New CM Uniforms across HS

TrainsOfDisney

While it is a shame to lose the unique costumes, I get why they're doing it, especially when only about 1% of actual attendees will notice the difference.

“Oh, people are not going to get that.” This sentiment is often used in business to excuse substandard work. I happen to think it is the height of arrogance to assert that other theoretical “people” are not going to understand something that you yourself understand. Like you are better or something. That means your theoretical world of people is full of dumb people. Mine is full of smart, curious people. “
- Joe Rohde

TrainsOfDisney

Maybe someone needs to post a comparison between the old and new ones for this park and see which one looks better. :)

That actually has nothing to do with the point.... the point is that attractions that used to have specific costumes, now have generic ones. While we are still far away from six flags polos, it’s a step in that direction.

The new costumes are very nice design wise in my opinion.

tissandtully

Do you still have to pick up your wardrobe in the morning before your shift or are you allowed to take it home? When I worked at Universal, we had to pick up our wardrobe every morning. I believe they are still doing individual themed wardrobe there, though they do get a lot of cross theming with TMs walking in different lands while in wardrobe and also the parking garages.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Why don't they have the CM's just go buy ('cause why not pass along the cost) some Dickies? Then TDC can sell (why not turn it into a profit center while we're at it) them patches with their names on it and have them iron them on. Nothing says unity and diversity like a pair of Dickies. Then you can have "uniform inspections" and fine the CM's not in compliance (Look! A whole new revenue stream.)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
How are CMs trained? Ride specific? Land specific? Is streamlining costumes about easier staff shuffling?
In Adventureland... You’re technically Adventureland AND Liberty Square.

Pirates CMs are only for that attraction. Same for Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion. Treehouse, tiki room, and carpets are all under the Sam CMs in rotation. I’m unsure about presidents/riverboat.

I’m assuming it’s something similar across the rest of the resort. Attractions CMs are land specific, and sometimes either 1 ride or 2 to 3 ride rotations.

The unified costumes for HS probably make it more flexible to train CMs at multiple attractions like muppets, voyage, ect. Smaller easier attractions to operate seem to rotate CMs like that. So if they’re short somewhere now, they don’t have to worry about the costumes.

Could explain why at Universal, there was a worker at the make up show usher in a shrek 4D costume.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

“Oh, people are not going to get that.” This sentiment is often used in business to excuse substandard work. I happen to think it is the height of arrogance to assert that other theoretical “people” are not going to understand something that you yourself understand. Like you are better or something. That means your theoretical world of people is full of dumb people. Mine is full of smart, curious people. “
- Joe Rohde
Kudos! :geek:

Jon81uk

In mid January(for example) when they routinely understaff and wait times suffer, being able to shuffle staff may help that out. (Of course they should staff properly to begin with, but we all know that they don’t.)

The attractions in Hollywood Studios with the generic costuming are all shows. The rides still have specifics.

At Animal Kingdom it will only help if cast move from Kali Rapids to Everest. Africa and Asia have different costumes as does Dinoland etc.

TrojanUSC

This was a long time coming since they stopped having cast members get dressed each day before their shift 15+ years ago. Now CMs take their uniforms home. This allowed them to stop paying for the changing time and to drastically cut the costuming hours. With that change, it's became harder for a CM who's scheduled at Muppets, for example, to go over and help at Indiana Jones. This also explains why you see Tower of Terror bellhops filling up gas on 535. It was a huge blow to the overall show of the resort when they made that change. The irony of it all is that not much money was saved as so many transient CMs (seasonal, CPs, IPs, etc) never return their costumes.

tirian

Phil Holmes, right?

He ran the MK into the ground and every VP after him had to schedule mega-maintenance to fix the park; then he was rewarded by being moved to DHS just in time to take credit for SWGE. I guess his portrait in Belle’s Village wasn’t enough for his ego.

Does anyone remember when MK CMs started an April Fools rumor Phil had been sacked for his constant budget cuts, and that the Space Mt. refurb cut was the final straw?

That “joke” was surprisingly pointed commentary on his reign over the MK, and it came from within the park itself.

mergatroid

All of the theaters at DHS have been using the same costume for many many years - Fantasmic, Theater of the Stars, Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy, Frozen, Indiana Jones, Jedi Training, Path of the Jedi, etc. It was a blue and grey camp-style shirt and black pants. The new costume technically fits the park more - it is quite literally a color palette that is inspired by the main entrance/security/skyliner/bus shelters.

Mermaid and Disney Jr. have now adopted the same look. They had been using a red shirt and khaki shorts/pants combo. This costume had been used as the "backlot" parts of the park - Backlot Tour used this same generic look before it closed.
My point is, all they did was change "what" the costume is. It's not getting rid of some sort of thematic costume and replacing it for another. None of these areas had their own, individual themed costumes before hand. The theaters have always had the same costume. This isn't taking away the bellhop costume and replacing it with a polo that says "Disney's Hollywood Studios" on it.

The only location of this new costume that may be a bit controversial is Muppetvision. But, again, the new idea is that the theater is Grand Arts Theater, presenting MuppetVision 3D. The show is no longer being held "at" Muppet Labs. Now, whether or not this makes sense with the story presented in the movie is a COMPLETELY different topic. But since a themeing decision has been made that, at least from teh outside, you are not supposed to be at the Muppet Labs, but are instead at the Grand Arts Theater, it makes sense that the costume is the "theaters" costume. It's the same way that it's Theater of the Stars presenting Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage, or the Harambe Theater presenting Festival of the Lion King, or Theater in the Wild presenting Finding Nemo the Musical. The costumes at those venues aren't inspired by "what" is being presented inside, they are inspired by the theater's story-telling.

Even the area-specific costumes are not a new thing. Tomorrowland attractions (minus the speedway) all use the same costume, and have for many many years. Many areas of Studios food & beverage (particularly ODV) have used the same costume - despite where they are located.

What an interesting post.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Blog Mickey has pointed out that the CMs at Muppet Vision have lost their themed costumes and now wear the same ones as the park entrance CMs, additionally the site that shall not be named has pointed out that this change has also impacted Indiana Jones, Trials of the Temple, and several other locations across the park. Is this a temporary thing or permanent? (I pray it is not; this seems extremely lazy on Disney's end!)

What is the site that shall not be named?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom