New CM Uniforms across HS

Jon81uk

Feels worse for some things than others. Muppets should have its own costume. But the Indiana Jones show, it doesn't feel like as big a issue.
Similarly at DAK, Africa and Asia should of course be different, and within Asia, Kali rapids and Everest should have different costumes reflecting that one is in the jungle and the other in the mountains, but the bar next to Everest would be fine in the same costume as the ride team and similarly next to Kali the retail team could wear the same as the ride team.

bUU

This is Muppet Vision 3D we're talking about. Though I love the attraction, I find it surprising that the attraction is still open - definitely not consistent with Walt's "moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things" philosophy. Folks who experience anguish over this should gird themselves for the possibility that one day this attraction will be gone. They've already genericized the outside of the attraction to some extent; when the finally do shutter it, hopefully they'll use the building for a new attraction rather than leaving it empty for a long period of time.

PorterRedkey

Many areas of the park use consolidated costumes now. All of Asia uses the same costume now. Previously Everest, Kali, flights/maharajah, merch, and foods all used seperate costumes. Now they are all one.

Main entrance, discovered island, and rafikis/wildlife express were also consolidated. In that case about 7-8 different costumes became one.
That is so sad.

Disney is taking away all the “little” things. Walt insisted on leather straps for the stagecoaches because people would notice the perfection.
In this case it is not about something that puts you into the theme, its about a costume that takes you out of the theme.

By itself it’s not a huge deal, but combined with other small cuts it’s increasingly more noticeable and is starting to degrade the total Disney experience.

You know those awful inspirational poster with a one trait (Courage, Integrity, Patience, etc..). I bet they have one at TDO that says “MYOPIC” or “SHORTSIGHTED”.

dhslxop

All of the theaters at DHS have been using the same costume for many many years - Fantasmic, Theater of the Stars, Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy, Frozen, Indiana Jones, Jedi Training, Path of the Jedi, etc. It was a blue and grey camp-style shirt and black pants. The new costume technically fits the park more - it is quite literally a color palette that is inspired by the main entrance/security/skyliner/bus shelters.

Mermaid and Disney Jr. have now adopted the same look. They had been using a red shirt and khaki shorts/pants combo. This costume had been used as the "backlot" parts of the park - Backlot Tour used this same generic look before it closed.
My point is, all they did was change "what" the costume is. It's not getting rid of some sort of thematic costume and replacing it for another. None of these areas had their own, individual themed costumes before hand. The theaters have always had the same costume. This isn't taking away the bellhop costume and replacing it with a polo that says "Disney's Hollywood Studios" on it.

The only location of this new costume that may be a bit controversial is Muppetvision. But, again, the new idea is that the theater is Grand Arts Theater, presenting MuppetVision 3D. The show is no longer being held "at" Muppet Labs. Now, whether or not this makes sense with the story presented in the movie is a COMPLETELY different topic. But since a themeing decision has been made that, at least from teh outside, you are not supposed to be at the Muppet Labs, but are instead at the Grand Arts Theater, it makes sense that the costume is the "theaters" costume. It's the same way that it's Theater of the Stars presenting Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage, or the Harambe Theater presenting Festival of the Lion King, or Theater in the Wild presenting Finding Nemo the Musical. The costumes at those venues aren't inspired by "what" is being presented inside, they are inspired by the theater's story-telling.

Even the area-specific costumes are not a new thing. Tomorrowland attractions (minus the speedway) all use the same costume, and have for many many years. Many areas of Studios food & beverage (particularly ODV) have used the same costume - despite where they are located.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is Muppet Vision 3D we're talking about. Though I love the attraction, I find it surprising that the attraction is still open - definitely not consistent with Walt's "moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things" philosophy. Folks who experience anguish over this should gird themselves for the possibility that one day this attraction will be gone. They've already genericized the outside of the attraction to some extent; when the finally do shutter it, hopefully they'll use the building for a new attraction rather than leaving it empty for a long period of time.
Knew we could count on you.

Now if we could just get the "lol, We don't care about costumes. As long as the rides are fun we will keep coming back. lol"

peter11435

All of the theaters at DHS have been using the same costume for many many years - Fantasmic, Theater of the Stars, Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy, Frozen, Indiana Jones, Jedi Training, Path of the Jedi, etc. It was a blue and grey camp-style shirt and black pants. The new costume technically fits the park more - it is quite literally a color palette that is inspired by the main entrance/security/skyliner/bus shelters.

Mermaid and Disney Jr. have now adopted the same look. They had been using a red shirt and khaki shorts/pants combo. This costume had been used as the "backlot" parts of the park - Backlot Tour used this same generic look before it closed.
My point is, all they did was change "what" the costume is. It's not getting rid of some sort of thematic costume and replacing it for another. None of these areas had their own, individual themed costumes before hand. The theaters have always had the same costume. This isn't taking away the bellhop costume and replacing it with a polo that says "Disney's Hollywood Studios" on it.

The only location of this new costume that may be a bit controversial is Muppetvision. But, again, the new idea is that the theater is Grand Arts Theater, presenting MuppetVision 3D. The show is no longer being held "at" Muppet Labs. Now, whether or not this makes sense with the story presented in the movie is a COMPLETELY different topic. But since a themeing decision has been made that, at least from teh outside, you are not supposed to be at the Muppet Labs, but are instead at the Grand Arts Theater, it makes sense that the costume is the "theaters" costume. It's the same way that it's Theater of the Stars presenting Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage, or the Harambe Theater presenting Festival of the Lion King, or Theater in the Wild presenting Finding Nemo the Musical. The costumes at those venues aren't inspired by "what" is being presented inside, they are inspired by the theater's story-telling.

Even the area-specific costumes are not a new thing. Tomorrowland attractions (minus the speedway) all use the same costume, and have for many many years. Many areas of Studios food & beverage (particularly ODV) have used the same costume - despite where they are located.
All true. Muppets is the only real loss here and a case can be made that it’s slightly more fitting given the grand art theater change. However there is no excuse for what has happened at Animal Kingdom and will continue to happen.

dhslxop

All true. Muppets is the only real loss here and a case can be made that it’s slightly more fitting given the grand art theater change. However there is no excuse for what has happened at Animal Kingdom and will continue to happen.

I agree with the costumes at DAK - particularly the main entrance, tree area, discovery island. (honestly, the changes at Asia don't bother me as much, though I can understand why they might). The only thing about the Discovery Island and main entrance costumes that I happen to really like is that they give the CM a little bit of their own voice - they all have different animals on them, and I like that the CMs can choose which endangered animals they want to represent. Also, my interpretation, which may be incorrect, but it's the way that I have perceived it, is that the mosaic nature of the costume is supposed to be representative of the style Tree of Life - there is supposed to be a sense of awe, a sense of wonder, as you discover the animals. The animal patterns may not be immediately noticeable, but as you begin to get closer, they start to appear and take on their own shapes. They inspire conversation and a deeper meaning.

eddie104

Well the good thing about the uniforms is that they can be easily be changed. You make some really good points and soften the blow a little by explaining some reasoning behind it.

YodaMan

I belive the costume for Walt Disney Presents changed as well. Not the end of the world, but another example of a themed costume (black pants, white shirt, Mickey vest) being replaced with something generic that doesn’t match the building.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Many areas of the park use consolidated costumes now. All of Asia uses the same costume now. Previously Everest, Kali, flights/maharajah, merch, and foods all used seperate costumes. Now they are all one.

Main entrance, discovered island, and rafikis/wildlife express were also consolidated. In that case about 7-8 different costumes became one.

Yet many will continue to tell others they don't know what they are talking about when they say things have been reduced... Their vacations are just fine... ugh

Next Big Thing

Universal just did something similar and while it was in part for cost, it was also for practicality. If, say, someone went to an area, but was then told they were needed elsewhere, they would need to go back to costuming to change. Now, they can just go to the area. I assume the same thing applies here at DHS. While it is a shame to lose the unique costumes, I get why they're doing it, especially when only about 1% of actual attendees will notice the difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom