New Coaster

bdearl41

Original Poster
When will Disney World get a world class coaster?????? I understand theming is not always easy on coasters but Busch Gardens has been very successful at Williamsburg, and Montu in Tampa is very well themed. Also Credit to Sea World with Manta. Disney World needs a world class coaster!

threeyoda

When will Disney World get a world class coaster?????? I understand theming is not always easy on coasters but Busch Gardens has been very successful at Williamsburg, and Montu in Tampa is very well themed. Also Credit to Sea World with Manta. Disney World needs a world class coaster!

Well maybe they're not world-class for thrills, but I'd say that Everest, Aerosmith and Big Thunder have pretty world class themes, and Big Thunder and Space Mountain are both considered classics in the roller coaster world. I don't think Disney needs a world class thrill coaster, those can be found at any local Six Flags. What makes Disney different is the themeing on their coasters

JiminyandTink

I guess there isn't much at WDW in the mold of the typical ammusement park thrill-ride coaster, but I would consider most of the ones they have as world class (Aerosmith, EE, Space, BTRM). I suppose there is a great oppourtunity for more with the Avatar expansion (I still believe) and maybe something Pixar related at DHS. Let's hope the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster will be great too.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney are not into building giant bare coasters, they leave that for the others to do. So don't expect to see one at WDW.

GrumpyFan

I guess that depends on what you mean by "world class". As others have pointed out, they have built new, innovative and highly themed coasters in the past, and even have one in the works right now in Fantasyland. Of course, they're not mega-thrill high speed, record setting, but you must admit they are very unique in their design and themeing. I'm somewhat of a thrill junkie as well, and enjoy high speeds, big drops, intense forces, but I don't expect those at Disney due to the demographics of their audience and I'm okay with it. I just know that if I want those kinds of experiences, I will have to go somewhere else.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The problem with trying to compete in the "thrill business" is that it's a never ending arms race. If Disney were to build the most exteme coaster on the planet this year, within two years there would be half dozen rides around the world that are more extreme. I much prefer Disney spend thier money on highly themed, immersive rides that will stand the test of time and won't be replaced by the next best thing in a year or two.

Epcot-Rules

Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens Tampa is another well themed coaster, 3 launches also.

rufio

Well maybe they're not world-class for thrills, but I'd say that Everest, Aerosmith and Big Thunder have pretty world class themes, and Big Thunder and Space Mountain are both considered classics in the roller coaster world. I don't think Disney needs a world class thrill coaster, those can be found at any local Six Flags. What makes Disney different is the themeing on their coasters

Agreed :)

rsoxguy

I may be mistaken, and I'm certain that I'll be corrected if I am, but I believe that Disney places the need for theme above the need for thrill. In a sense, a properly themed attraction is the thrill. My example would be the Tower of Terror. In essence, it is a drop-ride similar to those found at county fairs. Ultimately, it is one of the best attractions at Disney World. One can be totally immersed in the experience from the line outside to the gift shop, and everything in-between.

DisneyBeatles

I personally think there is a need for a great adrenaline pumpin ride (even more than TOT or RnRc), WITH great theming! Disney can get away with ANYTHING they want. Anytime I talk about their rides with other teens/young adults hey all say the rides are for babies and aren't thrilling enough. Now I absolutely DO NOT expect Disney to be like Six Flags and just build some random coaster, but they are very capable of building rides for other age groups or more thrill ride oriened people

Laura

Premium Member
I may be mistaken, and I'm certain that I'll be corrected if I am, but I believe that Disney places the need for theme above the need for thrill. In a sense, a properly themed attraction is the thrill. My example would be the Tower of Terror. In essence, it is a drop-ride similar to those found at county fairs. Ultimately, it is one of the best attractions at Disney World. One can be totally immersed in the experience from the line outside to the gift shop, and everything in-between.

Totally agree. Rock N Rollercoaster would also be incredibly lame if it was a bare bones coaster sitting on pavement somewhere.

07vanquish

I agree on the concept of Disney World needing another thrilling coaster, but certainly not a barebones coaster. It would have to be properly themed and family friendly. However, since everest, there hasn't been a major thrill ride added in the parks and I believe that it's hurting the teenage demographic. RNRC, TOT, TT and EE are great rides but becoming dated. That would be the main reason for a new coaster, but it would eat up any budget for other projects. Thats the reason it will probably be a while before anything of this matter is announced and adressed.

Florida_is_hot

When I was a kid could not wait for me to be tall enough.
When I was a teenager had day passes loved the things.
When I turned 20 loved them but started to notice the kids.
When I turned 30 they were ok but the kids were very annoying
When I turned 40 I found I could live with out them
When I turned 50 well if there is no theming or entertainment value I would avoid roller coasters

Walt Disney World is for people of all ages, roller coasters in my way of thinking is for young people only.

6 Flags, etc.... are not theme parks.
They have an audience but it is no longer me.

I would love it if Walt Disney World build a roller coaster park Be like the water parks not everybody uses them but if WDW had a park with the tallest, longest, fastest roller coasters young people would mob the place.

ariel90

I don't frequent the official Disney site like I used to but when I did they have attractions sectioned by age. I think what they are trying to say is that they have something for everyone. It seems like when they build something they have a crowd in mind and it seems to me that the young adult, teenagers, and pre teen crowd is over looked.As a result they lose those dollars to Universal. Every ride does not have to be a coaster but one more wouldn't hurt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom