and also that one ride your 12 year old has to work themselves up to when they attend.

Redsky89

A big fast roller coaster would be cool. But when I think Disney I don't think that. I think Hershey Park and Kings Dominion and other ghetto fabulous parks up my way. What makes Disney coasters special isn't the speed or how many back flip's into corkscrew nose dives you do but the theme and feel of the ride instead. Theme makes a simple sounding ride into more then a ride. Its a experience.

cheezbat

A big fast roller coaster would be cool. But when I think Disney I don't think that. I think Hershey Park and Kings Dominion and other ghetto fabulous parks up my way. What makes Disney coasters special isn't the speed or how many back flip's into corkscrew nose dives you do but the theme and feel of the ride instead. Theme makes a simple sounding ride into more then a ride. Its a experience.

I agree...

It is a shame that Disney isn't willing to give us a few more thrilling coasters. I for one thought the Tron lightcycle coaster would be perfect for the MK...as well as the once proposed Fire Mountain coaster.

Add the Monsters Inc coaster to the Studios and some type of looping coaster in a mountain at DAK and I think there'd be quite a few more happy fanboy thrill seekers.

Contrast

I want the heavily rumored Monsters Inc door coaster, I think it would be a great addition. Personally not a fan of Monsters Inc laugh floor. Also a roller coaster based on either WALL-E or Up would be good, two of Pixar's biggest hits in recent movies. I actually think a WALL-E ride would be a perfect fit for Futureland in the place of the Stich ride.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Forget the coasters. Bring us the chocolate factory tour. Always the highlight of my trips to Hershey Park. It could fit into Epcot somewhere maybe...

bdearl41

Original Poster
A big coaster attraction in each park is also a people eater! That reduces wait times on other rides! Better day for everyone.

rufio

I agree on the concept of Disney World needing another thrilling coaster, but certainly not a barebones coaster. It would have to be properly themed and family friendly. However, since everest, there hasn't been a major thrill ride added in the parks and I believe that it's hurting the teenage demographic. RNRC, TOT, TT and EE are great rides but becoming dated. That would be the main reason for a new coaster, but it would eat up any budget for other projects. Thats the reason it will probably be a while before anything of this matter is announced and adressed.

I disagree that the WDW thrill rides are dated. TT is currently undergoing refurb and EE and TOT are just excellent rides (with or without working yeti). I could see RNRC becoming dated before the others solely based on the fact that they are Aerosmith-related. Hopefully they will be timeless... A new thrill ride would be great, but it isn't necessary, in my opinion. I love the dark rides and the theming in general at WDW. I never think about coasters.

olinecoach61

I wouldn't mind a new coaster, as long as its themed we'll and fits into the park. I wouldn't want so of these steel monstrosities that occupy my local 6 flags.

chrissyw14

Both loch ness monster and the big bad wolf are great examples of roller coasters which Disney can take on with themeing,even alpanguast would be along the lines of EE , the loch ness monster queue has EE museum elements to it. It is clearly possible for Disney to create a thrilling and great themed ride, they just need to do it!

invader

Both loch ness monster and the big bad wolf are great examples of roller coasters which Disney can take on with themeing,even alpanguast would be along the lines of EE , the loch ness monster queue has EE museum elements to it. It is clearly possible for Disney to create a thrilling and great themed ride, they just need to do it!

Lochness, Big Bad Wold, and Alpengeist are all examples of what Disney wouldn't want. They show the barbones steel track of the coaster and have lackluster theming. Disney strives to have everything covered. Look at the extent they went through for Everest, Big Thunder, or RnR - all just to hide track.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
They hid the track, shame they havent maintained the ride since. But I digress.

The mention of Nemesis reminds me you can have the track showing if the surrounds have a bit of substance.

maryszhi

exactly!! this would be amazingly awesome! I hope they do it with the new animal kingdom expansion. i could see an avatar themed super coaster. It would make animal kingdom's crowds sky rocket. I could also see some coasters at the studios since they have the room. MK and Epcot are possible, but less likely then the other two due to space and such.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I think if this were to happen, it'd have to be in the same vein as the Mummy coaster at Uni. It's got some great themed rooms as well as great coaster sections.

HM Spectre

The problem with trying to compete in the "thrill business" is that it's a never ending arms race.

Exactly. I grew up an hour away from Cedar Point and live minutes away from King's Island now so I'm all too familiar with the barebones thrill ride concept. They definitely work to attract people at first but at some point, the thrill seekers are going to get bored with the old and want a new, bigger thrill... if that thrill is elsewhere, away the business goes. CP pops out one/multiple thrill rides/coasters every 2-4 years to try to keep up with the "arms race." Disney simply can't win that battle. It can't fund a coaster arms race while theming for the current "family" appeal at the same time and there's no point in putting a barebones coaster in the middle of meticulous theming anyway (CP's theming is non-existant and KI's is terrible as well since Cedar Fair bought them and Paramount exited).

Disney is best served doing what it's doing now regarding thrill rides. Well themed rides with milder thrills not only hold up to the test of time longer (where would Space Mountain rank in the country as a bare coaster?), they appeal to the broader audience that Disney targets. Throwing a single attraction into the middle of a family park isn't going to bring thrill seekers on vacation, it'll just appeal to Disney fans who like a good thrill ride and will probably be there for the family anyway. Then again, maybe that's why this discussion keeps popping up in the first place. ;)

wdwfan4ver

I could also see some coasters at the studios since they have the room.
I don't think there is the room at the studios as you think outside of where the Monsters. inc coaster was supposed to be unless they get a rid of ride of the backlot tour.

There is a catch with the studios adding a super fast coasters. Adding coasters is nice and wonderful, but there would have to be more family friendly rides also.

One of the problems with the problems with Toy Story Midway Manias crowds is there fact there needs to be more family friendly rides matter of fact.

chrissyw14

Lochness, Big Bad Wold, and Alpengeist are all examples of what Disney wouldn't want. They show the barbones steel track of the coaster and have lackluster theming. Disney strives to have everything covered. Look at the extent they went through for Everest, Big Thunder, or RnR - all just to hide track.

Obviously those coasters are not completely Disney ready but they are clearly on the right track, I'm sure Disney can use some of their magic to create something similar

And I get the whole arms race argument for the thrill ride business, but Disney isn't trying to create the biggest and fastest they are trying to create a story- if I wanted to ride the tallest and fastest coaster in the world I only need to drive 45 min but I would rather go to Disney for the full attractions.

I don't think the point is for Disney to actively compete in the "business" but only to have a couple more options since they can clearly do a great job as evidence by SM, BTM, EE, ToT, and RnR

Bairstow

Speaking of Disney coasters, has everyone seen the new Big Grizzly Mountain at Hong Kong Disneyland?
No inversions, but it's a still something of a technical tour-de-force with linear acceleration, reversals, and all kinds of special effects and Marc Davis-style animatronics.

I think there's potential for Disney to do some more innovative stuff with coasters.
Imagine what they could do with a ride system and budget on the scale of Crystal Wing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom