New Center Stage at Disney's Hollywood Studios

gmajew

Premium Member
Noticed that the cover has been removed in the more recent shot unveiling that Earffile Tower is the Icon...
Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_24031.jpg

It actually looks way better then last year. If they don't do the back drop and keep this as it I can not complain. As it is only temporary.

Arthur Wellesley

Have to ask - why did they bother tearing the Hat down? Just to block the theater with a new eyesore?
Someone high up on the TDO ladder is apparently repulsed by that theater. Whether it be a Hat, stage, you name it...they want that theater covered by something one way or another. They are ashamed of the theater's existence as a main focal point, and will even revamp park guide maps to not display the theater's front architecture. They will pull all the stops to make sure guests are looking at that water tower over in the far corner of park boundaries, saying: "See, THAT is what you're supposed to be focused on. That is what represents this place. Not this theater. Nothing to see here but a stage, now move along."

The Chinese Theater: What once shined as a brilliant centralized beacon has now become the park's Quasimodo.

(Okay, that may have been a little over-dramatic, but needless to say I am not happy with this). :(

AndyS2992

Someone high up on the TDO ladder is apparently repulsed by that theater. Whether it be a Hat, stage, you name it...they want that theater covered by something one way or another. They are ashamed of the theater's existence as a main focal point, and will even revamp park guide maps to not display the theater's front architecture. They will pull all the stops to make sure guests are looking at that water tower over in the far corner of park boundaries, saying: "See, THAT is what you're supposed to be focused on. That is what represents this place. Not this theater. Nothing to see here but a stage, now move along."

The Chinese Theater: What once shined as a brilliant centralized beacon has now become the park's Quasimodo.

(Okay, that may have been a little over-dramatic, but needless to say I am not happy with this). :(
An interesting and believable theory, but realistically:
1. The hat went up to be a focal point of a celebration, and where is the busiest part of the park where it would be seen by everyone? The centre of the park, in front of the the theatre, unfortunately.
2. Why did it stay up so long? Because tearing it down would cost money and we all know TDO does not like spending money unless they really have to.
3. The theatre is not seen on the map as all Disney Parks maps now show parks accurately geographically, or as they would be seen from space. Unfortunately the theatre happens to be facing away when positioned this way. Just unfortunate.
4. The stage has a canopy because it creates shade for the performers below who can be stood there for up to an hour at a time, it also protects electrical equipment which would probably over heat and/melt in direct sunlight and Florida heat as well as protect it from the rain. The MK stage doesn't have a canopy because the shows there are short and there are no computers, TV screens or other electronics that would get damaged in the rain.

Arthur Wellesley

1. The hat went up to be a focal point of a celebration, and where is the busiest part of the park where it would be seen by everyone? The centre of the park, in front of the the theatre, unfortunately.
2. Why did it stay up so long? Because tearing it down would cost money and we all know TDO does not like spending money unless they really have to.
3. The theatre is not seen on the map as all Disney Parks maps now show parks accurately geographically, or as they would be seen from space. Unfortunately the theatre happens to be facing away when positioned this way. Just unfortunate.
4. The stage has a canopy because it creates shade for the performers below who can be stood there for up to an hour at a time, it also protects electrical equipment which would probably over heat and/melt in direct sunlight and Florida heat as well as protect it from the rain. The MK stage doesn't have a canopy because the shows there are short and there are no computers, TV screens or other electronics that would get damaged in the rain.
While your points make 10x more sense than the majority of what I said...logic has no place in my grief right now. That theater is my childhood; my memories, and seeing it covered like a shunned blemish is quite frankly disturbi...okay, I'm getting over-dramatic again.

Monorail_Red_77

Point # 4 is mostly correct. The electronics and lighting for the MK stage are housed in the two control booths that were on either side of the stage at the north end of the hub, before all of the hub construction began. Now they will be housed in the four turrets that will flank either side of the castle stage area at the north end of the hub. So maybe they can do something like this at DHS when they build the new stage so that it doesn't have to look too cheap and temporary. Any carnie person can rig up a stage like the current temporary one that has been used for hopefully the last time in forever (wink wink). TDO can and should do better.

SRQtech

Why does this stage need the huge canopy? The stage in front of the Castle doesn't.

The canopy is to protect the lighting gear as it is all exposed and the moving lights are no outdoor rated and are not in protective domes like the ones at fantasmic or the tomorrowland stage are.

mp2bill

I hope they don't put up a permanent stage. I'd rather have the hat back if all they're going to do is obscure the view of the theater again.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
More angles of the stage and screen from yesterday, 5/7/2015
View attachment 92195 View attachment 92196

GMR, both the building and the ride, looked fantastic. There is a little work that needs to be done, like the ripples on the background behind John Wayne in the western scene.

When not in use, they should have the screen show an image of the part of the theatre that it is hiding, sort of a digital scrim. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom