News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

Smooth

We have been told we are not supposed to question individuals about what offends them. If we do, that means we don't get it and are part of the problem. 🤷‍♂️

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I feel it was only a matter of time before having separate rules for females and males would turn into an issue, this change was getting ahead of it. However I think it just went a bit too extreme. I would have preferred that tattoos still remained covered, nail color to be neutral, and only one set of matching earrings. Ill never get used to Cast having tattoos visible.

TrainsOfDisney

I feel it was only a matter of time before having separate rules for females and males would turn into an issue, this change was getting ahead of it. However I think it just went a bit too extreme. I would have preferred that tattoos still remained covered, nail color to be neutral, and only one set of matching earrings. Ill never get used to Cast having tattoos visible.
Also being able to shave designs and words into your hair.

MickeyLuv'r

If we're going to care this strongly about Disney employees' "roles", then really we should be complaining about every CM that isn't performing on the level of First Order CM's at RotR. The fact is 90% of your CM interactions will be unthemed, so why does it also matter if they have a tattoo?

It is, quite frankly, honestly pretty ridiculous to expect people who are already doing so much more and putting up with so much more for the pay rate to also be "performing" at all times to the point where they're not allowed to be themselves. CM's choose to work at Disney, any of them could get another similar paying job that allows them to do comparatively nothing for the same pay rate or higher. If the company refuses to adapt to the times, people have less and less incentive to want to work there over an easier job.
It is always wise to treat people with respect. We should do it when we are at work, when we are customers, and when we are posting on forums. It is disappointing whenever we don't succeed.

It is Disney's responsibility to determine what they expect from their employees. So long as Disney's expectations are legal, they are able to find enough employees to staff their parks, and their business model is thriving, consistency is probably a wise choice.

If, on the other hand, it is determined that their company is not thriving for any of the above reasons, a modification would likely be the best course of action.

To the best of my knowledge, Disney has created a successful theme park business overall, but Galaxy's Edge has not been as successful as the company initially hoped. I would therefore anticipate some modifications.

Here in this forum, I am of the opinion that effective word choice helps all of us communicate in ways that we can all enjoy. When Disney calls some of their employees Cast Members, they are indicating the type of conduct they expect from that employee. My post was primarily focused on terminology.

A number of the posts in this forum read like people yelling at each other, when a little better word choice would considerably improve this forum for everyone. Again, it is always wise to treat people with respect.

G00fyDad

At what point do they stop calling it the 'Disney Look'? I feel like everything that defined it as the Disney Look has gone away over the last 10 years.

I don't think they'll be rocking this bad boy anytime soon.
9952cc73ec5ee3b57db7256731539df9.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

At what point do they stop calling it the 'Disney Look'? I feel like everything that defined it as the Disney Look has gone away over the last 10 years.
That’s my question as well. The “Disney Difference” was always a high standard that went above and beyond the normal standards. Now Delta and In-N-Out have higher standards than Disney.

Lilofan

WDW has always had a staffing problem period. A number of times they were offering sign on cash bonuses to work in housekeeping, culinary, etc. Lowering/ changing their grooming standards will help them attract applicants that otherwise would not apply. The one aspect that Disney does check on and could affect the new applicant is the customary criminal background check that could weed out the riff raff. One advantage of hiring more staffing is that it would bring down the overtime pay that some may be getting due to their work teams being understaffed. As an business owner would one rather pay OT or straight time on a regular basis.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I feel in the last year Disney went from timeless and classic to “trendy and hip”. I’m not sure what the catalyst was, and I don’t think the shallow job pool is the main culprit. Is it Josh? Something in upper management has changed, and I think 2020/2021 will be the year that we lost the traditional Disney and moved to the streaming Disney, and I don’t see it ever reversing. Social media has hijacked the company’s public image and this Disney Look change is just one of many outcomes. Unless we one day end up with a super classic old school CEO who tried to return the company to its roots, this is the new normal.

Lilofan

I feel in the last year Disney went from timeless and classic to “trendy and hip”. I’m not sure what the catalyst was, and I don’t think the shallow job pool is the main culprit. Is it Josh? Something in upper management has changed, and I think 2020/2021 will be the year that we lost the traditional Disney and moved to the streaming Disney, and I don’t see it ever reversing. Social media has hijacked the company’s public image and this Disney Look change is just one of many outcomes. Unless we one day end up with a super classic old school CEO who tried to return the company to its roots, this is the new normal.
Check out the popular Florida Mall in Orlando for locals and tourists. Trendy and hip stores far outnumber timeless and classic stores by a wide margin. This is the current workforce whether we like it or not.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Check out the popular Florida Mall in Orlando for locals and tourists. Trendy and hip stores far outnumber timeless and classic stores by a wide margin. This is the current workforce whether we like it or not.
It’s true. I will continue to follow the original Disney Look at work because that’s how I was hired. Guess I’m just not that trendy lol

gkr889

I feel in the last year Disney went from timeless and classic to “trendy and hip”. I’m not sure what the catalyst was, and I don’t think the shallow job pool is the main culprit. Is it Josh? Something in upper management has changed, and I think 2020/2021 will be the year that we lost the traditional Disney and moved to the streaming Disney, and I don’t see it ever reversing. Social media has hijacked the company’s public image and this Disney Look change is just one of many outcomes. Unless we one day end up with a super classic old school CEO who tried to return the company to its roots, this is the new normal
Disney realized that "timeless and classic" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. It doesn't mean the same thing to all of their employees nor their customers. For some people a Midwest, turn of the 19th century town may just be a kitch-y aesthetic but to others it's a painful reminder of our country's past and not very escapist. Finding a place to exist between these things where we can both celebrate what is interesting about the past and celebrate how much we've evolved since is an admirable goal. Caring about the experience of your employees while you ask them to go above and beyond is also an admirable goal.

TP2000

Also, the minimum wage for DL employees is $15. And by this October, the union employees at WDW will also have a $15 minimum (which is 175% of FL minimum wage and 207% of Federal minimum wage). I'm sure there may be exceptions to this, such as with college students, but they get their tuition paid for by Disney.

While I think Disney should do more to provide a "living wage" to those who necessarily live where the cost of living is relatively high... it's not like the relaxation of dress code is to scrape the bottom of the $8/hr barrel.

The legal minimum wage in California is currently $14 an hour. In 8 months the legal minimum wage in California increases to $15.

That's the same starting rate for Disneyland employees. In other words, Disneyland employees earn minimum wage in California and have annual pay raises measured in a few dimes and nickels.

Lowering standards for employment makes the labor pool larger and depresses future wage growth for those employees.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom