New Coaster

Bairstow

Those kind of coasters just aren't Disney! Just doesn't fit!

Neither did this...
354584030_Uv6Re-M-1.jpg

...before Tower of Terror, nor this...

jokersjinx.jpg

...before Rock n' Rollercoaster, nor even this...

log_flume_b1.jpg

...before Splash Mountain.

Yet all these thrill ride platforms translated just fine to the Disney park experience with the help of imagineers and in some cases set records and exceeded the intensity of their less-themed forerunners.

DisDadEddie

Neither did this...
354584030_Uv6Re-M-1.jpg

...before Tower of Terror, nor this...

jokersjinx.jpg

...before Rock n' Rollercoaster, nor even this...

log_flume_b1.jpg

...before Splash Mountain.

Yet all these thrill ride platforms translated just fine to the Disney park experience with the help of imagineers and in some cases set records and exceeded the intensity of their less-themed forerunners.
I don't see a large steel framed coaster standing in the park. If the coaster is themed like Everest than it makes sense. Thanks for stating the obvious with the photos. Getting use to the rude behavior used on this site.

chrissyw14

I agree, I don't think bairstow was trying to be rude or wanted too, we are suggesting that Disney can take thrill rides and DIsney-fy them and make them amazing and they have already done it several times before. Its like how some of us mentioned other rides that can belong in WDW and others have said no because they are not themed enough, the point is DIsney can further theme them :)

bubbles1812

I agree, I don't think bairstow was trying to be rude or wanted too, we are suggesting that Disney can take thrill rides and DIsney-fy them and make them amazing and they have already done it several times before. Its like how some of us mentioned other rides that can belong in WDW and others have said no because they are not themed enough, the point is DIsney can further theme them :)
Exactly. I understand what you were trying to get at Eddie but I didn't see Bairstow being rude at all. All those thrill rides were adapted by Disney. If you removed the mountain on Everest, you'd have a coaster similar to the one that Bairstow put in his post. Splash is a pretty simple log flume ride if you stripped it down to its bare parts. And TOT is a bit more complicated certainly than the standard drop towers but at the end of the day, the selling point for that ride is the drop sequence.

So saying that Disney couldn't take something like a mega coaster and turn it into something special and well themed or that it wouldn't fit...well, I remember people saying the exact same thing when Rockin' Roller Coaster was announced.

Personally, I'd love to see something like a mega coaster in the parks. It'd be a huge draw. And not everything has to be designed for every single person in the family...just look at virtually all of Storybook Circus for that. While I know some people take issue with that, from my perspective it's perfectly fine that not every ride is geared towards all age groups. Of course, if Disney added a mega coaster, I guess I'd say they should show some balance by putting in another one or two "family friendly" rides but a well themed mega coaster would be awesome! (And something unique to Disney as most mega coasters are not themed as has been stated in other posts). I don't think seeing part of the steel structure of a ride would make or break it. It would more depend on what they did do to theme it period for me to judge whether it's "Disney" or not...being "covered" doesn't always equal well themed. Don't sell the Imagineers short. I think they could do it and make it fit.

Daddymouse

Should Disney decide to add more thrill rides, they would make a conscious decision to get away from a family park where everyone should be able to enjoy the attractions. I know they have added some thrill rides to satisfy the daredevil in many of us. Most of the thrill rides that have been added can be enjoyed by preteens and up. Many younger kids cannot ride most of the coasters at a park like Cedar Point because they do not meet the ride restrictions. My own son could not ride several coasters at CP until he was 14, but he was able to ride everything at WDW when we were there for his 11th birthday.

bubbles1812

Should Disney decide to add more thrill rides, they would make a conscious decision to get away from a family park where everyone should be able to enjoy the attractions. I know they have added some thrill rides to satisfy the daredevil in many of us. Most of the thrill rides that have been added can be enjoyed by preteens and up. Many younger kids cannot ride most of the coasters at a park like Cedar Point because they do not meet the ride restrictions. My own son could not ride several coasters at CP until he was 14, but he was able to ride everything at WDW when we were there for his 11th birthday.

It's this attitude I don't quite understand...and I'm not knocking Daddy, it's fine you feel that way but I just don't get it. I don't think adding one mega thrill ride would indicate a conscious decision by Disney to move away from a family friendly atmosphere, particularly of they balanced out adding a thrill ride with one or two more family friendly attractions.

While the Disney parks as a whole are obviously very family friendly, there have always been attractions geared more towards one age group than another. For example, Dumbo, whether you love it as an adult or not, is a ride specifically geared more at the toddler age set. And Everest is geared more towards pre teens and above. I don't think one thrill ride geared towards teens/adult would hurt anything. It would probably help Disney at the end of the day because that's one demographic they don't do quite as well on. We can argue that maybe Disney doesn't want that age set but really, Disney wants everyone's money regardless of age.

Do I want Disney to become a six flags? No, of course not. But having one well themed big coaster wouldn't make disney six flags or not family friendly. Again as I said in my previous post, this would be something very unique to Disney and I think would keep in the Disney spirit if they still did detailed theming on it regardless of whether some of its steel structure was showing).

Plus, I guess you could make the argument that it would be something to entice your kids back to Disney as the grow up. Then you don't have to deal with your teenagers saying Disney is lame and uncool in their eyes (Not that always happens but it definitely isn't uncommon. My brothers outgrew Disney even prior to our last trip there.)

paul436

My example would be the Tower of Terror. In essence, it is a drop-ride similar to those found at county fairs. Ultimately, it is one of the best attractions at Disney World.
This pretty much sums it up for me. The theming and story told starting from the queue until you exit the ride is so immerive it takes you out of yourself. The lack of knowing when the drop will happen (for those first-time riders) is suspense at its best!

bubbles1812

what happens when your kids 16?
They say Disney is for babies and demand to go to Universal! ;)

I kid, I kid...sort of. Definitely it happens. And yes, once they grow up many eventually return but not all. I again use my brothers as a reference point...they liked Disney but didn't love it. And Disney won't be a priority for them even when they have kids most likely... There are plenty of other things to do with kids besides Disney, from their perspective. And while I love Disney, that will prob be my philosophy too. Going back every few years, sure, but I want my kids to experience other things too, including some of the other awesome theme parks out there (shocking I know but they do exist ;) )

wdwfan4ver

Having more extreme coasters is fine to a point. I know how teens and people in the 20's are. I was a teen and was in my 20's a while ago. Back when I was a teen, other teens wanted to go to Six Flags not Disney. Some of my old classmates as seniors in High School even skipped school to drive to Six Flags. They thought WDW was lame. I was not much of thrill ride person compare to them and I didn't skip school unlike them. My point is teens haven't changed when come to thrill rides if it the 1990's or today in that regard.

The other thing to look at is not all adults can or like going on extreme coasters. I know Adults who go on attractions like Dumbo without having kids, but don't go on coasters. The people I am talking about is people who have medical problems that prevent them for going on intermediate coasters or worse like heart issues, and other medical issues that doesn't have anything with a person's weight.

Having more Extreme Coasters would drew more teens in. The thing is it depends on how the theme park is for family friendly rides and if it blends in the theme of the park or the section of the park. DHS needs more Family friendly rides and is really one of the real reasons why Toy Story Midway Mania is so busy. The only way an Extreme Coaster could work there if a family friendly ride gets added and an extreme Coaster gets added too.

What needs to happen is have a good balance of attractions for multiple age groups and at the same don't assume every adult wants to go on a coaster or an extreme coaster.

Bairstow

I'd love to see what Disney could do with one of the current-generation dark ride/coaster hybrids like Mystery Mine, Verbolten, or The Curse of Novgorod.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom