News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

TP2000

You'll have to ask TP about it. He was the one taking to his fainting couch at the thought of a CM at the Tiki Room baring a skull tat.

I think a Tiki Room hostess reaching up to wake up Jose and baring her skull tat, or tat of her dead abuelita, or that "You Only Live Once" tat she now regrets getting at Myrtle Beach in 2013 is tacky.

el_super

That’s my question as well. The “Disney Difference” was always a high standard that went above and beyond the normal standards. Now Delta and In-N-Out have higher standards than Disney.

Not at all. In the 1960s, the thing that set the Disney Look apart from other organizations was the strong culture of uniformity. In 2021, what is going to set the Disney Look apart is the culture of inclusion and recognizing differences. There are standards here, they just have a different direction than what the standards of 1955 were.

In fact, making the Disney Look a standard bearer for diversity and inclusion is a bolder move now, than the original Disney Look was in the 1960s.

TP2000

Look at that. A CM making good choices that works with their land... perhaps CMs are capable of sound judgement?

I think that looks perfectly reasonable, especially for their area.

It looks fine. All I can see that this guy did was paint his nails to match his little scarf thing?

No tats. No pearl drop earrings.

phillip9698

Disney realized that "timeless and classic" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. It doesn't mean the same thing to all of their employees nor their customers. For some people a Midwest, turn of the 19th century town may just be a kitch-y aesthetic but to others it's a painful reminder of our country's past and not very escapist. Finding a place to exist between these things where we can both celebrate what is interesting about the past and celebrate how much we've evolved since is an admirable goal. Caring about the experience of your employees while you ask them to go above and beyond is also an admirable goal.

I don't think a lot of people here realize it but "timeless and classic" to a good portion of the country reads as "I need to do everything I can to make certain people more comfortable with me". There is a way to look outside of outdated norms and still carry yourself in a presentable manner.

TP2000

In fact, making the Disney Look a standard bearer for diversity and inclusion is a bolder move now, than the original Disney Look was in the 1960s.

The Disneyland Look standards of the 1960's were very conventional and rather mundane for that time. The Disneyland Look standards were also more lax than grooming/appearance standards in other customer service jobs like airlines, swanky offices, etc.

The Disneyland Look was only unique because they brought a noticeably higher standard to an industry, amusement parks, that had notoriously low standards of employee appearance for decades prior to Disneyland

These are 1960's Carnies working at the Santa Monica Pier.

EJnOSIGUUAAPza0.jpg

These are 1960's Disneyland Hosts and Hostesses working in Anaheim.

kdsvbelrhb4liiu1y3iuh43.jpg

Same amusement park industry, same decade, very different looks.

TP2000

I feel it was only a matter of time before having separate rules for females and males would turn into an issue, this change was getting ahead of it. However I think it just went a bit too extreme. I would have preferred that tattoos still remained covered, nail color to be neutral, and only one set of matching earrings. Ill never get used to Cast having tattoos visible.

Exactly.

Some of these changes for employees with religious beliefs were needed and are appropriate.

But a lot of these changes are simply lowering standards.

It absolutely fascinates me and makes me laugh to see that they have multiple paragraphs about how to wear sunglasses, but have only 14 words about how to wear makeup for both genders. And then the tattoo rules are very vague and a mile wide on what they mean.

They've got endless rules about how to wear sunglasses, what kind of glasses and frames and lenses are allowed and when to remove them at work, but they don't make a man remove his spangly-dangly matching earrings before he goes to work in Liberty Square. Because apparently requiring him to not wear flashy sunglasses and instructing him to remove his bland sunglasses during certain customer interactions is totally fine, but asking him to remove his spangly-dangly earrings while he performs as an 1880's butler is not okay?

That's just... weird. :oops:

Patcheslee

As far as the look changes they don't seem to be extreme to me. If anything a CM with a tattoo may get an extra glance because I'm admiring it. Or I'm horrendous with names, but a CM working in X area with Y tattoo being exceptionally kind is memorable and easy for me to remember.

Sir_Cliff

The Disneyland Look standards of the 1960's were very conventional and rather mundane for that time. The Disneyland Look standards were also more lax than grooming/appearance standards in other customer service jobs like airlines, swanky offices, etc.

The Disneyland Look was only unique because they brought a noticeably higher standard to an industry, amusement parks, that had notoriously low standards of employee appearance for decades prior to Disneyland

These are 1960's Carnies working at the Santa Monica Pier.

EJnOSIGUUAAPza0.jpg

These are 1960's Disneyland Hosts and Hostesses working in Anaheim.

kdsvbelrhb4liiu1y3iuh43.jpg

Same amusement park industry, same decade, very different looks.
Aren't you more or less proving the point of those who don't feel these updated standards are a big deal: In the context of their time, the 1950s/60s "Disney Look" and the updated 2021 version are above industry standard but not extreme?

TP2000

Aren't you more or less proving the point of those who don't feel these updated standards are a big deal: In the context of their time, the 1950s/60s "Disney Look" and the updated 2021 version are above industry standard but not extreme?

Some of these changes fall into that category. Notably those accommodating religious or cultural beliefs.

But several do not.

I do not think it is extreme to ask a man playing an 1880's butler to take off his matching pearl-drop earrings before he goes on stage to perform his role.

I do not think it is extreme to ask the hostess at the Tiki Room to cover up her ill-advised You Only Live Once tat on her forearm she got at a Myrtle Beach strip mall in 2013.

And yet Disney management has still retained its ability, spelled out in multiple paragraphs, to dictate what kind of sunglasses an employee may wear and when they must be removed when performing their jobs.

It's really odd how that works in HR. Sunglass regulations appear to be some sort of holy ground they dare not cross. 🤣

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I’m confused, are you only allowed one visible tattoo smaller than your hand? Or are you allowed as many tattoos as you want as long as they are smaller than your hand?

disneygeek90

I’m confused, are you only allowed one visible tattoo smaller than your hand? Or are you allowed as many tattoos as you want as long as they are smaller than your hand?
I’m actually not super sure but how many people have multiple isolated visible tattoos smaller than their hand? I think they’re trying to still control the full sleeve look more than anything.

gkr889

This is not a criticism of the quality of Disney's storytelling but a legitimate question: When you go to a Disney Park, is it really so UNBELIVABLE IMMERISVE that you've entered into a separate reality and a tattoo is going to break the fourth wall and throw the whole experience? The hordes of people in flip-flops and sweat pants haven't already done that to you by that point?

disneygeek90

This is not a criticism of the quality of Disney's storytelling but a legitimate question: When you go to a Disney Park, is it really so UNBELIVABLE IMMERISVE that you've entered into a separate reality and a tattoo is going to break the fourth wall and throw the whole experience? The hordes of people in flip-flops and sweat pants haven't already done that to you by that point?
And don’t forget, the covid masks and face shields. I completely forget we’re in a pandemic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom